A/C light on or off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
I have a B Class loan car for a while and the A/C seems to be "colder" when the A/C light is on and glowing RED. Why did I think having this button "on" meant the A/C was off?

Are all Mercs the same becasue I am sure in my E class dpressing the button so that it lights actually turns off the A/C.

Thanks

On a B class, the button is marked 'a/c'; the light on means the a/c is on. On my C-class, pressing the 'a/c off' button lights up the LED & turns off the a/c!

I have a B Class loan car for a while and the A/C seems to be "colder" when the A/C light is on and glowing RED. Why did I think having this button "on" meant the A/C was off?

Are all Mercs the same becasue I am sure in my E class dpressing the button so that it lights actually turns off the A/C.

Thanks

I think the whole logic surrounding the LED and what it indicates changed a couple of build years ago.

The LED used to glow when the A/C was off letting you know that misting up could occur and that you should use it now and again to avoid the seals drying out.

The LED's now glow to to let you know you are using your awful fuel consuming A/C, getting 0.25 miles less MPG than you were and, that you are a very nasty person with no consideration for the planet.

The change was politically, (environmentally) driven. Or so I'm told?

Portzy.

I think the whole logic surrounding the LED and what it indicates changed a couple of build years ago.

The LED used to glow when the A/C was off letting you know that misting up could occur and that you should use it now and again to avoid the seals drying out.

The LED's now glow to to let you know you are using your awful fuel consuming A/C, getting 0.25 miles less MPG than you were and, that you are a very nasty person with no consideration for the planet.

Portzy.

My answer kinda follows this, on the E Class, w210's anyway, the button is marked up as EC, and I was told it stands for 'economy'. I.E. air con off, so you get hot and sweaty but you single handiley save the planet:devil:

Light on in a button = that function is activated.

A/C stands for air-conditioning obviously, so button active = aircon on = colder air.

These are typically systems with standard heating/ventilation systems with added aircon function.

The more sophisticated climate control systems as you'll find them on the models higher up in the line-up have the compressor engaged by default. They have a button labelled EC for "Economy".

EC button active = economy = compressor disengaged
= no cooling of the air.

Thanks everyone.

For a dreadful moment I thought I had been running my E270cdi with the aircon left "off" for the past 6 years :D

i had the same query as well..whether my c class AC off button was whether on with light or off with light..ask merc and they are confused when the different models do different things..and each say one thing or the other..
why not just have green for on and red for off..simple..either way, you get the bling bling lights on the panel..

Light on in a button = that function is activated.

A/C stands for air-conditioning obviously, so button active = aircon on = colder air.

These are typically systems with standard heating/ventilation systems with added aircon function.

The more sophisticated climate control systems as you'll find them on the models higher up in the line-up have the compressor engaged by default. They have a button labelled EC for "Economy".

EC button active = economy = compressor disengaged
= no cooling of the air.

Yup, spot on.

Just to add that on my Vito the button activates the "AC Off" function.

So light on means AC Off is on i.e. AC is off :D

Or Residual heat mode, if the ignition is off :)

Red LED Light on = Climate Control on

However, Red LED on = A/C off (on the seperate A/C button)

:confused:

pre facelift 04 W203 with "thermatic" unit (its the middle of the range system I think)

Its in the book - I was looking how to remove and clean bits only last night and found that

Unless I am wrong of course

Red LED Light on = Climate Control on

However, Red LED on = A/C off (on the seperate A/C button)

That's how it is on my post facelift W203.

It kind of makes sense that the red warning would show when the a/c is off, but it's ridiculous that if you have the climate on Auto (as I assume most people would) then a red lamp shows all the time, as if there's something wrong.

Hi All,

I have a Merc 350 SL 2004. When the light on the A/C switch is on does this mean that the A/C is on or off?

Also are the plastic strips on either side of the rear window removable?

Pete

Display logic of function LED in the AC button (7)
For vehicles up to 31.5.05, the function LED is off when the refrigerant compressor is on.
For vehicles as of 1.6.05, the function LED is on when the refrigerant compressor is on.

I have recently got a 2003 W211 E200 and the light is constantly on and when I switch it off it comes back on again

I have recently got a 2003 W211 E200 and the light is constantly on and when I switch it off it comes back on again
Your car is old school, when the light is on ac is off . If its constantly going to red the system has issues and is turning itself off .

Portzy.
My sister drives with all her windows open because the ac uses to much petrol......... o_O

Your car is old school, when the light is on ac is off . If its constantly going to red the system has issues and is turning itself off .
Thank you very much, the light is constantly going to red, does that mean I need to have the gas recharged?

Thank you very much, the light is constantly going to red, does that mean I need to have the gas recharged?
Possibly , but more than likely . It will also require the fault codes removed before the ac will work , even after a regass.

It will be nice when its hot enough to put the ac on all the time to cool down.

It will be nice when its hot enough to put the ac on all the time to cool down.
Your AC should be on all the time anyway. I never turn mine off no matter what the time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom