A 160 gear box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john Palmer

My 1999 A160 recently bought at 47,000k seems to engage reverse when cold start quite harshly, a distinct bump. Fine when warm and changes etc OK even when cold.
Is this normal as it seems to be harsh compared with other auto cars I have owned.

John P

My previous car, A140 Auto was similar in engaging reverse from start/cold. I assume it's an A-Class 'thing'. Current C220 nothing of the sort, but then the car weighs about 20x more!

Thanks Robert for prompt reply.
What year and mileage when you got rid of your A 140?
Any other issues?
Thanks
John P

Hiya, it was a 51 reg A140 Classic with optional electric rear windows, auto box, air con/climate, metallic paint. It was the "facelift" model - revised dash, bodywork etc.

Nice car, but usual A-class faults (some seemingly "built in") such as poor ride/loose trim. Also, faults with gearbox summer/winter selector switch, and faulty electric windows. These were particularly bad on drivers door. General playing up, not rising, not lowering, stopped altogether, juddering. Rear tailgate stopped working too, couldn't lock/unlock and rear wash/wipe went AWOL.

Car very versatile though, could swallow a big load (if you pardon the expression) even if seats a bit tricky to fold etc. Biggest gripe was driver seat height adjustment, every time I got in the car my leg would push the seat height down on the lever , so had to constantly reset height on trips.

I had it about 1 year, from 12,000 to 30,000 miles, and it was fine overall (apart from problems above) but I could no longer live with the ride or underpowered engine. But that was more wrong engine choice coupled with decent if sluggish autobox. Not a bad car, but the build problems encountered on the A-Class seem to herald the loss of quality on some other models.

Would I have another? As a second car, yes, despite above. All new A-Class (out next year?) looks good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom