A / B / C / E / S / R / V or other... Which one...

What influenced our choice of MB more?

• Image / Status / Class

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • A practical need

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timskemp

MB Enthusiast
Car
W213 E220d
The "S class estate" thread made me think (and also speccing up a loaded R class to match)...

When we chose our MBs, what made us choose C over B, or S over E, or E over C, or the other way around...

Across the current range the options are very similar, the overlaps are huge - you can add almost everything but airmatic to a C, almost everything but nightvision to an E, and many of us spend a lot of driving time not occupying the space of the bigger cars - so my question is:

Did you choose the "class" of your car for the image and status, or for a practical reason?

I chose mine because I wanted an E for the image of not being the "cheap merc" (C) or flash (S). It fits with my work and those I work with and for. The practical needs (room for a fat git like me, secure boot) would have been catered for by a C class.

What about the rest of us?

You forgot a choice reflecting comfort/driving experience.

I don't have a practical need for the s-class, but also don't buy a car based on its status or perceived classiness. In fact, I doubt that any of my neighbours know what car I drive and I don't know what car most of the drive either.

But I wanted a car that gave me the wealth of comfort I wanted, was easy on the eyes and came with all the toys I love playing with. When comparing different brands, the Merc simply met my own requirements best.

Sorry, for me options are too vague.

A C124 certainly wasn't bought for practicality. I truly don't give toss for image or status - leave that to the boys with golf trolleys and block paviers.

In my case, 'class' refers to the quality and solidity of the 124. After 13 years driving c124s, those qualities combined with pillarless open-air motoring and a smooth straight 6 are the reasons.

I chose the SL because I wanted a V8-engined convertible that wouldn't break down all the time.

I chose the Vito because it was available with a powerful V6 and auto gearbox (the top version of the VW Transporter has 30 bhp less and can only be bought as a manual).

No idea how those fit in with the poll choices!

Agree the poll needs expanding. The SLs I bought for the reason Bill mentioned - image was an old mans car so it certainly wasn't for that!

I wanted something spacious, with a good boot, a powerful engine and some luxury.

I bought my A class because I wanted a cheap to run practical little car that was reliable and well built. Thats why I bought a Mercedes. and why i've had so many.

When I want a powerful, reliable, well built fun sports car that can be used as an every day car or as a GT then I will buy another Mercedes, an SL/CLK55 or SL/CLK63.

I had no practical need for my E-Class coupe, so I was left with former choice! LOL
But I chose it, because of the gorgeous shape and pillarless design :cool:

Darren

I bought mine as I wanted the best car I could get for the money at the time. I also wanted something that would age gracefully and last a long time (a criteria for most of my major purchases). And something that would register positively with clients without being flash.

I started looking at Jag XJSs and cheaper W107s, was persuaded by a former E500 owning friend that W124s were the way to go and was persuaded by my brother that I was too young for an Estate..

I never even looked at alternative model MBs at the time.

More simply, at the time I couldn't bring myself to pick up a just out of warranty Golf/Focus for the same money.

Ade.

GL because of the finance package, space, practicality, road presence, premium brand. Also looked at another Disco3 and Audi Q7, neither could touch the GL for the whole package. Next up will probably be the new E Class estate providing there are equally enticing deals.

I'm choosing a new A-Class because....

It has a short front overhang. With such a steep front drive, something like a Golf would 'beach' on the drive (and I have tried one on the drive).

I'm over a foot taller than my very petite wife. We both need a shared car that suits both our needs.

It fits in our garage (with folding mirrors).

It has features as standard that other makes do not offer at all.

It's a pleasure to drive.

Mercedes-Benz finance is cheaper than others.

You forgot a choice reflecting comfort/driving experience.

I don't have a practical need for the s-class, but also don't buy a car based on its status or perceived classiness. In fact, I doubt that any of my neighbours know what car I drive and I don't know what car most of the drive either.

But I wanted a car that gave me the wealth of comfort I wanted, was easy on the eyes and came with all the toys I love playing with. When comparing different brands, the Merc simply met my own requirements best.

Similar with me. An SLK is not really a practical car in the conventional sense. Its status is no 'better or worse' from what I consider its competition.

It was, for me, as your last sentence.

Bought mine because i liked it ....

Bought mine because I wanted a comfortable, refined, spacious, well-built quality car.

'Image' had nothing to do with it - I can make up my own mind without some brainless marketeer trying to influence me.

I've got my S211 as it was one of only two estates on the market that would allow my guitars to travel flat on the floor.

I also need a car that I can drive for 5 hours and step straight out of into a meeting - so that narrowed the field to one.

It was both for me. I needed and wanted a car with image, status and class, fast, comfortable high speed cruising and relaibaility. I also needed a car that didn't provoke cries of "we must be paying you too much!" from my clients as my Aston Martin did.

Just jealous really:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom