80mph speed limits, Pah

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I’m driving above the speed limit I concentrate far more on my driving. I’m more aware of hazards such as other drivers who may not be expecting me to approach at such high speed,

A task in itself...

and I’m also on the lookout for cameras and jam sandwiches. There’s the possibility that my concentration levels would reduce when driving “legally”.

that you also have to do that says either you shouldn't be breaking the law, or the law should be changed.

That's one reason I slowed up. Sick to death of scouring the scenery for law enforcement rather than concentrating on the road ahead of me for the real hazards.

When I’m driving above the speed limit I concentrate far more on my driving. I’m more aware of hazards such as other drivers who may not be expecting me to approach at such high speed, and I’m also on the lookout for cameras and jam sandwiches. There’s the possibility that my concentration levels would reduce when driving “legally”.

I'm reminded of two assertions.

One is the historical one whereby some drivers claimed they actually drove better when they had knocked back a few.

The other is the persistent one where most drivers consider their driving ability to be 'above average'.

Paramedic vs Doctor is not really the same relationship as HATO vs Trafpol... HATO's are someone with a fluro jacket and a brush. They have no power to do anything. They have no effect on driving standards whatsoever...

I understand that, but they work for the Highways Agency and they are not law enforcement, so they do not need to have any arresting powers etc.

They are meant to increase road safety by addressing safety concerns quickly (safe removal of obstacles, assisting stranded motorists, etc) and dealing with traffic accidents and incidents.

They do have the powers they need to do their job - e.g. stop traffic and close off sections of the motorway - and in that sense it's a good thing.

I think the argument regarding HATOs and PCSOs was that the police will use them as an excuse to remove their own presence from areas where HATOs and PCSOs operate... it's a a fair comment but it does not mean that the concept is wrong - just that - like most things in life - it is about getting the balance right.

I'm reminded of two assertions.

One is the historical one whereby some drivers claimed they actually drove better when they had knocked back a few.

The other is the persistent one where most drivers consider their driving ability to be 'above average'.
It's a worry when anyone compares the need for greater concentration and awareness at higher speed with the misconception that one's own driving skills improve with alcohol consumption.

With "average" driving skills being as limited as they are, I'd be upset if I wasn't better than that. Only those with inferior skills and/or lack of interest in roadcraft berate the more competent drivers. I would suggest that most of the contributors to this forum ARE above average, because we are more interested in motoring matters than the average Jo who only uses a car to get from A to B. A lack of interest generally (but not exclusively) correlates with a less thorough knowledge and a reduced desire to learn higher levels of skill.

that you also have to do that says either you shouldn't be breaking the law, or the law should be changed.

That's one reason I slowed up. Sick to death of scouring the scenery for law enforcement rather than concentrating on the road ahead of me for the real hazards.
If I gave the impression that I'm always driving above the speed limit then I apologise. Indeed that couldn't be further from the truth; I generally drive as close to the speed limit as conditions dictate is safe to do so. However when driving becomes too easy I can find that it may become boring - which is dangerous because there is a likelihood that my concentration may wane. So on longer journeys I like to, on occasion, drive a little faster than the law permits to keep myself on the ball. Unlike the Stig I can't claim to be able to drive at the max (skills as opposed to speed) whilst listening to The Archers, so I prevent my mind from wandering by focussing on one thing - driving. It's my perception that the vast majority of drivers don't give 100% to their immediate task when relaxed, but instead allow themselves to be distracted by passengers, music, radio, telephones, thoughts of work, or whatever else splits their concentration. Although I can switch off from any such distraction when the need arises, I prefer to be proactive and concentrate more so that the need for sudden reactions are greatly limited. I applaud those few of you who can consistently maintain high levels of concentration on the road without the adrenaline provided by the naughtiness of just breaking a speed limit or taking a corner a little faster than recommended. Presumably you don't blink either, because so much can be missed in that fraction of a second!

Post#207. My preference also. But errant cars crossing my path and being pulled over by plod kinda stifles the flow a bit! Go with the flow, go with the slow - is nearer to how I do it these days. All the time I have ever saved speeding ended up spent in court rooms! Quieter B-roads offer a bit more latitude - if not quite the same type of speed available to M-way users.

It's a worry when anyone compares the need for greater concentration and awareness at higher speed with the misconception that one's own driving skills improve with alcohol consumption.

It's a worry when somebody's argument basically boils down to 'I drive better when I drive faster'.

With "average" driving skills being as limited as they are, I'd be upset if I wasn't better than that. Only those with inferior skills and/or lack of interest in roadcraft berate the more competent drivers. I would suggest that most of the contributors to this forum ARE above average, because we are more interested in motoring matters than the average Jo who only uses a car to get from A to B. A lack of interest generally (but not exclusively) correlates with a less thorough knowledge and a reduced desire to learn higher levels of skill.

ROFL - you knock me out with that!

Sadly I suspect that most drivers who answer the question that they are above average will have some sort of justification just as valid as this.

Sadly you also theorised that the forum is better than average. Sadly I'm on the forum. I know some of my limitations and that average isn't looking good while I'm around.

experience / mileage must teach you something,
unfortunately I do 4200 miles per year
so I am probably in the lower half
but knowing that I am almost as rusty as my van
means I take extra care
so maybe I am not

How do you tell?

I think I shall ask the panel..

Until quite recently I used to drive at what seemed like a natural pace. That meant a speed at which I would naturally concentrate and not get bored.
Two things have changed which now mean I drive more slowly:
the increased risk of a speeding ticket from cameras
the reduction of many speed limits from what was once my natural pace to an inappropriate speed.

What has happened at the same time is that, whilst never having an accident, I have got closer than I ever did before to having one. My driving has become worse. Why? Because I’m bored and not paying as much attention as I used to. Paying attention was automatic before, now I have to work at it.

I quite often drive in Germany. I am a better driver in Germany on an unrestricted road than I am in the UK at 70. Without consciously trying I am very aware of the traffic situation both ahead of me and behind and the potential risks of the evolving traffic situation.

You only have to spend a few minutes driving in this country to realise that many drivers are not focussing on what they are doing. Why is this? I suspect it’s because the driving environment is so closely controlled, single lanes where there used to be two, reduced speed limits, traffic lights where there were uncontrolled junction etc. that much personal responsibility for driving decisions is removed. No need to take any notice just follow the car in front.

Except for north of Perth where DCW is still being fought for. Legislating from London for all UK motoring has its limitations.

Sorry for just quoting you, but this one really tickled me....

Correct me if I am wrong, but did a Mr Salmond not promise this as part of his election campaign.

It's had some improvements, but not the DCW which the main route to Inverness and the North Highlands deserve. This much discussed upgrade has not happened, have you driven on the A9 recently, south of Inverness, I have, the surface is diabolical.

I do think the A9 ought to have been upgraded, but there are parts of the A1 that are single carriageway and the main road to Norwich is not motorway spec, is it even DCW, its been a long time since I have been to Norfolk?

Point is, a lot of major Uk routes need upgrading?

What do you know/feel about the A82 from Tarbert to Ardlui, its not a suitable trunk route IMHO but a fun rural road...

Quieter B-roads offer a bit more latitude - if not quite the same type of speed available to M-way users.

Quite and indeed I echo this sort of thing....indeed having fun on a well sighted A/B road where there is real driving to be had, is great.

Take the run from Aviemore, to Braemar, via Tomintoul, you can't safely break speed limits all the way, but there are very well sighted err, sections where fun can be had....

But is it not the case where motorways per mile driven are the safest roads, and rural B roads the least safe....

Not 100% on that one, but an increase in motorway speeds may not be a dangerous thing at all.

Don't. I am off to Venice for two days the week after next, and the flight is not the bit I am looking forward to.

I woudn't worry about it, most planes can glide 15to1, so 15ft for every foot of decent, this means your typical plane travelling at 30000ft will be able to land in complete control with all engines out up to 75 miles away.
Travelling to Venice you will probably never be more than 75 miles from some sort of landing strip, so you really don't need to worry about it at all. :thumb:

I woudn't worry about it, most planes can glide 15to1, so 15ft for every foot of decent, this means your typical plane travelling at 30000ft will be able to land in complete control with all engines out up to 75 miles away.
Travelling to Venice you will probably never be more than 75 miles from some sort of landing strip, so you really don't need to worry about it at all. :thumb:

What if it catches fire? I hate flying, the food stinks. The take off is like going down the M74, well the way I drive down the M74, but the landing makes me ill, honestly, puts me off food for like a whole hour....

Regarding motorway speeds.

We need to put more emphasis on distance between cars rather than speed.
I would much rather have someone sat behind me doing 150mph with 3 seconds between us than I would with some ***** sat on my bumper doing 70mph.

I do think that 85mph is a very good speed as well, always feel like you are making decent progress and never feel like you are being held back.

I can sit quite easily at 180kph and it still feels relaxed, 200kph is not so relaxed and once I get up to 210/220kph it feels very different, like you have to really concentrate hard.
That is what 110mph relaxed and by 120 odd starting to feel completely different?

70 just feels too slow, people get twitchy and want to get passed, and then you have the dickheads who think the middle and outside lanes are for sitting in, and that is when the problems start.
80mph with an accepted GPS speed of 85mph would be a good compromise.
We don't have the roads for unrestricted speeds like they do in Germany, in Germany they have certain design principles that allow fast driving, like no gradiation will be more than 20:1, and no corner will be more than a shallow one taking up to 2km to turn 90 degress, this means the visibility is far, far greater on the autobahns than we get on our motorways.

What if it catches fire?

Most planes catch on fire on take off, if you make it past the first 3 minutes you'll be fine. :D

I hate flying, the food stinks. The take off is like going down the M74, well the way I drive down the M74, but the landing makes me ill, honestly, puts me off food for like a whole hour....

Wow! You really must hate it. :p

We don't have the roads for unrestricted speeds like they do in Germany, in Germany they have certain design principles that allow fast driving, like no gradiation will be more than 20:1, and no corner will be more than a shallow one taking up to 2km to turn 90 degress, this means the visibility is far, far greater on the autobahns than we get on our motorways.

Sections of the motorway do, bits of the M1, sections of the M5, M74 do meet 80 and some of those 100mph criteria....

Bits of the M6, don't like the tighter turns going up before Shap summit, doing over a ton round these bends may be fun, but maybe not prudent, 70 is fine for that section and once past shap 80 is easy all the way from J40 to the end of the 6, with bits at a ton probably permissible and safe in quiet, good weather conditions.

I agree about the tail gating, would higher speeds and more visible chevron markings tend to hit the point home, it works well on bits of road that have them

Flying isn't the problem it's crashing that is the problem :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom