996 911 c2/4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
I'm considering one.......I work away 2 weeks out of 3 (Off-shore, Nigeria), so my mileage is down considerably.....the W202 is still a nice drive, but I want something that feels a bit special.....and the Mrs is not against the idea. Don't worry - the volvo is going, and keeping the W202.

So the question is pros/cons of either a 3.4 C4 (with fixed engine) or a later 3.6 C2 ? - looking around the £20k or just under similer to this one

What experience does the collective here have of these beasties ?
What's servicing/maintance costs like ?

Funny that... I'm looking at 996 C4S and Turbo's at the moment, been doing my homework a little.... With your budget I'd look at the 993 model instead as most of those are bullit proof engine wise... The 996 C2, C4's all had possible engine liner issues, the Turbo uses the same block as the 993 albeit with turbos and other ancilleries... If you do go for one of the others make sure you get a good warranty...

http://www.prestigecarsltd.com/vehicle-details.asp?Make=54&ID=1290751

http://www.prestigecarsltd.com/vehicle-details.asp?Make=54&ID=1332066

Last edited:
Another good site is 911virgin.com. I've linked to the buyers' guide page. Worth reading.

My brother bought and sold back his immaculate low mileage LHD 993 C4S from 911 Virgin. They had some great stock when I visited with him to view the car first time round.

The 993 is a classic and looks so much nicer than the 996 if you can live with the old skool interior.

Ade

If you can stretch to a 997 the 996 is too compromised we have done loads of engine work on these there are a few very well known problems early cars had engine liner & cooling problems which led to high temps and warped cylinder heads, handling was also pretty sh*te on these cars compared to the 993 or 997. The later 996 were not too bad 2004 & 2005 vintage as most of the inherent problems were sorted by then.

My advice would be 993 or 997, the 996 is the runt of the litter IMHO

Have you driven one? I've wanted a 911 several times and when the time came that I could buy one, I found that I had back ache (lower back) within an hour. I was gutted at the time.

I've since heard others suggest the same, and it was suggested that the pedals are offset to accomodate the fuel tank.

I think it was perhaps made more accute for me because I had problems with that part of my back when I used to be more sporting, and it just made an old problem resurface. Worth trying an extended test drive though.

PS I too would opt for a 997 if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom