'97 C180 auto box slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hotrodjon

Car
Mercedes C180
My 90,000miles C180 which is used every day had to be used to tow my 750kg kit car this weekend and it was not very happy. The engine pulls like a train and had no problem but the gearbox would not keep itself in top gear so was over revving. Is it likely that a change of fluid and filter may help !!! are there any external adjustments that can be made. I only towed it for about 5 miles ( I used to tow it with ease with my previous car which was a Rover 45 auto ) after dropping the kit car off I did over 250 miles with only one minor incident when accelerating hard at a road junction when it slipped / over revved a bit.

I am going to do the fluid and filter change next weekend but not very happy if the gearbox needs a rebuild with only 90,000 miles on it.

My previous Saab 9-5 auto box was getting very snatchy and choppy at 60,000 miles.

The fluid pulled out of it at that stage was black and manky.

I understand from the new owner the gearbox is getting crappy again and it's just over 90,000 miles.

Had I not done the fluid at 60,000 miles, I wonder if it would have seen 90,000 miles.

I think my inde recommended the 30,000 miles to 40,000 miles mark for changing fluid.

If this is the first time yours has been done, and it has had a hard life (used a lot for towing or stop start urban driving), it might be it has reached the end of its useful life.

The Honest John website talks about Jags running Merc boxes which are 'sealed for life' but which can mean a 'life' of 80,000 miles as a result.

Is it an easy job as i feel mine needs changind to Thanks

There's a thread on here if you do a search. Me personally, I took it to an Indy as after I costed it up, it didnt save that much in terms of materials alone. If, however you're very mechanically minded and want a challenge then you could complete it on your drive way using a jack, wheel chocks and a tool kit........

I intend to do the job myself as it is dead money if it ends up having to have a reuild anyway. It has never been used for towing before, I only fitted the towbar a couple of weeks back and should in fact easily be able to pull 750kg very ocassionally. engine wise no problem just slip in the gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom