A big organ.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooh, that’s a lot of knobs (young man).

Cheers,

Gaz

I sang The Messiah next to it when I was a teenager.

Good lord, what a superb vibration, close up ?

(This kind of thing - but not the actual event - amazing feeling)

RCS%20MEssiah%202014%20b%20SMALL.jpg

Rumour has it that many years (decades) ago a certain group were doing a concert there, the leader was a highly trained pianist (the group's music used a lot of electric organ) who was instructed not to go near the Albie organ, but temptation became too much when they came to perform a signature tune of theirs - America - and he not only fired up and played the Albie organ, but also needed to hold a particular note for quite a time so held it down by stabbing his sheath knife through it! My memory is failing as I cannot remember the name of the group or the "organist"!!

That place has a special place in my heart, as it's where I was presented with my degree certificate after graduating from Royal School of Mines, Imperial College - just across the road! Nice to be able to put B.Sc(Hons), A.R.S.M. after my name on my businedss correspondance - which I seldom if ever did, as I swiftly found that those that put a load of letters after their name on their business cards tended to be over educated and under learnt!!:eek::eek:

Rumour has it that many years (decades) ago a certain group were doing a concert there, the leader was a highly trained pianist (the group's music used a lot of electric organ) who was instructed not to go near the Albie organ, but temptation became too much when they came to perform a signature tune of theirs - America - and he not only fired up and played the Albie organ, but also needed to hold a particular note for quite a time so held it down by stabbing his sheath knife through it! My memory is failing as I cannot remember the name of the group or the "organist"!!

That place has a special place in my heart, as it's where I was presented with my degree certificate after graduating from Royal School of Mines, Imperial College - just across the road! Nice to be able to put B.Sc(Hons), A.R.S.M. after my name on my businedss correspondance - which I seldom if ever did, as I swiftly found that those that put a load of letters after their name on their business cards tended to be over educated and under learnt!!:eek::eek:
Keith Emerson used to jam a knife between the keys to hold the note. Yes have a version of America in their back catalogue, but I don't know if Wakeman used the 'jam it with a knife' trick.

My memory is failing as I cannot remember the name of the group or the "organist"!!

My memory's failing too, but I do remember this.

The organist was probably/definitely Keith Emerson of the Nice, who later formed "supergroup" Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Keith Emerson's favourite trick was to stick a knife between the keys to hold the note down, while rocking the huge, heavy and battered Hammond organ backward & forwards. Thoise old Hammonds were tricky enough to keep working on the road without attacking them with cutlery!!

I saw the Nice at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester sometime in the late1960s. I don't remember all of the show as I fell asleep, despite the volume!

GeeJayW - Sorry about the duplicated info- I think we must have been typing at the same time.

Memory stirring - yes it was Keith Emerson of Nice, but digging further into the memory was it a concert at the Albie or at the big concert hall on the South Bank - I think it was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom