96 c280 w202 key fob/central locking/programing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JOHNO978

Car
Mercedes C180 W203 Mercedes C280 W 202
Hello guys..wondering if anyone could help me..and apologies for a long post,
3yrs ago my ignition barell went down...the dealer fitted a new barrel with a single key and all was fine...I only used my fob to lock/unlock the car, Then the red light on the mirror stopped working..still caused me no problems, the door lights worked just fine...then about 2 months ago my immobiliser froze and the car could not be started...I could lock/unlock no problem, I got the auto electrician that I always use out and he sorted the problem...an after market alarm that was fitted had froze and somehow disabled the car..he removed it and everything was fine but I noticed I had no lights in the door handle nor the mirror...but all was well...car locked unlocked started. My key fob started to get rather hit and miss then gave up the ghost....I changed the batteries to no avail..now Im locked out of the car..eventually I got lucky and got it to open....its still open 3 weeks later....I contacted lots of fob repairers but got no joy...I eventually went to MB who advised me to try the MB batteries £8 for 2...no joy so a new fob was ordered...today I went to collect it and have it synced...it wouldnt sync...so the guy said that seeing you have had a barrel change you need to have that profile key cut and put into the new fob???...I didnt before...Im going back on tuesday to see the head parts guy who sold me the key...and is a bit more savy than the chap I saw today...could any of you clever chaps throw any light on this at all...I fear its going to cost me more than is really required....everything worked up to the fob breaking down...so in theory it should work again....any help would be really appreciated...again sorry for the long thread...
Regards,
Steve

Any problem starting the car?
Can you put up a picture of the keys that you have?
Are you able to lock and unlock the passenger door with the flip out key blade?

Dec
Below picture... Mercedes W202 C220 C36 Febi Ignition Lock Tumbler with Key 202 460 07 04 New | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Thanks for the reply Dec...my key and fob are the same as the ones in the picture...but dont have the Scorpio alarm fob...never had it at all....the car starts fine as long as I leave the doors unlocked...Im too worried to lock them...if the fob worked at all...but it doesnt...its completely dead...Im going back to the dealers on Tuesday 31st to see the parts manager who sorted the replacement fob out for me...he knows that I have a seperate ignition key after having a new barrel fitted....Im wondering if it could be the LED lights in the mirror and door that dont work....but they have not worked for about 12 months without any problems at all...I hope its just another programing method because of the seperate key....driving me crazy.....

1-When you press the remote fob button, you lock the car and immobilise it as well, so it won’t start.
If the doors don’t lock then that’s a separate locking fault.

2- when you press the remote fob button again, you unlock the car, the immobiliser is disarmed and the car will start. The remote fob is the immobiliser. Locking= arms the immobiliser & unlock= disarms the immobiliser.

Maybe the remote fob is not working? you can test it out of range of the car with a digital camera as described in above pictures.
Looks like the below when viewed through a digital camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQhwvjw29NA

[YOUTUBE]zQhwvjw29NA [/YOUTUBE]

If you press the central locking button on the dash… beside the hazard switch… with the ignition ON, will the doors lock & unlock?

Dec

Last edited:
Hi Dec...yes I can unlock/lock the doors with the blade key...and the doors lock/unlock with the dash button..ignition on...I get an intermitent light on the fob looking through the camera...I have a new fob at the dealers...but the guy couldnt program it when I went last week...Im wondering if its the door/rear view mirror led lights stopping it somehow....Ive checked every fuse..even the 2 under the passenger side footplate...all are fine....the guy at Mercedes reckons that the blade on the new fob needs to be changed to the same one as I have on the seperate key...but they fitted the new ignition barrel so must have had to do some re-programing...I could be way out on that though...

A new lock barrel and a new remote fob would suggest the garage is trying to find/fix the fault by throwing parts at the problem.

Why was the ignition barrel changed? And do you still have the original ignition barrel?

The wouldn't have had to program the ignition barrel or the key that came with it, the barrel is just metal, no electric’s in it.
Does your ignition key have a little open able compartment in the handle with a chip inside it like the one illustrated below?

Dec

Free-Shipping-Mercedes-transponder-font-b-key-b-font-blank-without-font-b-chip-b-font.jpg

Best-Price-FREE-SHIPPING-HU72-Transponder-Key-Shell-For-Mercedes-Benz-With-10-pieces-per-lot.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dec...the key is just a straight forward key with the MB logo on the shank...nothing on the handle at all...it was first changed when the barrel tumblers collapsed an I had to mess around to get it to start...they fitted a new barrel with seperate key...all was well for 3 yrs till the fob stopped working completely...it had been playing up for a good few months but worked after a few attempts...when it stopped altogether I searched for ages to try and get it fixed/replaced by others rather than MB knowing how expensive they are....ended up having to go to main dealer in the end...now they know they fitted another barrel..its on my account...I mentioned this to the sales manager at the time...he sent off for the new fob..I rang them and was told to go down and have it programmed to the car....the chap who tried couldnt do it...I dont think he had much idea to be honest as he told me all the stuff Ive posted above...the manager was off that day and I think he wanted to be the one to do the key as he fitted my barrel...maybe there is something else that needs to be done with the computer that the first guy was unaware of...I hope so or its gonna be a very expensive key fob...I still cant find out if the led lights not working have any affect....they have not been a problem before...Im ringing MB at 10 ish this morning...if they dont ring me first...Ive dealt with the manager from my very first visit there 7 yrs ago and he has always seemed right with me....confused and head wrecked with this old girl at the moment...but I love the old thing...ha ha........I really appreciate you trying to help me my friend,
Regards,
Steve...

A new key should work, that is, if it was the old key that was faulty.
Something else might be wrong elsewhere, that car probably has an alarm fitted which may or may not now be in working order, an alarm could be part of the problem… there may be an alarm sticker in the back door/s windows to indicate the penance of an alarm.

All you can do now is see what the say at the garage this morning.

Dec

There was an aftermarket alarm fitted and a few months ago it caused the immobiliser to freeze on...my auto elec guy came and removed it but Ive had no issues since then...Ive been doing a hell of a lot of research this morning on the door sensor...this could be part of the cause...Im gonna phone my auto elec up shortley to ask if he disabled the immobiliser while he was at it...if he has then Im quite happy about that as I will use the passenger door as entry till I can afford to get the job sorted once and for all...I will keep you posted Dec my friend...

An alternative solution to the inconvenient locking problem is if you weren’t bothered about the remote control locking with the fob, then its possible to put a door lock into the drivers door handle by removing the existing 2 LED lights section and replace that part with a door lock… similar to the passenger side lock in picture below.

The problem is finding a lock for the driver’s side of a W202, with or without a key… passenger side won’t fit driver’s side. If no key then the levers inside the lock barrel can be re-arranged/filed to fit your existing passenger key blade. Work like this does require that you are handy with a screwdriver.
Example of the lock you would need from the passenger side of a French right hand drive car… Türgriff Aussen Vorn Rechts Mercedes C Klasse W202 212085km | eBay
Dec

524736d1372760765-door-lock-doorlock.jpg

That is one track I was thinking of going down aswell Dec....Ive just come off the phone to them now...they want ME to get a blade cut to fit the Key Fob...even gave me a number to call...how kind of them...why the hell didnt they call..then tell me to go for it ..IF they can do it.....Im going mental right now mate...ha ha...I think once this is sorted Im gonna have everything bypassed thats MB and fit another system in from the US...been reading about it..sounds quite promising...will keep you update,
Steve....gonna make that call now...Ha....

First of all Dec I would like to say a massive thank you for all the help and advice you have given me....your input put me onto different trains of thought that helped a lot...here is what I did,
First of all an angry 50 mile round trip the MB Dealer to get my new key....they had done nothing to try and solve my problem all day...they knew I was on my way and not in a good mood...when I got there a couple of "Techies" came out and started to mess about...then came to the conclusion that it must be a fault in the module/sensors etc etc and would need to be put on their diagnostics gizmo...at a further cost depending on the time it took to find the !Fault"...this I declined telling them I had my own chap who was a lot cheaper and had an excellent reputation and was good on Mercs...thats why I use him...they looked kinda shocked but I couldnt care less...I drove home...now here comes the really technical part...bear in mind I have a seperate uncoded key for my ignition,
1) Point fob at rear view mirror and press unlock/lock...
2) start engine...WITHIN 30 SECONDS
3) THATS IT!!!!

And the Merc Techies couldnt fathom that out collectivly....I kept saying this to them...but no...so I did it at home just in case I got stranded with them,
really chuffed

So, you can now lock and unlock the doors from the remote fob?

Dec

I sure can mate...did it about 10/15 times without a hitch and the mirror led lights now work....alas not the door ones...but I shall sort that out soon enough...may just need a squirt of contact cleaner in there to get any crud out...apparently the led off a tv remote will work...my auto elec will have to do that..my soldering is more like a weld...and Im not good at that...ha ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom