A class 210 rear screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wraggy

Car
MERCEDES A210 EVOLUTION AMG
Hi,Just had my rear window on my a 210 evolution replaced today the only trouble is some broken glass has gone between the 2 skins and each time i open and shut my boot you can hear all the glass the man from auto windscreens says there is nothing that can be done,
After speaking to Mercedes they said you can squeeze glue in threw the holes in the bottom of the boot or drill holes in the bottom to let the glass out

Any other tips on how to solve the problem

Thanks

Wraggy

It's between the skins.

There wasn't broken glass between the skins before windscreen repair man started was there ?

If there wasn't , then it's down to them to sort it i'm afraid.

Would they say the same thing if it was a hundred grand car ? 'Sorry , nothing we can do ! '

I would politely suggest to them that they seek a way to remedy the situation , if it goes as far as needing a new rear door , so be it.

Dont think you can get to the glass between the skins or auto windscreens would have done this and mercedes would have told me to do this

That's simply unacceptable, its their problem, tell them politely :)

Thanks i will call them tomorrow,
Also there are 2 AMG spoiler bits that fit on the side of the rear window and after taking them off they have took them away to see if they can get them sprayed after damaging them taking them off
I called mercedes and these cost £252 each

That's simply unacceptable, its their problem, tell them politely :)

How is it the glass companies problem?

If glass has fallen into the void when it broke, there's not much they can do about it, the insurance company are unlikely to pay for a new tailgate...

If glass has fallen into the void when it broke, there's not much they can do about it, the insurance company are unlikely to pay for a new tailgate...

the glass was not broken they broke it to get it out i only had a new rear screen put in because there was scratches on it

You'd accept your tailgate rattling like a babys rattle every time you opened it ?

If they broke it and caused the glass to fall into the void , they need to fix it.

If it can't be got out , what other solution is there other than a new tailgate to stop the rattling ? barring stupid ideas of pumping glue into the void ?!?

Quite obvious Nick assumed the screen had broken and glass fell into the void when it broke and that is why it was replaced.

Had a rear quarter light badly scratched on a V70 after some scrote had tried to get in (sadly he succeeded as the rear tailgate glass put up less of a fight).

There was a trim piece to the top of the glass that Autoglass might have broken, but certainly did not go back on properly.

Direct Line originally took the view that this was a 'body claim' so the higher excess. Once the windscreen fitter confirmed that he could not fit the window properly without it, they backed down.

Having said that I can't believe the installers have not come across this problem before and found a different solution...

Having said that I can't believe the installers have not come across this problem before and found a different solution...

If Mercedes have a 168 that needs a new tailgate and the glass is fine, they just fit a new screen, as the screens are so hard to get out.

Been it touch with the head office,
They have sent the 2 mouldings to there body shop and they are collecting my car next Thursday and taking it to there branch to try and get the glass out,
They said they wont do it before next Thursday because the glue needs time to bond ? so how come i can drive 6 hours after the bodge job and they wont be taking the glass out
If they do pump it with glue wont this put extra weight on the tailgate struts ?

I'd be wanting to watch them to see what they are going to do ... ;)

Since the glass pieces found a way in , they ought equally to find a way out .

I'd have thought a good place to start would be with compressed air and/or vacuum through the various orifices .

Sort of 'blow it out of your rear end' .

A remaining option would be to remove the tailgate , turn it upside down and shake it until all the pieces fall out .

Drilling holes to let them fall out the bottom is the easiest but least desirable option - if you would not be happy for them to do this , make it abundantly clear in writing that you forbid this course of action before they take your car away .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom