A beginer's digital SLR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
what would people suggest for a £400 budget ??

what would people suggest for a £400 budget ??

What do you think you want to do with it?

Eg.

is size/weight an issue?

do you have any existing lenses or access to any?

is video important?

what sort of photos do you want to use it for?

are you planning an upgrade in the future?

I have Lumix G1 and I'm not what you call a serious photographer.

The quality of image this camera produces is outstanding.

... and this is what can be done with a good camera and a bit of practice (brother in law's photo sets)

Flickr: ANKURSABS' Photostream

i guess i think you should buy the best camera you can possibly afford, and add on lenses etc as you feel more comfortable with it...

I hate subjective questions like this!

Best to take your £400 down to Comet/Dixon's/Jessop's/etc and try a few out. Whichever suits you best is the correct one to buy.

Just because I like a particular object doesn't mean that you will!

I hate subjective questions like this!

Best to take your £400 down to Comet/Dixon's/Jessop's/etc and try a few out. Whichever suits you best is the correct one to buy.

Just because I like a particular object doesn't mean that you will!

fair point - but the member is just asking for opinions from users/owners so he can go in with a rough idea of what might suit him - instead of going in blind and walking out with what a salesman wants him to buy...

OP: forgot to mention in my original reply - but you might find this site useful for reviews: Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

HTH

... and this is what can be done with a good camera and a bit of practice (brother in law's photo sets)

Flickr: ANKURSABS' Photostream

i guess i think you should buy the best camera you can possibly afford, and add on lenses etc as you feel more comfortable with it...

I've just came back from 3 weeks in Hong Kong! :) - some nice DOF shots there! :rock:

Both offerings from Canon and Nikon are capable, though you may want to consider the availability and cost of lenses, secondhand Canon lenses are more plentiful. Depending on what type of photography you want to do will determine what features are important to you.

The 500D, 550D models are physically smaller and you may want to perhaps consider a 40D or 50D which are semi pro models and a step up from the others with better functionality and handling. A visit to Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ will be worthwhile, they have reviews for all these cameras in the archives. I started with a 350D which I still have and use, and moved up to a 7D which is a fantastic camera, but outside your budget!

As others have said it really depends on what you want to do. As a general observation bear in mind that technology is moving really fast. A 2 year old didgital camera is completely obsolete. Don't buy an old high grade DSLR, the modern cheap version will outperform it.

Personally I use a Nikon and lack familiarity with Canon cameras. If you decide to go Nikon buy one of the newer generation cameras, D3, D700, D300, D90, D7000, D3100. I think Jessops have the D3100 on offer at the moment with the 18-55mm VR lens. It ought to do all you want it to do. What the cheaper versions, like the D3100 lack is the internal motor to auto focus older lenses. It will be an issue to those with some favourite older lenses. If you're starting fresh on a budget it doesn't matter.

Do try it before you buy though, these cameras are pretty small.

Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR Lens - Jessops - Digital SLRs

Last edited:
A 2 year old didgital camera is completely obsolete. Don't buy an old high grade DSLR, the modern cheap version will outperform it.

Completely disagree. Out-perform it in which context?

I have an old (1999 vintage) Olympus DSLR which still holds its own to this day. It's not ever about megapixel bragging rights. Quality optics will win every time. Admittedly it cost a (relative) fortune back in the day, but I say again - the quality of the optics counts above all else, and that quality does not diminish over time.

I'm with corned on this one.

I have a Nikon D70 and it's a great bit of kit.

No camera can replace a good eye and an understanding of the exposures required in the situation you want to record.

I'd find the one that fits your hand best and is the most comfortable to use. They'll all do more than you will probably need anyway.

Lumix for me if you're looking to buy into a system. Smaller, starting to be a good range of lenses, great optics from Panasonic and Olympus.

Completely disagree. Out-perform it in which context?

I have an old (1999 vintage) Olympus DSLR which still holds its own to this day. It's not ever about megapixel bragging rights. Quality optics will win every time. Admittedly it cost a (relative) fortune back in the day, but I say again - the quality of the optics counts above all else, and that quality does not diminish over time.

I didn't mention megapixels. New generations of DSLR are vastly better at processing the image, Nikon I believe calls it ADR. Compare the image an older camera can achieve when there is a big range of colour, or deep shadows to bright sun. The highlights are rendered far better.

People will still pay £400 for an old Nikon D70S and lens on Ebay when you can go out and buy a D3100 brand new from Jessops for £400. It doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my old D70S and it now has well over 30K shutter actuations. It makes decent pictures, but it simply isn't as good as it's younger siblings.

Why get hung up on how the camera processes the image? Get a decent one that shoots in RAW and process on computer. Optics are crucial not processing ability.

I do see your point. I know you didn't mention the megapixel thing yourself, but I know Joe Public seems to regard that as a benchmark, for reasons which I can't fathom!

I still maintain that quality optics should not require post-capture camera processing just to get the image to look realistic. But by the same token, I can't deny that CCD technology will undoubtably have improved in the last decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom