A 190 diesel on veg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina2201

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
Hi, I have been asked at work if I knew if a Merc 190 diesel would be ok to run on veg. Now, I'm no expert (far from it) so I'm asking you guys! Also if any other cars, not necesarily a Merc could run on it relatively easily, he was mentioning Peugeots etc etc, any advice welcome. And what/where exactly to buy the veg, ie supermarkets/cash&carry, near where he lives there is a used oil refinery where you can top up!

I am going to give him this forum address, I shall make sure he joins up!;) :D

Hi, I have been asked at work if I knew if a Merc 190 diesel would be ok to run on veg. Now, I'm no expert (far from it) so I'm asking you guys! Also if any other cars, not necesarily a Merc could run on it relatively easily, he was mentioning Peugeots etc etc, any advice welcome. And what/where exactly to buy the veg, ie supermarkets/cash&carry, near where he lives there is a used oil refinery where you can top up!

I am going to give him this forum address, I shall make sure he joins up!;) :D

yep a 190d is a perfect veg car!! One of the best!!

190 forums have a seperate section for this: http://s14.zetaboards.com/mercedes_190_club/forum/5968/

Best to start off on 50% mix and go from there. Possible problems could be the tank fuel strainer and main filter blocking, but should be Ok after a clean/change.
Expect cold starting to not be as good and the car needs some decent runs to keep the injectors from coking up.
Change the oil every 5,000 miles as the veg oil causes thickening.

The MB indirect engines really are the best for veg, but Pug ones work as well, but need the oil to be heated and if fitted with a Lucas pump as opposed to a Bosch, expect it to break.

Keep records of how much Veg is used. It's legal to use upto 2500 litres per year before declaring.

There you go. You can impress them all at work now, with your knowledge...

Thanks, I think he knows a little bit because he mentioned the pump regarding the lucas/bosch etc. Easiest thing would be to get him to sign up here and he can ask away! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom