911 thoughts please gentlemen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm glad this come up, I'm also looking at getting a different car in the next few months and have pretty much narrowed it down to a 2005/6 997 C4S or V8 Vantage (I'll try and test drive a C63 too).

Lxi what was the big let down with the Vantage? I've only managed to road test the C4S so far and it's going to take some beating.

Deker

I've only managed to road test the C4S so far and it's going to take some beating.

Deker

Try a C2S, far better imho.

I'd also go for the GT-R.

Chavs might aspire to them but I never see chavs driving them - and chavs aspire to Mercs too...

As you say tali, might be too hardcore!

I'm glad this come up, I'm also looking at getting a different car in the next few months and have pretty much narrowed it down to a 2005/6 997 C4S or V8 Vantage (I'll try and test drive a C63 too).

Lxi what was the big let down with the Vantage? I've only managed to road test the C4S so far and it's going to take some beating.

Deker

Have no experience of Aston's, but as has been said before with 997's do really try and get a gen 2 car (2009 - 2012), much better all-round.

Last edited:
Time to settle the 911 vs GT-R debate!

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Attachments

• image-918484548.jpg
    image-918484548.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The GT-R is a much better looking car than the Beetle.

I had a drive in an early Vantage and found it immensely boring to drive, and not particularly fast either. Mondeos are more fun to drive.

911 vs SL

Buy both. Not at the same time, but buy one drive it for a year, sell and buy the other. Why limit yourself to owning so few cars. If you've the money, explore as many cars as possible is my motto.

if your budget allows, get a Turbo or a GT3 version of the 997 or even the 996. The Metzger engine is bullet proof, if not then definitely get a Gen2 997 with the DI engine.

If you do buy a car with a Porsche OEM warranty and it's not from a Porsche dealer, you should get it inspected by a Porsche dealer prior to purchase to ensure that it is still valid eg service history up to date, all inspections such as bodywork done, no non OEM modifications. Even non OEM wipers can void the warranty or if non 'N' rated tyres are fitted.

It is a completely different kettle of fish to a SL, so be sure what you want the car for. Had a 996 C4 prior to the SLK for a couple of years and it was such a brilliant car to drive and also quite practical even when just cruising. I will definitely get another but this time a Turbo version for the extra pace and less anxiety.

For the price you're paying for a 997, have you thought about a nice air cooled 993?

Join the Porsche GB owners club as well. Very informative and you get 10% discount at the dealers on parts and servicing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info (and also Tan), my budget will be pushed for a gen 2 997 so a Turbo is out of reach unless I go for the 996 (with the X50 option), closer to the purchase date I'll try them both along with the Aston.

As for the GT-R, it's a fantastic car but not for me

Thanks

Deker

always had a longing for an older 993 targa

or an autofarm recreated RS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom