80 MPH motorways... ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Charles Morgan said:
Driving on a four lane section of the M40 yesterday, the de facto speed limit was 60 because for one car in the inner lane at 55, there were two in the next lane at 57 then three in the next lane at 58. The remaining 100 in the outer lane were behind someone overtaking at 60.
Sunday drivers. Try driving on the M40 at weekday commute times and you'll feel as though you've stopped if you travel at an indicated 70mph. Totally valid point about (lack of) lane discipline though.

As anyone who has driven on a motorway in the UK recently will attest, the defacto "limit" is around 80mph, not 70. As such, all that raising the legal limit would do is cease to criminalise the regular actions of a large number of people. It will not change the use of fuel or the accident rate one jot.

No it wouldn't because all the people travelling at 80mph under a 70mph limit now would be travelling at 90 mph under a 80mph limit. :wallbash: The problem is that 70 mph is already "stretching" the ability of many existing cars and drivers beyond reasonable limits. :crazy: While the performance of many modern cars has improved in recent years in terms of handling and safety its doubtful the abilities of the average driver have? :(

No it wouldn't because all the people travelling at 80mph under a 70mph limit now would be travelling at 90 mph under a 80mph limit. :wallbash: The problem is that 70 mph is already "stretching" the ability of many existing cars and drivers beyond reasonable limits. :crazy: While the performance of many modern cars has improved in recent years in terms of handling and safety its doubtful the abilities of the average driver have? :(
Ahh, the "people will just break the new limit by the same amount" argument. Which may or may not be true, of course.

What puzzles me somewhat is that UK drivers are apparently completely unsafe at speeds above 70mph (112kph) and therefore must be compelled to drive no faster than that, yet our continental cousins - driving the same vehicles - are deemed to be acceptably safe at speeds of up to 130kph (France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, etc) or 120kph (Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, etc). Perhaps its something in the water? :dk: :rolleyes:

While the performance of many modern cars has improved in recent years in terms of handling and safety its doubtful the abilities of the average driver have? :(

Interesting survey once found that 76% of drivers believed themselves to be safer than the average, and 65% believed themselves more skilful drivers than the average - I think some of them will be disappointed!

Ahh, the "people will just break the new limit by the same amount" argument. Which may or may not be true, of course.

What puzzles me somewhat is that UK drivers are apparently completely unsafe at speeds above 70mph (112kph) and therefore must be compelled to drive no faster than that, yet our continental cousins - driving the same vehicles - are deemed to be acceptably safe at speeds of up to 130kph (France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, etc) or 120kph (Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, etc). Perhaps its something in the water? :dk: :rolleyes:

Perhaps the same thing in the water that sees our towns and cities crowded with hundreds of marauding drunks every weekend ? Comparisons with our "continental cousins" aren't always particularly useful when looking at our own circumstances.

2.In the real world the "smooth flow" of traffic is disturbed to a greater degree (resulting in more sudden braking situations etc) due to the greater differential in speed in between all vehicles using the road (ie some people inc lorries will still travel at 50-60mph regardless of the new speed limit)
A few weeks ago I spent two weeks working in Richmond, VA and commuted twixt my hotel and place of work on the I64 and I95 which have the same speed limit for trucks as they do cars.

Putting to one side the "but what if a 40-tonne truck crashes at that speed" argument for a moment, it was a revelation just how much better the (very heavy at commute time) traffic flows when pretty much everything is travelling at 75mph rather than cars at 75mph and trucks at 55mph. The combination of no differential speed limits and being able to legally overtake on the right means many less lane change manouvres, much less braking and acceleration, and overall makes a massive difference to the flow of traffic and hence capacity of the road.

Maybe it's time to challenge the "it couldn't possibly be done here, there'd be carnage" school of thought :dk:

I remember driving in France a few years ago on a two lane motorway to Calais and HGV's couldn't overtake unless they were doing less than 45mph. The road was free flowing and I'd like to see put into practice especially on the A1(M) in the North

Driving on a four lane section of the M40 yesterday, the de facto speed limit was 60 because for one car in the inner lane at 55, there were two in the next lane at 57 then three in the next lane at 58. The remaining 100 in the outer lane were behind someone overtaking at 60.

If people can't be bothered to use a really wide section of motorway with a speed limit of 70, can't see it making a jot of difference to raise the limit, except on normally empty roads where people already do it.

Either lane discipline should be rigorously enforced instead of raising the speed limit or overtaking on both sides should be allowed. Each of these would reduce congestion, road rage & travel times IMO.:)

Doesnt matter what the speed limit is raised to-people still dont know how to drive on a motorway!:wallbash:

Sunday drivers. Try driving on the M40 at weekday commute times and you'll feel as though you've stopped if you travel at an indicated 70mph. Totally valid point about (lack of) lane discipline though.

Totally agree on the M40 observation, as I go from the M42 to J12 and back each day. Apparent speed limit is "whatever you want" with very little police presence, and because most of the drivers at commute time are experienced and just wanting to get to work with the minimum fuss, it works well.

A few weeks ago I spent two weeks working in Richmond, VA and commuted twixt my hotel and place of work on the I64 and I95 which have the same speed limit for trucks as they do cars.

Putting to one side the "but what if a 40-tonne truck crashes at that speed" argument for a moment, it was a revelation just how much better the (very heavy at commute time) traffic flows when pretty much everything is travelling at 75mph rather than cars at 75mph and trucks at 55mph. The combination of no differential speed limits and being able to legally overtake on the right means many less lane change manouvres, much less braking and acceleration, and overall makes a massive difference to the flow of traffic and hence capacity of the road.

Maybe it's time to challenge the "it couldn't possibly be done here, there'd be carnage" school of thought :dk:[/QUOTE

Yep I agree, all traffic traveling at same speed would increase throughput of any road and reduce the number of accidents. Many accidents are caused on motorways by vehicles traveling at different speeds which causes traffic to continually accelerate and brake. Also the possibilty of one sleepy driver ploughing into the back of another is vastly reduced or even eliminated.

However many lorries would be unsafe traveling at 80mph due primarily to the law of physics, they would have to be wider, lower and have more braked axles. They would also need an increased engine size in many cases, again not a 'green' thing to do in this day and age

The only other real option to reduce accidents is to reduce the speed differential ie slowing the fastest moving traffic down as opposed to increasing the speed of the slowest. This also has the benefit of meeting many other objectives such as reduced co2 emissions etc as I mentioned in a previous post.

Unpopular I know, however it would not slow the throughput of an busy motorway (as cars could travel closer together), so essentially the government would not have to build any more roads. It would only take you longer to get anywhere on roads that you can currently travel at the max speed on, ie motorways at night/ early morning.

I think one way of improving safety and throughput on a motorway is to encourage hgvs and any other vehicle forced to travel at a lower speed off the motorway in normal working hours. Easiest way to do this is to cut the VED on artics for example in half. Ie instead of charging nearly £2k for a tax disc charge say £800 in return for nighttime use only. This would not work for every lorry, but some such as those going to distribution hubs that work 24hrs a day may well benefit. It would also be very easy to remotely Police to through retrospective analysis of "tacos" that is currently done as spot checks to see if any driver has driven longer than their allotted hours. Impose a very heavy fine if a cut rate VED lorry has been found to be working in normal hours through this technique. This then would be more or less self policing, like driving more than your allotted hours now is

Every lorry off a motorway in busy times would create a space for an extra 3-4 cars, this would then lessen the urgency for certain roads to be widened or some new roads built using public money

Last edited:
The figures published here [ evidently a pro raised speed limits site ] perhaps shows the effects of "acceptable" speeds elsewhere? perhaps they are simply prepared to tolerate higher casualty levels.:dk:

ABD - Safest Roads in Europe

I'm aware of the differing accident rates, which is why I used the phrase "acceptably safe" in my post.

I was making the point that motorway traffic in the UK travels at similar speeds to that in many continental European countries, yet because the speed limit is 70mph rather than 80mph, that speed of travel is deemed illegal (primarily, so we are told, because it's unsafe) in the UK yet is deemed both legal and acceptably safe in other countries. The UK enjoys a lower motorway death rate than those countries even though vehicle speeds are similar.

Spot the inconsistency?

Sorry guys I need to ask, when was the 70mph limit set...i.e. what year?

The 70 mph National Speed Limit was introduced as a temporary measure in December 1965. It is often blamed on Barbara Castle, but at the time the Minister of Transport was Tom Fraser.

The reason given was a spate of serious accidents in foggy conditions, but it is often claimed that the MoT had been alarmed by AC Cars testing their latest Cobra on the M1 at speeds up to 180 mph.

It was confirmed as a permanent limit in 1967, by which time Barbara Castle (a non-driver) had become Minister of Transport.

There was surprisingly little debate at the time: the fact that the average family car of the time could only just exceed 70 mph perhaps had something to do with this.

A 1984 Ford Fiesta XR2 max speed is 101MPH...safely. I think we should have toll roads which are similar to German Autobahns...or am I wrong?

The only time I did some design work on central reservation barriers the test was a 1500kg car travelling at 70mph hitting at 20 degrees (IIRC). The pass criteria was to limit the car's intrusion to the other side by 0.5m.

Would the standard have to be revised to 80mph and all non conforming barriers replaced?

I'd rather build a new school or hospital thanks.

Would the standard have to be revised to 80mph and all non conforming barriers replaced?

I'd rather build a new school or hospital thanks.
It's already happening, and has been happening since 2005 when the Highways Agency plumped for the use of rigid concrete safety barriers for motorway central reserves where annual average daily traffic (AADT) exceeds 25,000 vehicles a day. Whenever existing steel barriers meet the end of their 20-year life, concrete barrier replacements are being phased in. They're also installed as part of road improvement schemes such as motorway widening.

So lets see now , I got off the Ferry in Dover. Heading for Merseyside , did avoid the rip off called the Toll road on the M6. Oh yes I did manage to get up to the National speed limit when I eventually got on the M53. The M25 is a car park as is the M1 & M6, so where exactly are we going to achieve the 80mph new national speed limit if it were to come into being.
Lew

so where exactly are we going to achieve the 80mph new national speed limit if it were to come into being.
Lew

Buy a house with a longer drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom