84 Mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ddentrec

Car
W123 280TE, W123 200T, W203 C180K
....Seat Arosa 1.7 Sdi. Seriously. Here's how...

1. Use shell Diesel. I've used Tesco (69MPG), Texaco (75MPG) on the same route, same driving style, but Shell for some reason is the best.

2. Don't drive like a plonker. Cruise at 55 behind the all the lorries and caravans who are at the same speed. Ignore the BMW and Audi 2 inches off your rear bumper...you'll overtake them in 10 mins on the inside anyway. After 139,000 miles in the Seat I find it makes little difference to your overall average journey time.

3. Check your tyre pressures.

4. Remove your rear view mirror so you can simply relax enjoy the trip. Use your door mirrors instead.

5. Leave the C180K at home :D .

Blimey! That is amazing.

How confident are you about the different brands of fuels making a difference? Have you compared a supermarket fuel.

Try a 1.4 TDi, they can crack 120mpg on a good day.

Still a worthy result, maybe we should have a challenge to record the highest mpg we can get.

Great mpg

Your right about cruising, just sat there watching the other two lanes constanly brakeing...

I might crack 30mpg in the ML one day... down hill, mirrors in and in N

How confident are you about the different brands of fuels making a difference? Have you compared a supermarket fuel.

I did several tests over the past 7 years I have owned the Arosa (I drive ~ 120 miles a day, every weekday, in it and use the C180K at weekends. SWMBO uses ithe C180K during the week) and certainly the supermarket stuff gives around 8% lower MPG. No idea why...perhaps a different car will give a different result.

Probably psychological as much supermarket fuel comes from Shell, Esso etc.

Miles per gallon figures can be very misleading from the computer unless they are checked rigorously tankful to tankful.

WOW! I sit there with a grin on my face if I manage 40 mpg on my e320 cdi, seems a little unimpressive now!

How truthful are the MPG readouts?

Auto Express didnt seem to think they werent much cop on some brands...

....Seat Arosa 1.7 Sdi. Seriously. Here's how...

4. Remove your rear view mirror so you can simply relax enjoy the trip. Use your door mirrors instead.

It illegal isn't it? Ask any of the plod members here.

If it is not illegal I prefer to remove door mirrors instead.

It illegal isn't it? Ask any of the plod members here.

If it is not illegal I prefer to remove door mirrors instead.

Dont think so otherwise all my vans are running around illegally as are all the lorrys on our roads.

2 mirrors have to be in use - any combination of internal rvm or the external fits, as Marcos says, the interior is not required if 2 are fitted outside.

As for the Arosa, I had one of those as a courtesy car once, a tdi thingy, it was a hoot to drive and didn't appear to use any fuel at all

2 mirrors have to be in use - any combination of internal rvm or the external fits, as Marcos says, the interior is not required if 2 are fitted outside.

As for the Arosa, I had one of those as a courtesy car once, a tdi thingy, it was a hoot to drive and didn't appear to use any fuel at all

I always thought you had to have the internal rvm and the outside drivers side mirror or the 2 outside ones without an internal rvm.
An internal and a passenger outside is illegal.

I once owned an Audi A2 1.4 TDi. Audi claimed 65mpg combined, but even with very careful driving I could only achieved 65mpg on a long motorway run doing 60mph. It seems some manufacturers mpg figures are more credible than others.

Probably psychological as much supermarket fuel comes from Shell, Esso etc.

Miles per gallon figures can be very misleading from the computer unless they are checked rigorously tankful to tankful.
Shell and the other Major oil companys do supply fuels to third parties, supermarkets etc, but this fuel does not contain the oil companys additives. The basic fuel is the same spec from all the oil companys with the only difference being the different additives injected during loading.
The reason you are getting better fuel consumption from Shell is down to the different additives in Shell fuels. All the Major oil companys pickup fuel from each others distribution terminals but still have their own additives injected during loading.

I used to have a Lupo 1.7.. similar story.. my Gran drives it now and literally fills it up every 2 months !! Fab little cars

I'll keep you posted as to how the A2 1.4 TDI measures up.. they quote 70mpg.. but I'm not convinced..

I used to have a Lupo 1.7.. similar story.. my Gran drives it now and literally fills it up every 2 months !! Fab little cars

I wouldnt want to use one as a regular driver on a motorway. I would suspect that in a collision at motorway speeds - even 55mph, you wouldnt walk away from it. Those Lupos and Arosas are VERY small cars with little mass or distance between you and the front of the car.
And then where does all that penny pinching get you?
Driving down to the last GTG a few weeks ago at Ollies near Portsmouth I got well over 40mpg from my 2004 C200K. Never exceeded 70mph and usually around 60.
40mpg will do me thanks. Coupled with a much higher degree of safety.

There is a difference in diesels, I know that when I cross the pond and fill up at shell (all locals ones have now disappeared), by the second tank full my car runs a lot smoother and I get 4 -5 mpg more.

Cheers

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom