9 G Tronic Auto Box.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
Does anyone on here have the 9speed auto gearbox? What do you think, from what I've heard no one seems very impressed, some say it clunks when selecting lower gears in town, others that top is too high, I thought it was a good idea , although 9 does seem a lot, I have 7 which is fine, is 9 gears any better? :dk:

Moved from BMW 5 series with 8 speed box to E coupe 350d with 9 speed box in September. Found 9 speed smoother than BMW on way up the box but a little lumpy going 3, 2, 1. The Merc box does give you the feeling of engine breaking as you feel in a manual box, BMW seldom seems to give engine breaking effect. Merc 8 and 9 gears seem slow to be selected, 70 mph on slightest incline and the do not show. When pressing hard 9th comes in at around 110 mph ( playing on autobahn ).
Taking delivery of A 250d C Class estate in March this has 7 speed box, I understand the Cope has 9 speed box. It's a shame the cope does not have the 9 speed ( bet it does by September) as it gives you excellently smooth performance when driven with reserve and the feel of a sports manual when driven is a spirited way.

Farmer boy said:
Moved from BMW 5 series with 8 speed box to E coupe 350d with 9 speed box in September. Found 9 speed smoother than BMW on way up the box but a little lumpy going 3, 2, 1. The Merc box does give you the feeling of engine breaking as you feel in a manual box, BMW seldom seems to give engine breaking effect. Merc 8 and 9 gears seem slow to be selected, 70 mph on slightest incline and the do not show. When pressing hard 9th comes in at around 110 mph ( playing on autobahn ). Taking delivery of A 250d C Class estate in March this has 7 speed box, I understand the Cope has 9 speed box. It's a shame the cope does not have the 9 speed ( bet it does by September) as it gives you excellently smooth performance when driven with reserve and the feel of a sports manual when driven is a spirited way.

Silly me breaking should read braking as in slowing down not falling to bits! Have not learnt how to edit posts yet. Would help if I read through before posting.

I was thinking of getting the 350 9 g next time, and I'd heard you don't often get in to 9th, 110 MPH is a bit quick for our roads , though I do drive through Europe 2/3 times a year, later this year the E220 and 250's should get it also, maybe the 250's will make more use of 9th, thanks for your comments.

The 9g in our GLC is pretty good. 1-5 the ratios are pretty short and driving steady will see the box upshift around 2000rpm everytime or less.

In the motorway it will happily sit in 9th from around 60-65mph but say travelling at 70-75 and you push the throttle to do a lane change and on most occasions the car will drop to 8th sometimes 7th.

For me the upshift are very smooth in eco and comfort, downs shifts too with exception to the change 2-1 which still feels like a kick in the butt.

I've found if you drive in sport or sport plus and have a heavy foot the upshift has what I'd say a tug to it, bit like driving a manual and you take your foot off the clutch too quick.

My E220 7g sits in 7th gear/top at 85 MPH and 2000 rpm. I am wondering how your GLC and Farmer Boys E 350 9g compares with this?

Just read your post again, and I suppose the remap though, has changed things quite a bit?

Last edited:
The 9g in our GLC is pretty good. 1-5 the ratios are pretty short and driving steady will see the box upshift around 2000rpm everytime or less.

In the motorway it will happily sit in 9th from around 60-65mph but say travelling at 70-75 and you push the throttle to do a lane change and on most occasions the car will drop to 8th sometimes 7th.

For me the upshift are very smooth in eco and comfort, downs shifts too with exception to the change 2-1 which still feels like a kick in the butt.

I've found if you drive in sport or sport plus and have a heavy foot the upshift has what I'd say a tug to it, bit like driving a manual and you take your foot off the clutch too quick.

I echo what Jay said - my GLC 250 goes through gears 1-5 pretty quickly but smoothly. Occasionally on the motorway (if poodling along with the traffic queues) I manually change from 8 -9. I had the 7 speed in my ML350 and this is just as smooth.

I was thinking of getting the 350 9 g next time, and I'd heard you don't often get in to 9th, 110 MPH is a bit quick for our roads , though I do drive through Europe 2/3 times a year, later this year the E220 and 250's should get it also, maybe the 250's will make more use of 9th, thanks for your comments.

He means 110 when you're accelerating hard. Normally it goes into 9th at a much lower speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom