A class buying guide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmaoahthfte

Car
W220 320CDI Previously W210 220 CDI, W202 C200T KOMPRESSOR
Hi all, my youngest daughter has decided she would like an A class after managing to turn the engine in her little Hyundia into a lump of molten slag.. Reading about the A class on here doesn't fill me with confidence though, especially as she is talking about buying one of the early cars. Is there a guide anywhere that would list what to look for when buying? or your thoughts would be appreciated obviously.

Bob

As you have read the W168 first generation have many problems so you are better of with the second generation W169 2005>.

If it has to be a W168 go for a manual as the auto boxes are problematic. The best site for info on the W168 is the below, it also has info on what to look out for when buying one.

Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage

Thanks guys, as I thought really. I'll let my youngest read and digest that info and hopefully she'll be put off. Going to look at a low mileage s reg Polo tomorrow that will probably be a better bet.

Bob

Just beware of the camblet change VWs need. Check it has been done / when the enxt one is due as it is not cheap.

Just beware of the camblet change VWs need. Check it has been done / when the enxt one is due as it is not cheap.

Will do, I'm about to trawl the web for VW foibles, wish me luck!

Polo cambelts are easy to do, and cheap.They do eat front wheel bearings though, and door locks/handles- watch for noisy gearboxes/diffs. seem common for these to go.. 1.4 is the best bet- cheap tax,economical and a good one will drive nicely. Don't forget the Seat Ibiza/cordoba is the same car...

Face lifted A class W168 are fine.

Go for the CDI LWB in a manual gearbox and yo cant go wrong at all.

Had our facelifed A168 for over 3yrs and 30K miles and no issues to write home about.

Great car (its a LWB manual..)

When did the A168 receive a facelift ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom