A Century of Supercars

Your choice for supercar of the century

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tough one, between the Countach, P1 and the Gull-wing, however I had a 2metre longer poster of a black Countach on my wall as a kid so it wins.

+ Think about it, it comes down to this.

A random person walks up to you in the street and asks "what's a supercar?"

1st thing you say? Lamborghini

Last edited:
The Porsche 959. No comparison.

Yes it might be technically brilliant, but your missing the point of a supercar which it is not. To Jo public it's just a Porsche.

Id never consider a 911 (it's essentially for arguments sake one) a supercar, too standard and not dramatic enough.

Yes it might be technically brilliant, but your missing the point of a supercar which it is not. To Jo public it's just a Porsche.

Id never consider a 911 (it's essentially for arguments sake one) a supercar, too standard and not dramatic enough.
I agree Karl, it doesn't have the look as don't modern day 911s but , being fortunate to experience the 959 , it's a god dam supercar and then some !

Only one for me. Ferrari 250 GT lusso.
1280px-Ferrari_250_GT_Lusso_Berlinetta.jpg

Well I get countach. Really do. But the f1 just added so much finesse and clear thinking when everyone else was just chucking more at a supercar. I mean, gold lined engine bay, specially designed hi-fi to save weight. Murray at his greatest. And one extra seat so you can get home and enjoy a menage a trois. Perfect.

Countachs are pigs to drive, especially below about 90.

I'm one of the shallow members here. Never been into old classics. For me modern always wins so it's the McLaren P1.

Now this is tough.

The Muira was supercar genesis, it was the car that started it all, and despite being designed like an aeroplane wing and wanting to take off at not much over 90mph, it is simply beautiful to behold. Even against today's cars it's just a work of art.

I would have an F40 at the drop of a hat though, it is a 201mph go kart held together with green bathroom sealant and has string pulls to open the doors, a furry dash and no radio. It was built to do one thing and absolutely nothing else. Every Ferrari since has contained some of it's DNA.

The Mclaren F1 was a genuine game changer in the same way the P1 has moved it on again.

There is just something so raw and mechanical about the F40 though, no traction control, no driver aids, no flappy paddles, just a steering wheel, a gearstick and three pedals, turbos the size of buckets with horrendous lag as they spool up and the rest is up to you.

So for me that's it. It would have to be an F40, preferably an F40LM spec please, one of 17 with between 850hp to 900hp.

Ferrari-F40-LM-15.jpg

Last edited:

I'd have added the Carrera GT to this list but not the 959 which was built to compete in Group B rallying (if I remember correctly) but was finished after the formula was banned for becoming too insane.

I remember watching a 750hp SWB Audi Quattro Sport GpB climb the hill at Goodwood faster than an F1 car at the time, at no point in the entire climb was the Audi pointing in a straight line. It had so much power it was simply a controlled power slide all the way up.

Last edited:
Countachs are pigs to drive, especially below about 90.

A supercar isn't about how it drives, or track times. Noone would ever seriously race a road version

A supercar is an event, a car that stops you in your track, somthing so extreme kids have them on their walls. Countach is well known to be a pig to drive, that's not what it's about.

Also, the Gull-wing is meant to be awful to drive also with no brakes

This is just so beautiful though, designed to do nothing other than look good and go fast. Plus the louvres that project up for the rear edge of the door are there to do nothing other than look like bulls horns from the front when both doors are opened. That's what a super car is about, an event.

1971-1972-lamborghini-miura-p400-sv-757_5680_969X727.jpg

I have a soft spot for these.

Lancia-Stratos-HF.jpg

I'd have added the Carrera GT to this list but not the 959 which was built to compete in Group B rallying (if I remember correctly) but was finished after the formula was banned for becoming too insane.

I remember watching a 750hp SWB Audi Quattro Sport GpB climb the hill at Goodwood faster than an F1 car at the time, at no point in the entire climb was the Audi pointing in a straight line. It had so much power it was simply a controlled power slide all the way up.

IMHO the carrera gt did little to move the game anywhere. The 959 on the other hand was an amazing counterpoint to the f40 and 288 gto (must be my all time favourute looker). It really moved the technological era miles ahead for road cars.

Really we should have had vote threads for each decade then this as the finale! would then allow people some of their weird favourites!

I think this vote is all about when you grew up. Supercars are irrational and when you are a small boy or girl, that's how you think

Therefore for me it's the F40, poster car for when I grew up and looks like the definitive supercar shape even now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom