A Bit Of Swedish Cool I Reckon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Needs must I'm afraid - my 700+ AMG days are over for a while.

Out of interest, how is the wannabe V6 in the SL - was the V8 a bit much now you've "retired"?

Touché
:):):):):):D:D:D:D:Drofl

Last edited by a moderator:
......... are you sure it was a V90 - they are very low, so towering over a C Class would be tricky - an SUV perhaps?

It must have been an SUV - I only saw it from the front and didn't see any identifying badges - though the front end & grille looked the same as yours. From my driver's seat I could barely see the top of the bonnet. If your V90 is an estate car then I hold my hand up. Haven't seen a V90 in the flesh yet.

Needs must I'm afraid - my 700+ AMG days are over for a while.

Out of interest, how is the wannabe V6 in the SL - was the V8 a bit much now you've "retired"?
You’ve been missed on here John...:D

You’ve been missed on here John...:D
On that GS Forum I mentioned, I'd have threatened to kill his mother and he's be threatening to publish the photos he'd got of my wife with entire local rugby club - MBClub UK is all sweetness and light compared to that place :eek::D

Reactions: HB
On that GS Forum I mentioned, I'd have threatened to kill his mother and he's be threatening to publish the photos he'd got of my wife with entire local rugby club - MBClub UK is all sweetness and light compared to that place :eek::D

Oh just F*#k right off!!!

:D

......... are you sure it was a V90 - they are very low, so towering over a C Class would be tricky - an SUV perhaps?

It must have been an SUV - I only saw it from the front and didn't see any identifying badges - though the front end & grille looked the same as yours. From my driver's seat I could barely see the top of the bonnet. If your V90 is an estate car then I hold my hand up. Haven't seen a V90 in the flesh yet.

It does sound like an SUV - not my cup of tea - the front end is very corporate these days, Thor's Hammer driving lights and all that. Not seeing one is part of the attraction for me and when you do see one there's a 95% chance it will be a D4 (Aldi) - mine's a D5 (the M&S variety if you like) :D

So, a few days in and here are my thoughts:

In my eyes, it's beautiful - I didn't really want the 20" wheels (but they are standard on a 19MY Inscription Pro), having not had to dodge potholes for three years, but they fill the arches so well I'm prepared to put up with them. They just give it balance, as it's a really long low car, and the ride is pretty good on Comfort and reasonable in Dynamic.

It's clearly a four pot - not noticeable at idle or at speed, but under acceleration it's quite coarse, but as the more powerful D5 it's got a lovely mid range shove. Off the line it's rather good too - a bit "grabby" but that may be me needing to get used to the 4WD. I've read the Volvo blurb about the 4 pot and they claim that larger V6's were discounted as they aren't efficient enough to fit the latest Volvo ethos - who knows? Clearly things are changing - my lad's 1.2 3cyl petrol Peugeot makes the wife's 2.0L petrol Focus feel archaic.

It's packed with tech, and at first I thought safety leading Volvo had lost the plot because there are virtually no buttons, just a large portrait iPad type screen, meaning you have to take your eyes off the road to tap the commands, but (and what I think the road testers miss) is that the voice control is comprehensive - if you want to temperature up or down you just ask. The same with seat heater, air distribution to screen, body or face, stop start on/off, and various driver aids, along with the usual media, nav stuff - just ask.

Economy - don't know/don't care.

Carrying capacity in the rear - it's longer and wider than my Superb at floor level (95% of my needs), with the stylish rear rake only compromising the capacity now and again.

As a V90 it's rare (comparatively speaking), and as a D5 V90 it's rarer still - right up my street.

I travelled nearly 4 hours to see/drive this particular car (Volvo Selekt) - the right colour, with the pano roof and the right engine/4WD, so for me it was time well spent. 9 months old and £22.5K off retail, it's a lot of car for the money too.

Just gotta hope the feckers don't want to steal it - it's not exactly an "on the radar" car, hopefully (though those wheels do make it stand out).

So far, so good.volvodrive.JPG

Really?:eek:

c£54k down to c£32k in nine months? Dearie me - they don't tell you that in the brochures!

I do have a hankering for the 280bhp petrol 4WD Superb. Is the Volvo really 25% better?

It's all relative - I bought my E63S at 9 months old, by which time it had lost £35K (though people don't pay quoted retail for cars).

Re the Skoda - mine was great, but Euro 5, so needed to go due to our impending clean air zone.
What I found was that prices for 18/68/19 plate Superb's weren't much below the equivalent age V90's and while the Skoda's are impressive, they are more basic than the Volvo, though a 280bhp petrol would be a hoot.

Out of interest, my local dealer has delivery mileage 19 plate V90 R Designs at £25.5K, but they lack the spec I need.

Like the colour John. My Passat GT Estate is only a tad smaller than the superb, but it carries my scooter half folded, with the back seat still in place, saving me a lot of effort.

Lovely looking car John. Better luck with the ownership of this one:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom