A bit if help on insurance please , big problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Den656

Car
C220 cdi
Hi all,this is a bit long winded so please bare with me , basically I had a passat , which served me well , then this year I have had two accidents,One in May,which involved a foreign lorry driver changing lanes and crunching my girlfriends car which I was driving at the time,and writing it off, then a second accident which involved yet another foreign lorry driver changing lanes and hitting my passat ,possibly writing that off too .
So basically I bit the bullet and bought myself a mercedes last week, and it came with the 7 day driveway insurance , I had done a few online quotes stating I had had the two accidents and both non fault, and I was getting quotes between 400-500. For comp insurance,all is good I thought , now here lies the rub , I rang adrian flux, my insurance currently who have quoted me 1700 which I said I will cancel,and go elsewhere! but according to them , until both my accidents are paid out,all signed for and ended,even though the other party has admitted liability I have no no claims at all , until it is all done! is this right ??? , as I have 15 odd years no claims!and a clean licence ,but obviously any quotes I. Do with no claims will be sky high, bit of help or advice please as I am totally hacked off, many thanks ,DEn .

In short, yes that is correct.

Until the accidents are fully resolved in your favour, they count as claims made against your policy and your NCB (given for not making a claim on your policy) will be reduced.

Whilst the other driver may have admitted the accident is their fault, your insurer won't consider the claim to have been resolved until they have been reimbursed all the money they have paid out and balanced the books.

I'd suggest talking to your existing insurance provider (the company, not the broker) to see if they can help. They might be willing to let you add the Merc to your existing policy on the basis that if they don't get the money back then your premium would go up.

It's not guaranteed that they would let you do this, but might be worth a try.

It depends :-

Until a claim has been fully settled and closed between the 2 insurance companies, you normally lose 2 years no claims bonus (for each open/fault claim) from the underwriters maximum.

This means that if your underwriter has a maximum of 4 years no claims bonus and you have 2 open/fault claims
within the policy year, then you would have Nil years bonus at the end of the policy year. The same applies if, after 2 open/fault claims you cancel your insurance policy and start a new policy.

If your under underwriter has a maximum of 6 years no claims bonus and you have 2 open/fault claims
within the policy year, then you would have 2 years bonus at the end of the policy year.

If you have the Protected No Claims bonus on your policy then you should still have some no claims bonus, but this will also vary dependant on the underwriter.

When you had the accident while driving your girlfriends car, did you claim through your insurance or through her insurance?
If it was through her insurance, then your no claims bonus should not be affected.

If you have any specific questions, just reply to this thread.

In the meanwhile, I do hope that you are enjoying the new car.

Well,thanks for the replies guys,after a total pain in the a afternoon,all is resolved,luckily in my favour, in both circumstances, I didn't claim off my insurance,instead I notified them, then let them handle everything,although I had loss of earning,and had to pay for the car to be recovered, I have not actually claimed anything off them,so having had a few long conversations with the company, not the middlemen, seeing as I have not claimed, even though it isn't resolved, they were happy to close the claims,and put them as finished,as I was not claiming from them,so straight off to the asda website,and now my fully comp for the year is a booming £400 , result, and it am loving the car cheers rayny, great being idle and not using gearshift lol, popped it to wdm in perry Barr who gave it the once over, and plugged it into their star machine,and have pronounced all is good, and I know where I will be going for servicing as could not fault how helpful they were,so all in,a good result ,happy .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom