'91 Mercedes 190E - HELP w/ Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quantass

We own a 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.3 car. I'm having troubles getting this backlight to come on...

the gear shift panel

The backlight which illuminates the P/D/R/3/2 does not come on so it is difficult at night shifting to/from reverse/drive.

I've checked the fuse box and there doesn't appear to be a fuse for it. For the record here's a snapshot of the fuse box:

My guess is a dead bulb below the panel. Can someone tell me how to access the bulb beneath it? I've tried lifting the edges with a screwdriver but it doesnt appear to give.

Thanks.

I have a W124 which has a similar if not the exact same set up.

The black plastic cover (gear shift panel bit) should unclip (it is quite tight but will come off) then under neath that there is a clear panel which kind of spreads the light fibre optically, then from there you should be able to spot the dead bulb, it'll be a tiny little diddy thing, not sure of the offical name/size but it is capless but much smaller & only about 2W

As above, probably a dead bulb. You should be able to replace the bulb without removing anything more than you have already. It's been a long time since I swapped one, but I think the bulb is located somewhere in the top of the selector unit. Similar to the link posted by Dec although I don't remember it being quite so fiddly on the W201 (maybe more room behind the selctor or something)

Just look for the small wires and the plastic bulb holder :)

Will

You guys are dead-on right! I've discovered that tiny bulb holder and bulb. Nice.

At went to Canadian Tires for a replacement bulb but after purchasing what i thought was the right size, it seems the bulb is slightly too wide to drop deeper into the holder. Damn. CT has no other bulb like it. I was on a parts supplier website and i believe i found a replacement. They stated part #: 4B300-18927. I was going to call around locally to avoid having to buy the part in bulk online. Is this part # universal to make it easier to ask for it over the phone?

Thanks for all your help!!

That bulb will be available in any motor accessory shop/store or MB dealer. Probably Bosch, bring the old one with you for comparison.

Dec

If you can't get a new bulb , go to any breakers yard with Mercedes being broken and get any number of these bulbs from dash illumination etc .

VW also use these same bulbs .

I found this photo on-line. It's an "Osram 2721" :thumb:

Attachments

• Osram 2721.jpg
    Osram 2721.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 29
I found the correct bulb.

Thank you VERY much to everyone. All of you have made handling these problems SO much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom