A broken white line...

A broken white line:

• marks the centre of the road. When the line lengthens and the gaps shorten there is a hazard ahead.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • marks the centre of the road. When the line shortens and the gaps lengthens there is a hazard ahead.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • marks the centre of the road. The line lengh is 1.5m on >60mph roads, 1m <60mph

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great idea this to help us all brush up on the code. Give us more! (like not using foglights unless it is foggy -my pet hate and a growing problem).

OK, I'll give you a couple.

1/ Can you ever overtake on zig zag lines?

2/ Can you ever overtake on solid white lines?

No looking it up now, until you have answered.......

my stab in the dark

1. yes
2. yes

1. Not sure but probably yes, although I cannot think of an occasion other than if directed by a Police officer.

2. Yes. To pass a vehicle doing (I think) less than 4 mph if safe to do so, or to avoid an accident.

It's back down to 1 in 4...

I didn't think that the Hefalump trap (option 3) would catch so many out!

Jumbobeef:

1) Erm... Yes, but only if directed to do so by a PO
2) No

Last edited:
The answer is yes to both (without direction from the police) in certain situations.

But can anyone say when you can...............?

When no-one is looking? :p

Vehicle in front is broken down.

if its safe to go for it, i go and thats the long and short of it:devil:

You can and do cross solid white lines. When there is a double white line -one solid and one broken on your side you can cross both if clear ahead to overtake etc.

In that situation you are technically only crossing the dotted line not the solid one - the solid one relates to the other lane.

However, as others have pointed out you can cross a solid white (even double) in certain circs - I can't remember all the details but it's something to do with the vehicle you are passing doing less than 15mph, but there's a wrinkle about the type of vehicle.

And the answers are?

Zig zags:

You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

Pedestrian crossings (191-199) : Directgov - Travel and transport

...so you can overtake all but the leading car.

White lines:
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road.You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Lines and lane markings on the road (127-132) : Directgov - Travel and transport

...so a biker can cross a solid white line to overtake all vehicles waiting at traffic lights................? discuss :D

Zig zags:

Pedestrian crossings (191-199) : Directgov - Travel and transport

...so you can overtake all but the leading car.

As this is a Mercedes forum, I cannot visualise any situation where a car can overtake all but the leading car. A motorcycle or bicycle may be allowed though.

White lines:

Lines and lane markings on the road (127-132) : Directgov - Travel and transport

...so a biker can cross a solid white line to overtake all vehicles waiting at traffic lights................? discuss :D

Cannot find any reference to bikers being allowed to cross solid white lines, when illegal for other vehicles.

Zig zags:

Think about a pedestrian crossing on a dual carriageway with two (or more) lanes in each direction.

Cannot find any reference to bikers being allowed to cross solid white lines, when illegal for other vehicles.
Where did I say 'when illegal for other vehicles'? :confused:

I mentioned bikes because bikes do this often, but cars can, according to the Highway Code, do it too.

You come up to a set of lights, they are on red. There is a long line of traffic waiting at the lights, and solid white lines on the road. You want to turn right, and there is a right turn only lane ahead, but you cannot get to it except by crossing the white line (or by waiting in line). Accroding to the Highway Code, you can legally cross that white line, overtake all the traffic to get to the right turn only lane.

But would you do it....?

You come up to a set of lights, they are on red. There is a long line of traffic waiting at the lights, and solid white lines on the road. You want to turn right, and there is a right turn only lane ahead, but you cannot get to it except by crossing the white line (or by waiting in line). Accroding to the Highway Code, you can legally cross that white line, overtake all the traffic to get to the right turn only lane.

But would you do it....?

No, because I don't think that is what the statute says. It says that you must not cross the solid white line "if it is safe to do so and if necessary to do so -

(a) to enable the vehicle to enter, from the side of the road on which it is proceeding, land or premises adjacent to the length of road on which the line is placed, or another road joining that road;" (The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002)

It's not necessary to overtake a line of traffic at the lights to enter. It also says "to enable"; if it didn't, the law would not allow for a driver to turn right into a premises or side road across a solid white line under any circumstance.

But this is, of course, only my opinion... I sometimes find that the Highway Code can be ambiguous in what it says, which is why it always (were relevent) lists the appropriate statute.

Zig zags:

Think about a pedestrian crossing on a dual carriageway with two (or more) lanes in each direction.

Yes you are right if there are two lanes (or more) of traffic, it also means you can undertake on zig zags as well.

Where did I say 'when illegal for other vehicles'? :confused:

You didn't, I did because you said a biker could cross a solid white line etc. which implied other vehicles could not.

I mentioned bikes because bikes do this often, but cars can, according to the Highway Code, do it too.

But would you do it....?

No I would not because the Highway Code does not say you can. Being able to cross a solid white line to gain access to a side street or premises, does not allow you to cross the white line to turn right 50 metres further up the road.

Great thread this.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom