A bit of PHP help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm working on my site, and I've decided to redesign the backend so I can upload images remotely...

I've also fiddled with the format, so in essence I want to be able to edit some basic components without using dreamweaver...

Anyhow, I've made a file "database.php" with my database details, so that throughout the site I can just call that...

PHP:
<?php
$DEBUG = true;

$db_name = "dbname";
$db_server = "localhost";
$db_user = "dbuser";
$db_pass = "dbpassword";

//$db_table   = "photos";
//$another_table  ="some_other_table"; 
//...etc (not yet implemented for more than one table)

function runQuery($q) {
	//if ($DEBUG){
	echo "($db_server, $db_user, $db_pass)";
	//}

$link = mysql_connect($db_server, $db_user, $db_pass);
	@mysql_select_db($db_name) or die( "Unable to select database");
	mysql_query($q);
	mysql_close();
}
?>

This way, anywhere I need to run a query, I should be able to do this:
PHP:
require 'database.php';
$query = "DROP TABLE photos";
runQuery($query);

right?

Now comes the part that I don't understand... See that echo statement (where I've commented out the if($DEBUG)?) - that shows me that all those variables are BLANK.... NULL... and I can't figure out why! Surely, as I've defined them as global variables three lines above they should still be instantiated?

M.

Scope issue - those variables are only global within the PHP file, not the local scope of the function, global declaration needed in the function - as example 3 here.

Scope issue - those variables are only global within the PHP file, not the local scope of the function, global declaration needed in the function - as example 3 here.

Thanks!

I thought it as a scope issue... but didn't know I could override the local variables with "pseudo"-globals (not really global if they can't be seen from within a function in the same file, now are they? :p)

Will try as soon as dreamweaver boots up...

Thanks again!
M.

EDIT: Yups - that sorted it! (I've decided that I didn't really have a need to have those variables as global, so I just moved them into the function...)

For some odd reason, I thought that PHP acted like Java and just saw all the global variables, but allowed you to override them within functions... live and learn :)

Thanks again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom