814 Vario 1998

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madmercedes

Car
4.0L jeep
Hi All
Would some one know what is wrong with my lorry? One of the first 'fly by wire' engines. It has a slight miss that all the fitters insist its fuelstarvation.
Revs fine when ticking over. Under load there is an intermittent loss of power.
Checked the filter, and pre filter, new fitted.
Cant check the injectors but no smoke, tried to fit ones out of an 815 that I knew where good and i couldnt get it going at all. old inj back in and runing.
Sent to Main Stealer birmingham. But no EDC light so comp couldnt pick up the fault.
Put new sender uit in. Computer then seemed to say Brain was u/s. So I got another. Had it running, still got fault.
Had all loom out and checked for rubs. Put new cones in, had tank out and cleaned it. The many fitters I have had to look at it have told me the turbo is fine but when its revved the filter is emptied and doesnt appear to fill up quickly enough, I have to say I dont rate this last opinion.

Does anyone have any ideas at all.
I have runn out of options.

Carol.:mad:

Last opinion may be a long shot but I have seen loose material in tank block outlets before.

Bazzle

Air leak int he fuel lines. when under load the pump draws more fuel so exaccerbates the leak, so the filter empties.
Check the fuel lines for bubbles of air.

Thanks for that both
The fuel line hasnt been checked for bodies. So you think I should put a seperate can of diesel and run a different fuel line through the pump and then a new one on to the filter. Thereby bypassing all the origional pipes?
I have called my fitter and we are going to do that on weds or thurs. So I will keep you informed.
Thinking about it its the most obvious way to go. after that we are well and truely stumped.
Regards
Carol

Just check ALL the fuel line connections for air leaks, I'm sure that's the problem.

Hi Dieselman, and all
No joy with the pipework up to the filter. Gravity fed it and no change.
Could it be pulling air after the filter?
It has a common rail.
C
:confused:

It could be the filter or the pump sucking air. Just a suggestion.

Is there something you can use to see if theres a leak? Like the old washing up liquid and paint brush for gas leaks.
i dont see how there could be but worth an ask to someone who knows more than I do.
C

Use clear tubing on the suction side and look for air leaking in.
Try connecting the pump directly to a can of clean diesel, that way you will bypass the filter-head which can be a source of air leakage.

weird - things I suggest on another forum (self build motor-caravanners club) appear here as well.... (i suggested to carol that she tried here as well)

Yes Guy.
Im asking everyone who might know. Im desperate.
There may be someone here who knows or someone on SBCC may know something. There's no more sites that I know of or Id ask the same questions there. Not everyone reads the same sites.
Im not looking for a quick fix or a cheap one. Im just looking for a fix. If just one person reads this who has had this happen to their 814 and its a regular fault I would be chuffed. This has cost me £1900.00 so far and I still have the fault. So you can see why im asking everyone. The entire build has cost me over £18000.00. I need to get this fixed.
Regards
C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom