'95 W202 key turns fine, car won't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc10

Car
1995 W202 Mercedes
Hi,

I have a '95 W202 C220. It was fine all day yesterday when I was running around town visiting friends and shopping. Easily clocked a little over 100KM. Returned home late last night. There were no instances of bad/weak cranking or choking. This morning the car won't start. Here are some details:
- key turns fine in ignition,
- no problem with the battery,
- can hear the fuel pump when key is in position 2 and the dashboard lights up,
- lights, windows, windscreen wiper, radio, etc. are all working,
- able to open/lock all of the doors,
- no flashing red/green lights (immobiliser),
- checked all fuses (under the bonnet and in the boot) and they are fine,
- petrol is 3/4 full,
- nothing happens when key is twisted to 3 (to start the car) just silence.

I disconnected the ECU and re-inserted them just to test. No luck. Tried to start it again this evening and still won't turn :wallbash: I'm absolutely baffled.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Very common immobiliser issues with this car.
- Solder tracks can break in key.
- Diodes in RVM fail.

Have a search on the forum, lots of posts on this before.

Test the remote fob, should look like the one in video when viewed through a digital camera viewfinder.

Replace batteries if the haven’t been changed recently.

Dec

[YOUTUBE]zQhwvjw29NA[/YOUTUBE]

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Thanks DEC and V12 for the prompt response and suggestions. Will look at it later this weekend.

Though I agree with what has been said above, that these cars of this sort of era do suffer from immobiliser issues, the fact the starter is not turning the engine over indicates to me that your problem is not with the immobilser but with the starter motor circuit.
For info. on my 96 C230K the immobilser will still allow the engine to crank, the immobilser switches a component in the fuel system, possibly the ECU supply, fuel pump relay etc.

I agree with Andy. Check if the starter/relay is getting +12v. Could be as simple as a faulty starter motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom