A Class farting noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salman1997

Car
A Class
Hi guys I have had a 68 reg A200 for nearly a month now, on the day the car came I heard some strange noises almost as if the cars farting! now its come back again, its usually and off. A mercedes STAR expert came to my house to diagnose and still found no issues but this doesnt sound normal? Here is the video of the sound:

Video 1 Youtube
Video 2 Youtube

At a guess id say , flap motors and their operation. Does it make this noise when you adjust the airflow directions?

Where about is the noise coming from

Unless bought privately, take it back to the dealer?

You sure you didn't have a curry the night before you took that video?

I think you need to work on a process of elimination.. Under what conditions does it make the noise? engine on/off, while steering? going straight on? moving on the seat. is anybody else in the car? Is it the air con or blower / fans making the noise? radio on/off? try to listen for a rough direction its coming from.

I had this same noise on 2018 A200 1.3, did it every time I put it in the garage, didn't keep it long enough to look into what it could be, noise was coming from passenger foot well, just assumed it was the electrics switching off

I had this same noise on 2018 A200 1.3, did it every time I put it in the garage, didn't keep it long enough to look into what it could be, noise was coming from passenger foot well, just assumed it was the electrics switching off
I had the same so just stopped putting it in the garage.

Sounds like one (unlikely to be more) of the dash/blower/blend flaps that are motor controlled and hidden within the dash.
As to which one, you will have a better chance of guessing than me, by trying to identify exactly which area of the dash/footwell the noise is coming from the loudest.
If this is the case, centre dash/footwell trim/glovebox out etc disassembly is probably required to get to the offending area and replace/lubricate the phantom raspberry blower.

I have a 2018 A180d that does the same thing when the engine is turned off after the air con has been on, it sounds like flaps trying to close behind the main 3 blowers in the centre - have you been able to figure out what's going on at all?

I have a 2018 A180d that does the same thing when the engine is turned off after the air con has been on, it sounds like flaps trying to close behind the main 3 blowers in the centre - have you been able to figure out what's going on at all?
This will be the cabin air recirculation panel/flap moving to it's set open (or maybe closed) rest position. You might be able to get it to repeat with ignition in Position 2, and using the recirc button on the dash? Nothing to worry about it it's that, all cars should do it (just not loudly).

Feed the car some charcoal biscuits... 😀

Seriously, though, it sounds like a flap moving to me too. Offputting for passengers, perhaps, but unless and until the flap seizes (if it does) it won't affect the heating and ventilation. It's up to you whether it bothers you enough to try to get it sorted.

Does it go away when the wife's not in the passenger seat?

Hi guys I have had a 68 reg A200 for nearly a month now, on the day the car came I heard some strange noises almost as if the cars farting! now its come back again, its usually and off. A mercedes STAR expert came to my house to diagnose and still found no issues but this doesnt sound normal? Here is the video of the sound:

Video 1 Youtube
Video 2 Youtube
I'm having the same issue with my A class 180d 19 plate. The sounds goes on for like 5 minutes, sometimes as soon as I unlock the car and sometimes when I turn the engine off. The garage are saying its normal :/

Had the same now and again on my Skoda superb, they have an automatic system for closing the outside air flow in the presence of exhaust fumes such as traffic jams etc but also did it when you reversed or washed the windscreen to prevent odours, it did the same thing for 5000ish miles and then stopped so I assume it may have been a tight flap (ooerr) that just bedded itself in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom