A £1100 Stone Chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Just a couple of months into ownership of my Sonic Red RC I've collected a stone chip on the bonnet. Because of the 5 stage paint process an invisible spot repair isn't possible. Lexus have quoted £1100 for a complete bonnet and wing blend respray. Not an unexpected sum but worth spending on one chip?

I've also been offered a repair using a touch-up pen, under bodyshop control FOC. Lexus say it won't be perfect but I'm sure it'll be better than any attempt I could make and will camouflage the present white blemish.

I'm thinking, what's to loose? Go for the touch-up and unless it's a complete wart of a job, I'll collect a few more to make it worthwhile getting the £1100 job done.

Stone chips are an unavoidable hazard on a daily driver but I'm a little surprised at the size of the chip, considering I was completely unaware of anything contacting the bonnet, only discovering the crater during washing the car.

Oh well, just off to drive the rust from the discs after cleaning yesterday's rain of the car.

Any excuse :bannana:

IMG_20170324_152540_zps4wdkika4.jpg

IMG_20170324_152530_zpslzvls9j2.jpg

IMG_20170324_152521_zpsq72aahjj.jpg

Chipex do Toyota Sonic Red - wonder if that's the same? I'd say it's a little more than a stone-chip though.

Amazing how these things happen - the paint on my C Class seems to literally chip off, I guess that the nano thing. My screen seems to take a lot of hits too - I honestly wonder whether birds drop stones on cars as I've heard bangs when there isn't another car around.

Just a couple of months into ownership of my Sonic Red RC I've collected a stone chip on the bonnet. Because of the 5 stage paint process an invisible spot repair isn't possible. Lexus have quoted £1100 for a complete bonnet and wing blend respray. Not an unexpected sum but worth spending on one chip?

I've also been offered a repair using a touch-up pen, under bodyshop control FOC. Lexus say it won't be perfect but I'm sure it'll be better than any attempt I could make and will camouflage the present white blemish.

I'm thinking, what's to loose? Go for the touch-up and unless it's a complete wart of a job, I'll collect a few more to make it worthwhile getting the £1100 job done.

Stone chips are an unavoidable hazard on a daily driver but I'm a little surprised at the size of the chip, considering I was completely unaware of anything contacting the bonnet, only discovering the crater during washing the car.

Oh well, just off to drive the rust from the discs after cleaning yesterday's rain of the car.

Any excuse :bannana:

IMG_20170324_152540_zps4wdkika4.jpg

IMG_20170324_152530_zpslzvls9j2.jpg

IMG_20170324_152521_zpsq72aahjj.jpg

Id touch it up myself with a pin and the paint in a three or four stage build up. get it as flat as possible then get a good detailer to blend it in with very fine wet and dry and polish professionally.

Chipex do Toyota Sonic Red - wonder if that's the same? I'd say it's a little more than a stone-chip though.

Amazing how these things happen - the paint on my C Class seems to literally chip off, I guess that the nano thing. My screen seems to take a lot of hits too - I honestly wonder whether birds drop stones on cars as I've heard bangs when there isn't another car around.

Yes, I thought of trying Chipex but the RC is one of the first Lexus models to receive this new multistage paint process. I suppose I knew it was going to be expensive to maintain/correct but this soon? :(

Id touch it up myself with a pin and the paint in a three or four stage build up. get it as flat as possible then get a good detailer to blend it in with very fine wet and dry and polish professionally.

I think it'll need a pretty big pin!

As Lexus have offered a FOC touch-up in their bodyshop, I think I'll let them try..

That would be my course of action, as there will be more stone chips.

Unfortunately, pearlescent colours like that are built up on a white basecoat which means that stone chips stand out like a sore thumb.

Or paint it and then clear vinyl bra/wrap protective film.

That would be my course of action, as there will be more stone chips.

Unfortunately, pearlescent colours like that are built up on a white basecoat which means that stone chips stand out like a sore thumb.

Substitute the blue with red ...

Heat-Blue-graphic.jpg

Last edited:
Or paint it and then clear vinyl bra/wrap protective film.

I considered this but the bra would extend a long way up the bonnet and with the many curves and creases I'm not sure it would look acceptable.

Clear protection film is invisible,and it really does protect the paintwork, but it's expensive. But worth considering if the paintwork is subject to chip damage..

So Peter how did the repair come out? Acceptable ?

I decided I'd collect a few more before worrying about it.

touch up for now and respray if it's really bad

you spend a grand on it today, chances are you may get another one straight away, money down the drain then

Just put a bonnet bra on it :D :ban:

For £1100 you can have entire front done in xpel no longer worry about stonechips. Doesn't solve you immediate problem though, but I would definitely recommend film on five layer paint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom