80 on motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just done an Internet search in an attempt to find some evidence of reports I remember of people getting done when caught at 31 mph in a 30 mph stretch of the A325 in Farnborough. It was a big thing at the time (around 15 to 20 years ago) because it was on a stretch of dual carriageway where the limit had just been reduced from 40 after which a mobile camera van seemed to take up almost permanent residence. What I found amusing was that despite such a fuss being made in the local press, still people were regularly complaining about getting caught - with many saying they were only doing 31/32! But I couldn't find any evidence by way of NIP (or whatever it may have been at the time).

What I did come across was a piece from one of the local rags about that stretch of road that makes interesting reading:
ALDERSHOT MP Gerald Howarth has accused Hampshire police of “hyping up” accidents to justify targeting drivers with a speed camera on the A325 at Farnborough.
He made the claim after being given details of the number of accidents which have occurred on the dual carriageway, between the Clockhouse Roundabout and the former Queen’s Hotel, during the past three years.
The figures released by the Hampshire Safety Camera Partnership reveal there were only seven serious accidents during that period, none involving fatalities.
In one case speed was not a factor, and in four cases it was possibly a factor. There were just two accidents definitely caused by speeding drivers.
Mr Howarth said the statistics showed that the stretch of road was “hardly an accident blackspot”, although it was a rich source of fines levied on motorists.
His findings follow growing protests from drivers who have been “clocked” by a police camera and fined for often travelling at just over the 30mph speed limit on the dual carriageway.
“The police have been trying to justify their intensive campaign on the grounds that the road is unduly dangerous,” he said.
But the statistics have blown a hole in this argument. “Hampshire traffic police have been disappointingly misleading in the way they have hyped up accidents on the Farnborough Road,” said Mr Howarth.
“I am all for dangerous drivers being penalised, and I am not opposed to cameras in principle, but persecuting ordinary motorists is not the answer.”
He also crossed swords with Hampshire police chief Paul Kernaghan who told him in a letter that the speed “traps” were operated by officers using “highly conspicuous police vehicles.”
Mr Howarth said that, on the contrary, the camera van used to trap motorists on the A325 was usually parked almost out of sight.
It is often parked on the Farnborough Road, facing north by the Pinehurst roundabout, he continued, where drivers could not see it until rounding the corner where they were immediately targeted.
He added evidence nationally indicated that speed cameras do not save lives. In Hampshire, he said, the number of cameras has increased from 23 in 2001 to 51 in the first 11 months of last year.
“Yet the number of people killed in fatal car crashes jumped from 69 to 104,” said Mr Howarth.
He added: “It is time the police recognised that their policy is not producing safer roads and, worse still, is alienating the public.”
What I don't know is whether or not anything came of Mr Howarth's accusations. When I lived in the area he was extremely efficient when I called on his help with a completely unrelated matter, so I know that he wasn't one to just let things slip.

No doubt more by luck than judgement, I've never been charged with speeding in the UK. (I was rightly caught once in Australia when I was concentrating more on getting my takeaway home whilst still hot instead of watching my speed. The other occasion was in Florida when the car hire company took a sizeable chunk of money from my credit card a few months after I was there. It was to pay for a speeding fine and extra for late payment. Fortunately I was eventually able to prove that I was over 200 miles away at the time of the offence and got the Miami police to admit they'd made a mistake!) I've always held the belief that if you get caught and done for speeding you only have yourself to blame. I've never had points on my licence and I only had a camera detector for about 5 of my 57 years of driving. When I've read complaints about cameras being no more than revenue generators I've disagreed. I'm beginning to think that there's some truth in this now.

I tend to take everything I read on forums at face value. Doesn't matter to me whether it it's right or not. And rarely will anyone ever admit they were wrong on the internet so any argument is unwinnable.

It's just a bit odd that, as another poster also mentioned, no-one has ever been able to show one of these 31/32 etc in a 30 NIPs. You'd think recipients would be pretty miffed about it and would publicise them widely. After all, not many people seem too miffed about 'normal' speeding offences.
The reason that I personally never publicised it widely or kicked up a fuss about being caught doing 32mph in a 30mph zone is because it would be a complete waste of my time. I was perfectly aware at the time that the speed limit in a city centre was 30mph, not 30ish mph but 30mph. Being unaware of my actual speed is not, and never has been, a defence. Moaning about it would have only brought out the "The speed limit is the speed limit" brigade, something I was already quite aware of.

I was told 10% plus two mph by the officer at my speed awareness course! So mostly I sit at 75 on disrtonic when motorway conditions allow. Saves moving in and out of the fast lane too much .

I was told 10% plus two mph by the officer at my speed awareness course! So mostly I sit at 75 on disrtonic when motorway conditions allow. Saves moving in and out of the fast lane too much .
:eek: All lanes on motorways are fast lanes! All but the left hand lane are for overtaking.

Thats a very sweeping claim to make. I repeat, just because no-one has reported to you or on any forum doesnt mean it hasnt happened. Not everyone wishes to shout about it or publicise it.
My wife was caught at 31. Neither she nor I felt any need to publicise it.

I can assure you from first hand experience that there are many many ‘incidents’ some involving public figures that are eyebrow raising that never see any publication whatsoever.
There may well have been many, many incidents. Odd how there's not been any evidence of a single one though. There have been multitudes of vociferous motorists posting their NOIPs all over the Web in attempts to 'get off' the ticket.....ones issued at more 'usual' speeds.......but not one
evidencing 31 in a 30. Not one. Nada. Zilch.

Pete
Pete

There may well have been many, many incidents. Odd how there's not been any evidence of a single one though. There have been multitudes of vociferous motorists posting their NOIPs all over the Web in attempts to 'get off' the ticket.....ones issued at more 'usual' speeds.......but not one
evidencing 31 in a 30. Not one. Nada. Zilch.

Pete
Pete
Have you considered the possibility that the evidence of the many many incidents may not be allowed to be published?

I have personally seen evidence that would alarm and shock but am not allowed, nor would I even consider, publishing it.

Have you considered the possibility that the evidence of the many many incidents may not be allowed to be published?

I have personally seen evidence that would alarm and shock but am not allowed, nor would I even consider, publishing it.
All the evidence would consist of would be a suitably redacted scan of an NOIP or similar - what would stop such being published?

Pete

I got a speed awareness course for 79 in a 70 on the A3. So I think 80 would be similar. As already said the SAC is a pretty interesting way to spend four hours and it did definitely slow me down long term. I now stick to 70 on the motorways whereas I would always drive at 80 ish before I got caught.

Got caught @ 82 on the A34 in Jan / Feb. Really stupid of me as rarely put my foot down to that extent, but I'd got frustrated by the plonker in front of me that was doing a yo-yo as we joined onto the A34 so wanted to get passed. Oh well, 2nd time in 30+ years (the other was in 1992, really stupid, 48 in a 30. Points & fine).
Was given a course, over Zoom. There were 9 people, 2 men and 7 women. I was surprised by how interesting it was.
Anyway, one of the documents that came with the course offer was the document I've attached, which details the thresholds for a course to be offered, this certainly suggests the whole 10% +2mph. Obviously, it's going to be different per force.

Attachments

• Thresholds2.jpg
    Thresholds2.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 14
We use the M4 M5 to go down to North Devon regularly and I often sit at about 75/80 mph and yet there are still cars pouring past at well over that, the speed cameras must be flashing like a disco.
Thing is, nothing is consistent in this country. Every one has their own interpretation of the rules etc.
Ive seen cars going past police cars on the motorway at over 70 and the police just arent bothered but as said above woe betide if you come across a speed camera.
Just keep your eyes peeled if you flirt with the speed limit or just keep to 70mph and hold everyone up, especially if you sit in the middle lane. Oh don’t start me!!

Got caught @ 82 on the A34 in Jan / Feb. Really stupid of me as rarely put my foot down to that extent, but I'd got frustrated by the plonker in front of me that was doing a yo-yo as we joined onto the A34 so wanted to get passed. Oh well, 2nd time in 30+ years (the other was in 1992, really stupid, 48 in a 30. Points & fine).
Seems to be the way, to get caught out on a one-off. The only time I've been caught was when I was slowing down for a 30 limit on my usual route (a downhill section) when another car coming the other way flashed me. I got distracted wondering who they were and why they were flashing me and next thing I knew there was a mobile speed trap in front of me. Annoying as I was genuinely slowing down because a) I'm good like that and b) its a common place to put a speed van.
Had to do a course, which was surprisingly interesting.

Seems to be the way, to get caught out on a one-off. The only time I've been caught was when I was slowing down for a 30 limit on my usual route (a downhill section) when another car coming the other way flashed me. I got distracted wondering who they were and why they were flashing me and next thing I knew there was a mobile speed trap in front of me. Annoying as I was genuinely slowing down because a) I'm good like that and b) its a common place to put a speed van.
Had to do a course, which was surprisingly interesting.
Those times when slowing down for a reduced limit are the sort of situations when I fear I may get the first points on my licence (or speed course). For most of my 58 years of driving I‘ve just had to take my foot off the throttle when I’ve seen the speed limit sign in order to be near enough within the speed by the time I reach it. But modern cars (and tyres) have a much lower rolling resistance so the car doesn’t slow down anywhere near as much. I’m a tight old git and I don’t like the thought of applying the brakes to waste some of the petrol I’ve used. It’s easy enough on long straight roads where the sign can be spotted well in advance, but the sneaky b’stards have a tendency to place them just around a bend, where cameras can also be well hidden!

But modern cars (and tyres) have a much lower rolling resistance so the car doesn’t slow down anywhere near as much.

I think the 9 speed gearbox plays a part in this. Our 7 speed S203 definitely slowed down quicker when you lifted off the accelerator in top gear than our S205 does.

Seen a few comments on here around will I get fined for 80mph on motorway. Answer yes I had a ticket for doing 80mph on motorway camera van positioned on bridge caught me. The joys of driving nowadays they are everywhere
I was zapped by a Gatso camera in Cardiff a few months ago. It was placed on a downhill ramp joining an urban dual carriageway. 36 mph and a speed awareness course. Since then I have bought a speedcam detector device which warns of mobile speedcams as well as the fixed type. I just cannot believe the frequency of its warnings of mobile traps. It has certainly slowed me down when approaching built up areas and makes me check almost every motorway bridge!!

Those times when slowing down for a reduced limit are the sort of situations when I fear I may get the first points on my licence (or speed course). For most of my 58 years of driving I‘ve just had to take my foot off the throttle when I’ve seen the speed limit sign in order to be near enough within the speed by the time I reach it. But modern cars (and tyres) have a much lower rolling resistance so the car doesn’t slow down anywhere near as much. I’m a tight old git and I don’t like the thought of applying the brakes to waste some of the petrol I’ve used. It’s easy enough on long straight roads where the sign can be spotted well in advance, but the sneaky b’stards have a tendency to place them just around a bend, where cameras can also be well hidden!
Got done in Australia once. They supplied the photo of the car as evidence. You could see the leaves around the lens where it had been hidden in a bush! As I recall there is no leniency in Australia - if you are over the limit that's it.
I too try to not use the brakes and plan my deceleration to hit the limit at the sign where possible. If you use the brakes then you are wasting energy, but to be fair the whole concept of an ICE vehicle is just wasted energy!

Got done in Australia once. They supplied the photo of the car as evidence. You could see the leaves around the lens where it had been hidden in a bush! As I recall there is no leniency in Australia - if you are over the limit that's it.
I too try to not use the brakes and plan my deceleration to hit the limit at the sign where possible. If you use the brakes then you are wasting energy, but to be fair the whole concept of an ICE vehicle is just wasted energy!
You're right about the lack of leniency on speeding (and drinking) in Australia. Nobody seems brave enough to go within 5kph of the limit anywhere near their cities. It's definitely dawdleville!

Also due to the billions of traffic lights in the cities. We used to have a map with traffic lights marked so you could plan a route that used the minimum traffic lights possible. Potentially saved a great deal of time in Perth.

I was told on a speed awareness course some 2yrs ago that no allowance over the limit is in force (33mph in a 30 was my crime)

Expect a fine and 3 points if you continue your 5% over speed.

I guess the cars we all see exceeding national speed limits are cloned/stolen, driven by express drug dealers and the likes

I was told on a speed awareness course some 2yrs ago that no allowance over the limit is in force (33mph in a 30 was my crime)

Expect a fine and 3 points if you continue your 5% over speed.

I guess the cars we all see exceeding national speed limits are cloned/stolen, driven by express drug dealers and the likes
I was told the same on the SAC that I attended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom