98 e300td MAF,LOUD whistle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oz2022

been having problems with power on my e300td and a loud whistle sound from drivers side under the bonnet.have been told it probably needs new MAF,iv tried unplugging but lose power.
been offered a genuine bosch MAF with the tube,just wondering whether changing just the sensor would do it without the tube.
any ideas?

Forget the MAF, it sounds like a turbo pipe has split or the exhaust is blocked.

Thought it could be to do with turbos,i think il get it looked at or check it our myself.
Does any of you know whether the turbo pipe or pipes are easy to get to,so i could have look for myself?or is it a job for the mechanic?
thanks

The boost pipes are easy to get to and never normally give trouble due to being made of aluminium, but they have rubber connector pipes to the intercooler.

You need to go underneath for a proper look though as most of the piping is under there. Look for oil escaping as it's blown out.

B14045000024.0340.gif

Would a cracked exhaust manifold cause the same symptoms?
I only mention this as oddly enough 2 friends have had that same fault just last week.

thanks for that,iv taken a look from what i could see from the pipes next to the engine but they all look ok.i think il try a look from the bottom.

took car in to get it looked at and after diagnostics it looks like the MAF needs replacing,and also been told the turbos on its way out and that was making the loud whisltling sound.
now looking for replacements.
thanks for the info people

anyone know how much a replacement turbo would cost for a 98 e300td,iv heard the full thing is expensive?or a good place to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom