'997' 911

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
spent a few afternoons driving the family 997 Carrera S in Spain this past week. Sweet Mother that thing is fast......really is the supercar of choice for under 100k

The AMGs would not keep up with it on a twisting mountain road. :eek:

SportsCoupeRich said:
spent a few afternoons driving the family 997 Carrera S in Spain this past week. Sweet Mother that thing is fast......really is the supercar of choice for under 100k

Until you get to a straightish part of the road, then it's a different story! :D

I don't think that anyone's going to disagree on handling grounds. Straight line speed would be another issue.

Maff,

Steve (Porsche 585hp guy) has ordered the new 997 Turbo - 18 month wait. Reckons he might be able to drive the 996 by then.

until you top out at 155! :)

CL AMG 0-100 in about 10.3 secs?

new 911S in 11.3 i think?

plus the 911 would of opened up a bit of an advantage over the twisties....having driven the sl55 down the same road i reckon you would be hard pushed to keep up with one of these 997s in anything less than a 360/430 or gallardo class car. truly mind blowing grip and handling.

Would be an interesting as a spectator race though! Imagine a silver AMG 500bhp chasing a little Graphite 997 up a mountain rd.....reminiscient of a Bond film.....

What really struck me about the car is that, compared with the 996, the interior actually belongs in the modern day...rather than a rehashed 70s and 80s facia.

Sitting outside my office at the moment is a 911 GT3 complete with roll cage so I presume it is a Clubsport.

Just what you need in the middle of the Congestion Charging Zone.

SportsCoupeRich said:
until you top out at 155! :)

Mine tops out at 204MPH (according to the mags) (no limiter) :D :D :crazy:

Would be a good bit of fun though chasing a 997, as of yet nothing has 'played' with me :(

del320 said:
Yeah Yeah - but do you have Chrome Pedals?

LOL!! :D :D

tnDSCF0028.JPG

Maff said:
Mine tops out at 204MPH (according to the mags) (no limiter) :D :D :crazy:

Would be a good bit of fun though chasing a 997, as of yet nothing has 'played' with me :(

ZR rated tyres then?

204MPH is some SERIOUS speed and I would not dare do it as doing 160MPH in a CL600 was scaring the hell out of me... I wont say where BUT full well knew if I got caught I would get an instant ban and therr would be no way out of it EXCEPT if I was a PLOD... ;)

P.S. MAFF - I'm sure I saw u down Windosor on Monday at mini round about by the multi storey car park...

Flash

Flash said:
P.S. MAFF - I'm sure I saw u down Windosor on Monday at mini round about by the multi storey car park...

Flash

Yes, I was in Windsor and I drove that way home on Monday :)

Maff said:
Yes, I was in Windsor and I drove that way home on Monday :)

Nice motor - could do with bit of black on the tyres though... ;)

I doubt u even saw me uit u had to stop to let me pass in my W203 at mini round about and I was sure it was u cos the prefix on ur ur plate starts with "MM".

Flash

SportsCoupeRich said:

I think you may be right, but the AMG's seem to be improving fast - The Stig lapped faster in a CLS 55 AMG last week than he had managed a 911 GT3!!!

Just... :eek:

Check the times here

yeah i saw that, but wasnt the weather horrendously wet? the 997 carrera s went round 2 secs slower but in an absolute downpour and the 'business' gt3 RS went round 1n 1.22.something....slightly slower than an SLR. The next turbo and GT3 will be phenomenal.

The carrera s lapped 3 secs quicker than the 996 turbo in the wet....and is already quicker round than the cl65 and not far off the cls 55....will be interesting to see the next GT3, with its Carrera GT technology....

SportsCoupeRich said:
What really struck me about the car is that, compared with the 996, the interior actually belongs in the modern day...rather than a rehashed 70s and 80s facia.

Easy Rich ;) ......... do you mean the 996 or the 993, I've got a 996 and it doesn't 'feel' that outdated even when compared to 'modern day' cars like my old W211. Now the 993, that is more like, erm... a rehashed 70s or 80s facia :D

SportsCoupeRich said:
new 911S in 11.3 i think?
According to Autocar the 996 C2 is 10.5, they've obviously bloated the 997 with the new dash :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom