A Bit Of Swedish Cool I Reckon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That looks like Guy Martin's one kept at my local car museum.

Nah, my dad had a few Volvos (144 & 164s). No denying they are good cars but.....When I see them I think of the smell of pipe or cigar smoke and old men.

However, my wife is quite keen on a Volvo so who knows what lies in the future.

Much as I admire these big Volvo estates it is slightly disconcerting that as their bodies get bigger their engines seem to get smaller with every new model iteration!:confused:

I've had four Volvos in my time, a 240 estate, two 3 series and the latest an XC60 which for a two tonner went like the proverbial from a shovel.
Current car is a VW passat estate GT DSG which is quite cavernous but not as large as the V90. Enjoy your new car John.

Nah, my dad had a few Volvos (144 & 164s). No denying they are good cars but.....When I see them I think of the smell of pipe or cigar smoke and old men.

Thanks - obviously I'll sell it immediately :D

Had 3 of these Volvos and on the look out for another one .

I waited until the right spec D5 came along. There were some great deals on delivery mileage R Design cars, but they didn't have the spec I wanted.

Much as I admire these big Volvo estates it is slightly disconcerting that as their bodies get bigger their engines seem to get smaller with every new model iteration!:confused:
Agreed - I'd have liked a V6 diesel but it's not the Volvo way, apparently. The D5 is quite a unit though, for a 4 pot.

Small is the new way it seems - 1.0 units in Mondeos and my lad's quite large Peugeot 308 runs with a 1.2 3 cyl petrol

Agreed - I'd have liked a V6 diesel but it's not the Volvo way, apparently. The D5 is quite a unit though, for a 4 pot.

Small is the new way it seems - 1.0 units in Mondeos and my lad's quite large Peugeot 308 runs with a 1.2 3 cyl petrol

Probably the biggest reason I bought my BM at the end of last year. Realistically, we'll never see a Focus-sized hatchback with a 3 litre 6 pot under the bonnet again. It's a damn shame IMO, but times change.

Cheers,

Gaz

I like it! Good choice. We pulled the trigger on an A6 Avant last year having toyed with the usual culprits. We made the wrong choice. I’ve never loved a car less than this A6!

Will definitely be looking at Volvo when we replace it in a few years.

It would be great to catch up, enjoy your new ride John :)

Assume people like me are considering reverting now that the design has evolved. Came so close to buying a S90 a couple of years ago as my commuter car but the current diesel engines did not tick-the-box. E Class still wins in my opinion.

(My Volvo history: 140, 240, 740/760. 850, S60, C70, V70 across all three generations including breathed upon D5s and T5s. Never ran any true "R", both the T6 and V8 promised much but a big let down).

Personally, think that any and everyone should come to meets in whatever they ride/drive and be welcome.

So after the Merc was nicked I spent a while in a Skoda - a bit of a knee jerk to avoid us jumping up at every noise outside, as I figured the bad guys wouldn't smash my front door down to get to it, however, 3 years later and having been legislated out of our clean air city because it's Euro 5, the Skoda needed to go.
Choices were limited - large, stylish, not German - really there was only one choice, so today I did the deal on this...
Very well specced, as an Inscription Pro, D5 with AWD, and chosen partly because it's very close to the Teallite Blue of my first S211.
I'm thinking I may return to the odd MB Club meet in it, like Peter did in his Lexus :cool:
View attachment 93155 View attachment 93156

Parked my C-class estate in the supermarket car park last week, then returned with my shopping. Sat in the driver's seat, looked up - to have the front end of one of these towering over me. Good heavens - what is that ugly slab-fronted monstrosity? Sad to say, it was one of what you apparently have just acquired. Sorry if that offends, but it's not for me, I'm afraid. Eye of the beholder and all that.

I went to collect a T5 XC60 last Summer but the service history was wrong so I walked.

In a way I'm glad, I can see my next car being a SUV but prefer more than 4 cylinders and petrol.

Looks nice John.

I do like the newer round of Geely Volvos - especially the looks of the recent XC60 and XC90.

I went to collect a T5 XC60 last Summer but the service history was wrong so I walked.

In a way I'm glad, I can see my next car being a SUV but prefer more than 4 cylinders and petrol.
We had a new XC90 for the past two years. Stunning car, but drove like a slow drunk man. The auto pilot was awful.

The engine was astonishing for the capacity, but the wife's happy to be back in a 3.0 twin turbo straight 6 that handles.

Parked my C-class estate in the supermarket car park last week, then returned with my shopping. Sat in the driver's seat, looked up - to have the front end of one of these towering over me. Good heavens - what is that ugly slab-fronted monstrosity? Sad to say, it was one of what you apparently have just acquired. Sorry if that offends, but it's not for me, I'm afraid. Eye of the beholder and all that.

None taken - as I'm adult, though are you sure it was a V90 - they are very low, so towering over a C Class would be tricky - an SUV perhaps?

Or drive an "old man's car" :)

Needs must I'm afraid - my 700+ AMG days are over for a while.

Out of interest, how is the wannabe V6 in the SL - was the V8 a bit much now you've "retired"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom