A 6-week road tour of Scotland where I buy a car for the trip. What car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now you're talking. Plenty of space for the luggage and discreet storage drawer for those things you don't want everyone to see.
screenshot-2023-02-16-at-17-35-20-png.137040
<br><br><br><br>
This is more to my taste
autofunebre-jaguar-revenge-argento-gallery-03-1-900x500.jpg
Imagine going to the lumber yard for supplies in this one.

Out of interest, have you priced up hiring a car for the period? No bureaucratic hoops to jump through, and a quick spin round t'internet shows many classic car hires are available.

Correction. I am OK with losing what I would pay Hertz. I've done sooo many European and UK holidays in whatever bland car they have on the line, so the idea was to make an adventure of it. I set a £2.5 budget because someone asked, but another reply suggested £5k which is doable.

At this point the most appealing cars are remarkably diverse:
  • Smart Roadster, not the Brabus - and with this I would look for one I could send back to NZ and pass their extreme VIN inspection, which means a pampered one for a premium price. I've got a small spare 3.6m space in the city garage that is unoccupied.
  • Freelander 2 with a breakdown and 6 month repair warranty - which means paying a bit more to a reputable dealer
  • Jaguar - anything from the Ford era. I have an XJ6 which is an amazing car but may be a wee bit wide for Scottish roads and I used to have an S-type with the active suspension that took curves like a dream. All are ULEZ which may help on a resale
  • R171 SLK is still in the running
  • And then today the MGTF popped up. Last MG I owned was an MGB that had the suspension of a tractor. Anyone know anything about them?
  • And totally off the wall - Citroen C6
Address in Kensington. Won't consider anything without a MOT beyond my tenure.

The Citroen C6 is a lovely car - I have one - but very big. It's the same size as my Jag XJ6 (X300). Not suitable for narrow Scottish roads imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom