80 on motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do by any chance still have the NIP that you could post up? With personal detail blanked out, obviously.
No sorry it was last year ,I took the course in Mansfield and you would be surprised by the type of people who attended No boy racers mainly salesman and most were cought on the M1 near Meadow hall
It is a different course to the speed awareness course
What i did learn is that if you drive through 2 average speed camera's you will be fine it has to be at least 3 all connected together

To be honest, I hope their cars (C63, M3 and Golf R) were confiscated and put in the crusher, though of course that won’t happen.

On an empty motorway, I don’t care what they do. But when the road is busy with lanes 1-3 full but moving well and they only have one lane to squeeze down, fully reckless driving behaviour.
They would definitely get the letter but by time the courts find time to look at it it would be thrown out as its took over 6 months, 100mph and over is NOT an instant ban🙄

My ex wife was fined in Brighton for going through one of the fixed cameras on the front at 31mph. I saw the nip myself.

Community speedwatch letters are triggered at 37 in a 30 and 48 in a 40. They have little effect unless you get three of them. You can then expect a visit and a chat!
Commumity Speedwatch 'rules' vary hugely from area to area. If 'they' come for a chat, don't open the door!

Re 31 in a 30, and I'm being careful how I phrase this, in the 30 years since automated enforcement was introduced, I've never, ever seen proper proof of such a thing happening. I've seen hundreds of mentions of it on the many and varied forums I've been a member of, but nobody has ever uploaded proof.

Pete

Just remember the smart motorway isn't just 1 camera its an average over all the camera's which are linked and a computer set's the speed not a person in a office which I thought 😄

Commumity Speedwatch 'rules' vary hugely from area to area. If 'they' come for a chat, don't open the door!

Re 31 in a 30, and I'm being careful how I phrase this, in the 30 years since automated enforcement was introduced, I've never, ever seen proper proof of such a thing happening. I've seen hundreds of mentions of it on the many and varied forums I've been a member of, but nobody has ever uploaded proof.

Pete
Just because no-one has shown you proof, does not mean it has never happened. I can assure you that I saw the nip. Given Brighton’s attitude to cars its no surprise whatsoever they enforced it.

As for over 100mph,; in a 70 mph limit it is the trigger point for a discretionary ban for that one offence. Its basically six points or a ban, plus a band C fine. Its up to the court whether or not to impose the ban. Generally speaking 105 or more and its a ban. The ban will likely be one month. But, if you have six points already and they impose six for the offence then you’ll become a totter and thats a minimum six month ban. So, if you are caught at 101 or more then expect six points or a ban plus fine. A band C fine is 1.5 x your weekly income. Assumed to be £440pw if you dont declare it or £120pw if on benefits. Youll know if the court are considering a ban because they will write to you after you return the nip. The letter will state the court is considering a ban. At this point you should elect to go to court to plead mitigation/exceptional hardship.

As for speed driver awareness courses, there are four different ones. You can sit one of each in a three year period if you have to.

I never knew there was four awareness courses,I attended one years ago,the tea and biscuits were first class,run by a driving instructor and a ex cop,as in a earlier post there were all types at it the young thankful that their insurance would not go up the aged who wanted still to be able to say they had driven 40 years and still had a clean license,and a mixture of people who drove for a living and me who only attended because nobody I knew had ever been on the course and I wondered what would go on,I found that answer out as being fairly boring,would I go on another if I got the chance no.

I've yet to see any evidence......that's evidence....of anyone ever having received a ticket or course for exceeding a limit by 3mph, and that includes 30 limits. I've offered to pay tickets for people making such claims, I've never been taken up on my kind offer! So-called Community Speedwatch letters don't count.

Pete
I had to attend a speed awareness course approx 10-12 years ago for doing 32 in a 30 zone in Hull.
I was at a set of traffic lights that went from 2 lanes down to 1 after the lights. Myself and the other car next to me pulled away sensibly and in order to get into single file I happened to hit 32MPH. The camera van was parked on the other side of the road waiting to pounce.

It's changed a bit since I got my last 'biggy' for doing 98 on the M25 back in 1998 (£200 fine plus £30 costs & 5 points) ...I understand the fines are wage related now (which I support as it's fairer), so a premiership footballer can get fined tens of thousands for a speeding offence?

Just because no-one has shown you proof, does not mean it has never happened. I can assure you that I saw the nip. Given Brighton’s attitude to cars its no surprise whatsoever they enforced it.
Obviously, it's not just me that hasn't seen proof. It surprises me that, despite the huge interest there would be in someone being done for 1mph over a limit, nobody ever thought to save proof for everyone to see. The press would have a field day with it. The motoring press would make even more of it. Pepipoo should be awash with reports of it - it's not though. Nobody's ever pleaded 'not guilty' to 31 in a 30 either....and they would, surely? I've trawled legal forums, court reports et al, I can say quite categorically that no-one in Derbyshire, South Yorks or Notts has ever had a ticket for 31 in a 30.....and yet many people claim to have been so-done in each of those areas.

Go figure.

Pete

I've just found this ref the 100mph I saved it as no one believed he wasn't banned
20180927-201330.jpg
[/url]

We don't get offered a speed awareness course in Scotland

Obviously, it's not just me that hasn't seen proof. It surprises me that, despite the huge interest there would be in someone being done for 1mph over a limit, nobody ever thought to save proof for everyone to see. The press would have a field day with it. The motoring press would make even more of it. Pepipoo should be awash with reports of it - it's not though. Nobody's ever pleaded 'not guilty' to 31 in a 30 either....and they would, surely? I've trawled legal forums, court reports et al, I can say quite categorically that no-one in Derbyshire, South Yorks or Notts has ever had a ticket for 31 in a 30.....and yet many people claim to have been so-done in each of those areas.

Go figure.

Pete
Thats a very sweeping claim to make. I repeat, just because no-one has reported to you or on any forum doesnt mean it hasnt happened. Not everyone wishes to shout about it or publicise it.
My wife was caught at 31. Neither she nor I felt any need to publicise it.

I can assure you from first hand experience that there are many many ‘incidents’ some involving public figures that are eyebrow raising that never see any publication whatsoever.

No sorry it was last year ,I took the course in Mansfield and you would be surprised by the type of people who attended No boy racers mainly salesman and most were cought on the M1 near Meadow hall
It is a different course to the speed awareness course
What i did learn is that if you drive through 2 average speed camera's you will be fine it has to be at least 3 all connected together

So, for clarity, you got busted for 73 in an average speed set-up when the limit was set at 70?

Thats a very sweeping claim to make. I repeat, just because no-one has reported to you or on any forum doesnt mean it hasnt happened. Not everyone wishes to shout about it or publicise it.
My wife was caught at 31. Neither she nor I felt any need to publicise it.

It's just a bit odd that people often say this sort of thing but no-one has ever produced the NIP. Now and again people will come back and say "oh sorry, it was 31 in 20," or "I was definitely only doing 31 but the NIP said 35".

It would be more understandable if the local police wanted to stuff speed awareness courses to keep their recently retired mates in donuts, but under the standard guidance, 31 in a 30 doesn't qualify for a course or fixed penalty so it would have to be prosecution!

Last edited:
To be fair, I would tend to believe what Alfie says.

I tend to take everything I read on forums at face value. Doesn't matter to me whether it it's right or not. And rarely will anyone ever admit they were wrong on the internet so any argument is unwinnable.

It's just a bit odd that, as another poster also mentioned, no-one has ever been able to show one of these 31/32 etc in a 30 NIPs. You'd think recipients would be pretty miffed about it and would publicise them widely. After all, not many people seem too miffed about 'normal' speeding offences.

So, for clarity, you got busted for 73 in an average speed set-up when the limit was set at 70?
Yes that was my average speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom