80's Rolls Royces and Bentleys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which goes to prove that really expensive cars back then relied on technology that the garage round the corner could fix. Now the implimentation of proprietary electronics has made the servicing of cars effectively a licence to print money for main dealers . Undoubtedly part of the appeal of older models.
Correct.....I sold my CL500 to the guys that serviced it when yet another £1000 part was needed for the ABC...and bought a W126 560SEL(without the flash suspension!), not only has it been much cheaper to run I also get to use it for days at a time without booking it in to get something else fixed! I almost drove the loan C class more than I drove my CL!!

I share the enthusiasm for these but I am not brave enough (yet).

I think if you can get one at a cheap enough price - obviously if a massive bill comes in you can decide to call it a day with your purchase price being your maximum liability...

You'll have to post up how you get on with it! :thumb:

I'm just about to change jobs and move house! while going on holiday! once i'm settled I'm going to see where my circumstances are and try and get a winter bargain, then get it looking flash for summer evenings at the county pub :D

I've always wanted one. But luckily ended up with the W126 instead. Phew :)

I drive a Bentley S3 often for work. It's a very special experience. The 80's cars can be very unreliable and rust heavily though. Parts are bonkers expensive. Prone to water ingress. Brake problems. The mechanical set up in some areas is very odd indeed.

My boss ran Silver Shadows for weddings and he told me not to ever buy one..

But still, maybe one day I'll have one just because :)

The thing I love about the S3 is the awesome torque. Generally doesn't change gear much, it just doesn't need to! Hills are almost non existent, it just floats up them. I imagine this is still probably true of the later cars which have a slightly bigger engine.

I've got a pal who is a mechanic - has one going in for MOT Tuesday then its up for sale - around 8 grand I think.
Car had been in family for years and very well looked after. Think its gold on around a w plate?
If anyone wants more details pm me

I often toyed with the idea myself but voted against.

Knowing my OCD I would be tempted to fix every single bit of it - I hate things that don't work.

Strangely my cousin has been doing this. Buying old jags, bentleys, some mercs and rollers, shipping them to Ukraine, getting them totally restored super cheap and selling them on. Last thing thing he did was a jag, bought for 2k, totally restored for 2k and moved on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom