80's / early 90's HONDA ACCORD with 51 plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

thismorning i notice a very-old-shape Honda Accord EX with a 51 reg plate....

any idea how this comes about or is it an illegal plate? any way i can find out?

it was this shape of accord:

accord.jpg

:confused:

as far as i know this was the current model in 2001:

ho_accord-r_00_4.jpg

Last edited:
SilverSaloon said:
hi

thismorning i notice a very-old-shape Honda Accord EX with a 51 reg plate....

any idea how this comes about or is it an illegal plate? any way i can find out?

it was this shape of accord:

:confused:

as far as i know this was the current model in 2001:

It is entirely possible to have a 51 plate Honda or any other vehicle for that matter. It all comes down to the date of first registration. It is possible to buy a new vehicle without registering it. You then keep the vehicle for whatever period of time and then register it when you want.

I used to see a 'brand new' E-type at various car events. The vehicle was manufactured in 1974 but never registered. It had just 100 miles on the clock. The owner was going to register it one-day he said but for now it was worth far more as it was.

Alfie said:
I used to see a 'brand new' E-type at various car events. The vehicle was manufactured in 1974 but never registered. It had just 100 miles on the clock. The owner was going to register it one-day he said but for now it was worth far more as it was.

If I had an original E-type I think it would look best with the original black number plates with white (or silver?) letters. I think it would look like a kit car if it had a new style reg plate on it.

I wouldn't say no though for the chance to own an E-type though :)

They have bags of character.

Without seeing a picture of the plate it is possible the owner was merely doing a bit of there own artistic spacing with the numbers!

N1 51 ABC instead of N151 ABC??

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Without seeing a picture of the plate it is possible the owner was merely doing a bit of there own artistic spacing with the numbers!

N1 51 ABC instead of N151 ABC??

Regards,
John

Yeah - I'd go along with that .... I've seen a few 'old' cars with the new style plates - and had to look twice - and it's been where the owner has been 'creative' with the plate.

K

Kinky said:
Yeah - I'd go along with that .... I've seen a few 'old' cars with the new style plates - and had to look twice - and it's been where the owner has been 'creative' with the plate.

K

it was:

SK51 CLY

Silver Honda Accort EX with black trim bumpers and old-fasioned interior :crazy:

That's registered to:

Registration SK51CLY

Vehicle make HONDA
Model ACCORD 4AD II 2.0

RichardM said:
That's registered to:

Registration SK51CLY

Vehicle make HONDA
Model ACCORD 4AD II 2.0

hmm must be geuine plate then.... i wouldnt bother registing a horrible oldfasioned car in 2001 tho, still there is no counting for taste! :confused: :eek:

RichardM said:
That's registered to:

Registration SK51CLY

Vehicle make HONDA
Model ACCORD 4AD II 2.0

:rolleyes: For my next theory........

Back to the drawing board

Regards,
John

SilverSaloon said:
I wouldnt bother registing a horrible oldfasioned car in 2001 tho, still there is no counting for taste! :confused: :eek:

Actually, that particular Accord model was a well-engineered, very capable car. I had the 3-door Aerodeck version (2-litre 12-valve) with variable power steering, and it was terrific, one of the nicest cars I've owned. :)

Dave Lewis said:
Actually, that particular Accord model was a well-engineered, very capable car. I had the 3-door Aerodeck version (2-litre 12-valve) with variable power steering, and it was terrific, one of the nicest cars I've owned. :)

i have nothing against the car (or any old car) - had a '92 toyota corolla a year ago as a 2nd car, but why would you buy a car this old in 2001 when you could buy something like a modern 1997 mondeo for the same money?

glojo said:
:rolleyes: For my next theory........

Back to the drawing board

Regards,
John

Quite possible that it was a car that got registered (very) late.

Personally, I suspect a Motor Industry Test Vehicle.

Body of the vehicle and the internal workings might noy tally - Lotus routinely put brand new Mondeo mechanicals under all sorts of bodies when doing long-life testing. DVLA are much more flexible with the manufacturers than SVA or regular type-approval.

(Looking for a pic of a newly registered Meastro Van with some tasty mechanicals...)

:rolleyes:

Swiss Toni said:
(Looking for a pic of a newly registered Meastro Van with some tasty mechanicals...)
Maestro vans are still in production in China, so you can still buy a brand new one if you really want one :)

Dave Lewis said:

I had one of the Aerodeck versions too, Bright red !, Auto, lovely to drive long distances, I put a set of those 3 spoke wheels on it , that were trendy in the late '90's and its still the only car i've seen with those wheels on that looks good !! I even had a little sticker made to go under the 'Aerodeck' badge on the back, that said 'ARX' in keeping with the 'NSX' and 'CRX' of the day . :rolleyes: what was i thinking ....... it even had pop-up headlights too !! :rock:

I sold it to my uncle at 120k and he ran it round for another 40k before he wrecked it !!

Dave Lewis said:

I had a 1989 aerodeck for quite a while. It got extensivly modified (in the engine(twin cam 16v swap) and suspention department) and has to be one of the best cars that I have owned (It comes in at 3rd place in my fave car's that Ive owned :) )
Honda did a really good job on the design and it was better IMO than some of their current offerings.

Did Honda maybe sell the jigs etc to another country and it is still in production there e.g. the old shape VW Beetle was in production until recently in Mexico? Could be a 2001 model after all......

I had a silver one C reg with same wheels for a couple of years....my first Honda experience..drove superbly, quiet and smooth. Did manage to kill the radiator once....blew the head gasket as a result....cost 150 quid to sort. brings back memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom