'97 SLK 230K Acceleration Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
Hi all,

I have a '97 SLK 230K. The performance recently has been doing my head in. I have to accelerate very carefully and not press the accelerator too far in order to build up speed. I have to lift of the accel pedal to get the car to shift up and continue building speed. It doesn't occur at a specific number of revs.

The problem has existed for a while now. When it originally started, two cylinders would pack in. I'd restart the engine and all was well for a while.

I've had new coils - one was fried the other was looking like it was going the same way. Then a new air mass sensor - the old sensor was coated in oil - this cured the problem for a while and now it's back constantly. Next, some brass inlet valves for the air sensor were cleaned (don't know technical term as I'm a numpty when it comes to car technical stuff). The car gets serviced as required - just had an A-service. Anyhow, I have to drive like Sister Wendy and it's driving me mad :( (no pun intended :p).

I spent a while searching the forum; seems like a few people have had similar problems, but I'm unsure where to go next with this. Any advise would be great!

Cheers,
Simon

You probably have oil contamination in your air mass sensor.

Were the brass valves only cleaned?

Did they replace any other breather pipes?

Did they clean ALL the oil out?

Were the coil pack "boots" replaced as well as the coil packs?

Also not spoken to you in AGES, where/how have you been? :)

Cheers for the replies guys....

Hi BlackC55:

I'd have to get back to the mechanic to get definite answers. I'll take a look at the air mass sensor. I saw the replacement get done - it was simple enough.

The brass valves only were cleaned. It was done about 2 weeks after the air sensor was replaced. I did ask (nervously) if I'd need another sensor but was told no.

No breather pipes were replaced.

Hi Nick:

Dunno if the boots were replaced. Again, I'll check.

Other than my car woes I'm good ta. Yeah, I've not been on here for donks. Just doing the same old...still in Edinburgh. Not been down south (that's anywhere in England for me :D) for ages. Folks moved abroad so only really go down at xmas.

Sorry to here your mota is sick. Good to see you back here again!

Hi,

Sorry for the (very) late reply. But it looks like the problem's finally fixed.

The boots and breather pipes had all been replaced. A crack was found in the intercooler. A temporary fix has been made and I'm trying the car out for a few days to see how I get on - so far so good. Next step is to get a new intercooler fitted.

R2D2: Cheers for the hello. :)

Cheers all!
s

hope you have not got a performance air filter as well as that contributes to maf contamination

Some early SLKs need maf cleaned every 6 months or so. Early crank vent system is poor. as stated hoses AND seperator need removing and washing out. The hoses also get brittle and need replacing every few years.

Part 71

Bazzle

Attachments

• slk0935.jpg
    slk0935.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Rocker cover.gif
    Rocker cover.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 66
Cheers! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back