96 Sl500 Ice???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NMSL500

Car
SL500 R129 1996. Land Rover TDV6 HSE 2006. Kawasaki ZX12R 2003. Honda CBR100RR Blade 06
A minor problem but one that is bugging me none the less.

My 96 SL500 came with a cheapo jvc cd player which when turned up over the 3/4 volume level is virtually useless due to the distortion from the speakers.
I spoke to a guy who knew a little about MB ICE and he told me that the only system that would sound good in the car was a MB unit due to a third din connection that connects to a box of electrickery under the rear seat unit.
Took out the JVC and there was indeed a third Din plug and after further investigation found the said black box under the seat. becker audio system written on the side.

I trawled through Ebay and found a MB exquisite head unit, Radio / Tape with a 6 changer unit. Bought it in the certain knowledge that my sensitive ears would be assaulted no more......

Unit duely arrived and my puzzlement continued.

There was already a cable running from the radio area to the boot, grey in colour and fitted with round din plugs one female, one male which i thought was for the changer and would fit the new MB unit. However the new unit came with its own lead for the changer which has the oblong din plugs, standard.

Now the problem is that if I fit this lot then the 3rd din plug which feeds the black box will no longer be required as the 3rd slot is used for cd changer cable and will by pass the becker box under the seat. :confused:

My questions are-
What system would have been fitted to the car from new?
What does the box under the seat do?
Is the round din cable already fitted a mercedes item and what head unit / changer should i be looking for?
Anyone want to buy a good condition Exquiste radio/ tape head unit, 6 cd changer, lead and code card??

Thanks for your patience!

You can find out what was fitted by entering your VIN into the Russian Owner's Club website. Most likely it was Becker MB Audio 10, always available on eBay. The later cars had D2B links so the DIN plugs were redundant.

Russian Owner's Club

Thanks for that Stats
Not much further forward it seems

Only infor for car ICE is as follows

533 front and rear speakers - without radio (с 01.03.1994)

:confused:

Have you checked the physical condition of the speakers?

Yes, physically they look ok, no cones smashed in, no holes or rips in the speaker itself. All moving in and out of the coil with ease.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom