a 170 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prifti97

Car
w210 e290 td
i want to buy a Mercedes a class 170 cdi 1999 for about 1400 euro .sometimes it doesnt reckon the rpm in cluster or the gerabox stuck in one gear ,but if u turn off the engine and turn it back on it gets fixed.how do u think should i avoid it or buy it ?sorry for my bad english. Best regard!

Walk away, there'll be a better one. A class gearboxes are nightmare when they go wrong

iv heard of that ,thanks for the advice,wish u all the best :)

I assume it’s a CVT.

Sounds like the classic speed sensor/ECU problem – car goes into limp mode and can be cleared by turning the ignition off and then staring the car again, car drives fine until the fault returns once more, but it will need to be repaired. MB now supply the ECU separate to the valve body so no need to buy the valve body and ECU together as the case used to be. I’ve been told that the design of new ECU/speed sensor unit has been improved in order for this not to re-occur in future units.

There are companies around that claim to be able to repair the ECU for around £350, however I’ve heard good and bad reviews regarding their success rates and the longevity of the repair. I think that a new ECU is around £400 (but there is of course labour rates on top to consider with both options).

The new ECU will need to be coded to the car via STAR.

If it’s a worse problem like wear on the primary pulley, then you’re looking at a gearbox re-build at around £2500!...http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/201789-cvt-rebuild.html

Although I quite like the A Class that I have I probably wouldn’t have bought it if I’d known about the common problems that these cars suffer from!

I believe it is a A W168 which, to the best of my knowledge, has a traditional TC auto.

However, with a car this age and an obvious problem I would walk away. There will be other options along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom