97 CL600 V12.. future values?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
Its been a while since I've posted, good to be back!

What's the general concensus on these lovely beasts in this form in terms of future values if they were kept in great condition in say 10 - 15 years time?

Specifics: Azurite Blue with mushroom/light stone two tone interior, big spec naturally, 57k on the clock. This particular example is spotless inside and out every bit as original and looks as though its just rollled off the production line 18 years ago.

This wouldnt be a daily driver if considered. Probably a few hundred miles a year in summer if that.

Ta Billy.

Make sure it fits on your garage first,those things are huge

I doubt a 30+ year old W140 would be worth a lot no matter how good the condition, but who knows! I guess it's a better bet than later CLs ... can't see the parts etc. being available to keep such complex cars on the road after many decades.

Low.

They're ugly.

cohhhh! nah, looks sublime. (might need a roll top box for 124 if you got any lying about still pal)

0353614-Mercedes-Benz-CL-600-Designo-1996.jpg

Ugh! Got to be the ugliest pillarless coupe MB have ever made, a fat lump of a car for lard ****d Americans.

What are you looking for in the way of a box?

It's the headlamps that fail for me. Should have used the same front end as the S.

It's the headlamps that fail for me. Should have used the same front end as the S.

I know exactly what you mean i have been thinking this for years. How amazing would that have looked.

Yup the front end is vaguely reminiscient of a Ford Scorpio ...

Ford_Scorpio_01.jpg

Besides the front end design and opinions so far, do we not think this is a candidte for a future modern classic in 600 form? Given the first merc coupe to be handed a V12 and the overall no expense spared engineering MB era it orginates from, i'm sure its got to be considered and yes it can be marmite but in the flesh these things things look stunning imo. they cant depreciate any more, however future values are dependant on how apperciated these things are or will be in the future

...agree/disagree?

It all depends on if the electronics will last. There are thousands of electrolythic capacitors that will dry out in time. Remember that MB shifted from building cars like tanks into cars that lasts 10 years/200.000 kms at about the time of the W140.
If you find a car that you like, consider it a "project" and accept from the very beginning that it will be of no value if/when you try to sell it. One example: Fixing an AC in the W140 that requires replacement of the interior heat exchanger can cost as much as € 5000 as the entire dashboard will have to come out. That is unless you are handy and have plenty of time...

Last edited:
It all depends on if the electronics will last. There are thousands of electrolythic capacitors that will dry out in time. Remember that MB shifted from building cars like tanks into cars that lasts 10 years/200.000 kms at about the time of the W140.
If you find a car that you like, consider it a "project" and accept from the very beginning that it will be of no value if/when you try to sell it. One example: Fixing an AC in the W140 that requires replacement of the interior heat exchanger can cost as much as € 5000 as the entire dashboard will have to come out. That is unless you are handy and have plenty of time...
I've got my 124 to thank for as a project...I've spent... actually no way i'm even about to disclose figures as i don't want to spoil your supper or even make you spit your tea out all over your lovely electronic device and/or peripherals! Truth is i don't even know what the cost is and its still on going (watch this space for anyone following billy's 124 coupe project thread) im too scared to count all the invoices and bills but i know it runs way beyond any logical sense but 100 times what its worth in terms of value in my heart.

In terms of things going wrong on the 140, lack of use may be a trigger in my case for potential things to go wrong. It of course will be housed away from the elements so im not too worried about the usual culprits.

Interesting point regarding 10 yr life span, way beyond the threshold then!

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I've always thought the CL is the big ugly sister of the MB range. Every time I see one I think "Why?". I can see SLs being worth money in 15 years time and even the humble CLKs because they at least look elegant but not the CL especially the V12 which would scare most collectors away because of maintenance issues.
What will be collectable in 15 years time is anybody's guess but the ease and cost of maintenance will be a huge factor.

Last edited:
You never know! Looking at a new magazine out " modern classics" it's quite surprising what's selling and for silly money. Of course the R129 is in there. Even the E46 M3 and E60 M5 albeit low mileage well spec cars are selling for alot more than you would think.

I'm a bit peeved I let go of my immaculate 1 owner 2005 40k well specced E46 M3 Coupe, 3 1/2 years ago if I had held on to it and kept it as I do pamper cars I would think I would achieve 20k!

I can't see the W140 ever being a future modern classic I'm afraid.

When you think how easy on the eye some of the classic Mercs are ranging up to stuff like the SEC - the W140 doesn't have a look-in.

Only time will tell.

I'm a bit peeved I let go of my immaculate 1 owner 2005 40k well specced E46 M3 Coupe, 3 1/2 years ago if I had held on to it and kept it as I do pamper cars I would think I would achieve 20k!

I know of an Estoril vert on a 53 up for £13k. It hasn't sold but they are still in the teens for mint ones so you could well be right there...

CLS's are astronomical!

Any W/C140 will always play 2nd fiddle to a W/C126. Better overall car the W140 is no doubt but esthetics and complexity are major hurdles especially complexity as per Uky's post. Enjoy the CL600 now and forget about one in ten years time would be my view.

I can't see the W140 ever being a future modern classic I'm afraid.

When you think how easy on the eye some of the classic Mercs are ranging up to stuff like the SEC - the W140 doesn't have a look-in.

Only time will tell.

I know of an Estoril vert on a 53 up for £13k. It hasn't sold but they are still in the teens for mint ones so you could well be right there...

CLS's are astronomical!

I've seen a CSL up for 70k needless to say it hasn't sold, a few minters have shifted at 50k.

CSL is a fantastic car like the Std M3 imo you can't really get the full benefit/ enjoyment unless you track them. Power band kicks in around 4.5k up to 8 and a bit by which time your more than likely doing silly speed combine that with M3 brakes ... good luck stopping! I still love the the look of the E46 M3.

I prefer the low Down torque of a N/A, which the E46 M3 lacked, you have to rev the nuts out of it to keep it on the power.

I've seen a CSL up for 70k needless to say it hasn't sold, a few minters have shifted at 50k.

CSL is a fantastic car like the Std M3 imo you can't really get the full benefit/ enjoyment unless you track them. Power band kicks in around 4.5k up to 8 and a bit by which time your more than likely doing silly speed combine that with M3 brakes ... good luck stopping! I still love the the look of the E46 M3.

I prefer the low Down torque of a N/A, which the E46 M3 lacked, you have to rev the nuts out of it to keep it on the power.

Yes, I remember the brakes in the E36 Evo - they did struggle after not very long!

N/A?

Id agree with the SL being thr more sought after no doubt. Can't seem to find many 600 v12 c140's for sale at the moment vs. SL 600s, quite a few of these floating about..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom