87 300D W124 cut out on a steep hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennycb

Car
´87 W124 300D
Was driving up a twisty steep hill with about an eight a tank of diesel when suddenly felt a few small hesitations at 2k rpm in 3rd/4th gear. Thought it was just my imagination, changed down to second and took it through the rev range pulling fine. Then after the next sharp left bend (still uphill) the car suddenly cut out completely.

Didn´t know what else to do so tried to start it and started instantly although a bit rough and then carried on with the occasional hesitation, mostly after left bends.

Put another 20 litres of diesel in on way back down and done 60km more and car doesn´t hesitate nor cut out though haven´t been up a steep prolonged hill again.

Car has no history so was going to get diesel filter replaced does this sound liek this could solve it? any other ideas/ things to rule out? If the problem is just some crud in tank could keeping it half full solve the problem. I´ve driven the car on reserve before with no problems but didn´t take it up a steep hill at the time i don´t think.

Thanks, is the strainer easy to access or right inside the tank?. I´ll have to get a mechanic to do it all, is it a big job? I understand filters should be half an hour or less

In-line filters, half an hour as you say. Make sure he does the pre filter too it looks something like this. Mercedes W116 W123 W124 R126 Diesel Fuel Pre-Filter In-Line Filter HENGST NEW | eBay Yours will probably be black as pitch.

Tank strainer may not need doing. Never had mine done at 207k miles. I suspect its the pre filter which is letting you down here more that the main filter.

Good Luck with it all.

CHEERS

Is this the car that had not been used for a while?
In which case you may have "diesel bug" problems blocking the filters. If the pre filter is blocked with crud that looks like dry compost then you may have this problem. Google diesel bug treatment.

The filters have been changed but the mechanic said they were enclosed so no way of telling what they were like inside. Got a 400km journey coming up tomorrow to test but I think I´ll just keep fuel over the quarter mark to be safe and see what happens. Hopefully the end of the story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom