80 on motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trebor55

Car
MGEV
Seen a few comments on here around will I get fined for 80mph on motorway. Answer yes I had a ticket for doing 80mph on motorway camera van positioned on bridge caught me. The joys of driving nowadays they are everywhere

Tough luck, we have all been there.

The guideline is a fixed penalty (or speed awareness course) from 79 mph, so unfortunately you should expect a ticket if caught on camera at 80. Of course your indicated speed would almost certainly have been higher - I was cruising at dead on 70 on the speedo last week and the GPS speed shown on the TomTom was 66. So 80 on the speedo *should* be ok.

There's still some doubt about what the fixed gantry cameras on motorways trigger at though when the 70 limit is in force. I suspect it's higher than 79, but who knows :dk:

Seen a few comments on here around will I get fined for 80mph on motorway. Answer yes I had a ticket for doing 80mph on motorway camera van positioned on bridge caught me. The joys of driving nowadays they are everywhere
Stick your cruise control on a sat nav indicated 70mph , sit back and relax. Or is an MGEV not relaxing at motorway speeds?

The guideline is a fixed penalty (or speed awareness course) from 79 mph, so unfortunately you should expect a ticket if caught on camera at 80...

From confused.com:

'Most police forces have a tolerance of 10% plus 2 mph above the limit before a speed camera 'flashes'. So on a 30 mph road, a camera wouldn't normally activate unless a car drove past at 35 mph or above. On a 70 mph stretch of motorway, this threshold would go up to 79 mph.'

From confused.com:

'Most police forces have a tolerance of 10% plus 2 mph above the limit before a speed camera 'flashes'. So on a 30 mph road, a camera wouldn't normally activate unless a car drove past at 35 mph or above. On a 70 mph stretch of motorway, this threshold would go up to 79 mph.'
I was caught at 67 in a 60 on a gantry camera ( I didn’t realise it was reduced from 70). To this day I swear there were no speed reduction signs, I was actually quite miffed.

Before they changed to average speed cameras, there were quite a few Gatso cameras on the Dundee to Aberdeen road. I had a Road Angel GPS installed & set the cruise to GPS 76mph which was about 80mph on the speedo & used to go through the cameras without any problems. Started about 73mph then a few weeks later increased by 1mph increments until I had it set to 76mph. Stopped at that speed as I reckoned my luck would soon run out if I tried it much higher. Average speed cameras I'm more wary of & run about 72mph.

I was caught doing 73mph on the M62 smart motorway near Leeds and had to do the awareness course ,so be careful no such thing as 10% anymore, it's quite a good course tbh

I was caught doing 73mph on the M62 smart motorway near Leeds and had to do the awareness course ,so be careful no such thing as 10% anymore, it's quite a good course tbh

What were you caught by? Officers have always had the option to ticket you for even 1 mph over the limit, but a fixed camera set to 73 would surely go into meltdown on most motorways!

I was cought by the smart motorway camera not a police officer got the letter through the door 4 days later

I was cought by the smart motorway camera not a police officer got the letter through the door 4 days later
No way that’s ridiculous! Sorry to hear

We were passed by three cars racing each other doing well over 100mph on that section last Sunday... The road was busy too. Just crazy.

We were passed by three cars racing each other doing well over 100mph on that section last Sunday... The road was busy too. Just crazy.
Hopefully they also received letters in the post.

I've yet to see any evidence......that's evidence....of anyone ever having received a ticket or course for exceeding a limit by 3mph, and that includes 30 limits. I've offered to pay tickets for people making such claims, I've never been taken up on my kind offer! So-called Community Speedwatch letters don't count.

Pete

Tough luck,the speed signs are sometimes put in the wrong places,yesterday I drove up the A12 and at the Borham exit there was a 50mph sign at the start of the slip,I thought given the A12 is 70mph ,there must be a problem up the slip, about 2 miles along the A12 there was the sign saying 70mph so that 50mph sign was not for the slip but the A12 and I suppose I could have been caught speeding,a pet hate is all the left over signage months after the reason for it to be there has ended,

a pet hate is all the left over signage months after the reason for it to be there has ended,
Ditto!
I think contractors should be fined for not removing obsolete signage in a timely fashion..

Do by any chance still have the NIP that you could post up? With personal detail blanked out, obviously.

Hopefully they also received letters in the post.
To be honest, I hope their cars (C63, M3 and Golf R) were confiscated and put in the crusher, though of course that won’t happen.

On an empty motorway, I don’t care what they do. But when the road is busy with lanes 1-3 full but moving well and they only have one lane to squeeze down, fully reckless driving behaviour.

Puts the police in an awkward position, I'm sure these excess limits are not universal. Let's face it, if you did it, you did it ==== yeah, me too ! nobody likes paying out but what are the road safety folk supposed to do ? :wallbash:

I've yet to see any evidence......that's evidence....of anyone ever having received a ticket or course for exceeding a limit by 3mph, and that includes 30 limits. I've offered to pay tickets for people making such claims, I've never been taken up on my kind offer! So-called Community Speedwatch letters don't count.

Pete
My ex wife was fined in Brighton for going through one of the fixed cameras on the front at 31mph. I saw the nip myself.

Community speedwatch letters are triggered at 37 in a 30 and 48 in a 40. They have little effect unless you get three of them. You can then expect a visit and a chat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom