A Class & HUD Option

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyBravo21, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

1. JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    Hi to all!

I just joined the forums looking for info on the new A Class hatchback.

I am looking to buy new either from a Mercedes dealer or via Drive the Deal brokers but I am being told that the earliest date I could take delivery of my car will be mid January next year. Using a broker could save me around £5k which would be a great saving.

I have two questions for the established or new members here:-

1, Will the UK version be available with the option of HUD?
    2, Has anyone had any experience of using the broker 'Drive The Deal'?

I understand that the vast majority of the cars ordered will have the same spec but I want mine to be a little different to help retain it's value.
    I have looked on various Mercedes websites but cannot get a definitive answer on the HUD option.

The spec I am going to order is as follows:-

MERCEDES-BENZ A CLASS HATCHBACK A250 4Matic AMG Line Premium Plus 5dr Auto
    Polar White,
    Dinamica microfibre trim in black,
    Hard-disk navigation,
    Dual bluetooth interface 2 USB ports (type C)
    Light aluminium with longitudinal grain interior trim
    Advanced navigation pack - A Class
    Smartphone connect pack - A Class
    Panoramic Electric Sunroof, Electric Memory Seats.
    MBUX Infotainment System.

Thanks!

JB :)

2. JBD

JBD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C Class and ND MX5 Sport Recaro
    HUD is only available on the a35 and isn’t expected to be available on any non AMG models. It’s a move that’s been across the whole MB range in the last year or so

If you definitely want a 250, you’ll have to do without the HUD. In my experience, it’s not really a big benefit over the MBUX systems anyway, there’s enough going on!

Gene likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    Thanks very much for your answer!

Now I know that I don't need to wait a month or so for it to become available and I can order very soon :)

Cheers!

4. MrRight

MrRight Active Member

Car:
    S205 C63s Estate, prev 2017 GLA 45. 2nd car smart forfour brabus sport
    great choice of vehicle, the new A class is a technological marvel .

in terms of your second point, I've used brokers quite a lot and on the last 3 cars ,.I used carwow to give me an indication of just how much discount dealers are willing to give. not sure if you've used it before but I like it a lot because I configure the car and then different dealers around the UK price it.you then get in touch with whichever dealer you like out of the list and take it from there . I got gbp15k off my c63 wagon...

5. wivenhoe

wivenhoe Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350e
    I have used the DriveTheDeal price to achieve a similar deal from a local main dealer - the last 4 times they have got within £ 1,500 of DTD and I thought that was a small premium to pay for a local car.

MrRight likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    Is it right that you can choose which local dealer you go to or do you have no choice because the broker gets the best deal he can which could mean that the dealer is miles away?

Do you also have a choice of registration number from a a list or is it already decided by the dealer?

If there is a delay in receiving the car for one reason or another can you complain and get a discount?

Does anyone think that the 'Brexit' fiasco will affect the price at all if I order next week or next month?

Thanks for all of your replies by the way, this will be my most expensive purchase of a car so far and I am a little nervous :(

7. MrRight

MrRight Active Member

Car:
    if you used carwow , then you get in touch with the dealers based on their offer . they could be far away yes . I got my most recent one from Cambridge. I live in surrey.

no discount etc for a delay on production line . it is just one of those things. you could threaten to pull out I suppose and they may or may not budge . possibly the latter if the build is already heavily discounted.

note , the vehicle price changes each quarter but the dealer will not force you to pay more and you may end up paying less . I did lol Brexit could have an effect.

regarding reg number, you can speak to the dealer as part of the ordering process and discuss that. you could even personalize your number plate. they can sort that out for you during the ordering process . usually the reg number will use the letters from which area the dealership that is dealing the reg process.

8. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    Thanks for your reply!
    That information is very useful indeed!

I think I am going to use Drive The Deal to get me the best deal because the reviews I have seen do not seem to be negative and everything seems to be above board legally and morally.
    As long as I can use a a local Mercedes Benz dealer for any after sales issues and servicing needs I should be fine.
    If I do have any issues soon after receiving the car will my local dealer in the Manchester area be obliged to resolve them even if I bought the car from a dealer in Birmingham for example?

I feel silly asking this question but it's because this will be my first time of buying a car brand new but ..... Do you still have to 'run the engine in' for the first few thousand miles or so by not driving over 50mph etc?

I am beginning to put a picture together now of how the process will occur and just hope that I can be patient enough to wait around 2 months for the car to be delivered.

Thanks!

9. MrRight

MrRight Active Member

Car:
    I wouldn't feel silly at all about asking those questions. you can take your car in to any dealer for service and repairs , sure . You can even check that with the Birmingham dealer. I normally use epsom for service and repairs and issues but got my last three cars from guildford and cambridge

running in - yes still needs to be done . it's around 1k miles. the speed restriction on my bigger cars were 85mph and 4.5 k revs. the a class light be 70 or 80 speed limit and probably similar revs. the great thing about these over complicated new mercs is that if you leave the car in auto shifting mode , the computer will keep the revs nice and low during the run in and will go higher before shifting the closer you get to the 1k. very clever stuff. the one thing I would avoid is doing kick downs. also the vehicle tends to not shift as aggressively when the transmission is cold for example. very good implementation of tech and very clever cars.

the run in period will fly by . also gives you a chance to get to know the car and its features, sort of like a mini induction course lol

10. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    Ah, so the cars computer knows the mileage of the car and controls the revs to some extent so as not to damage the engine etc..

You can tell that I am not used to these new technological advances in vehicles can't you lol

I have sat in a nearly new A Class at my local dealer with the MBUX system and advanced sat nav package including the electric panoramic sunroof and I was blown away by the build quality and the materials used.

My last two cars have been 3.0L V6 engines and I am hoping that dropping down to a 2.0L engine wont be a massive disappointment and I will still feel a powerful engine propelling me forward with the extra power there if need to overtake on country roads and also the cruise comfort on the motorway.

Would the best way to gauge the difference be to look at the BHP of the engines of the A Class A250 and my previous vehicles?

11. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    [QUOTE="JohnnyBravo21, post: 2680231, member: 141802

My last two cars have been 3.0L V6 engines and I am hoping that dropping down to a 2.0L engine wont be a massive disappointment and I will still feel a powerful engine propelling me forward with the extra power there if need to overtake on country roads and also the cruise comfort on the motorway.

Would the best way to gauge the difference be to look at the BHP of the engines of the A Class A250 and my previous vehicles?[/QUOTE]

BHP comparison is pretty meaningless, power to weight ratio will be a better comparison but other factors such as the torque output and the rpm for the torque peak along with gear ratios can affect acceleration.

12. MrRight

MrRight Active Member

Car:
    hahaha, well I didnt expect it either when I broke in the first one recently and when I broke in the second one I was quite convinced that the brain of the car is there working in the background.

the A250 should be plenty quick for sure , hitting 60 from 0 in just over 6 seconds , though not sure how it compares to your previous two cars . in what application were those v6 engines ?

13. JBD

Car:
    There’s no running in period on non AMG Mercedes-Benz that you have to follow. Personally I recommend taking things easy for the first thousand miles, but it’s not going to invalidate your warranty.

Choosing your reg is completely down to the dealership you end up with. We normally give people a choice of 5-15 when their car arrives, depending on what we have available

If you are looking to do something soon, there’s a free servicing offer you could benefit from if you’re able to source a car before the end of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    I have seen the current offer of free servicing for 3 years but when you think about it surely the car will only need one service in that time anyway?

So maybe that would be a saving of £200 - 300 ?

I have been quoted just over £31k for the car with Drive The Deal brokers and I am going to give my local Mercedes dealer in Stockport Manchester the opportunity to get as close to that as possible, if they can go as low as £32k I would prefer to go with the dealers and buy local. Maybe they would even throw in one of those smart black 'Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team' jackets to clinch the deal lol

The only negative that is stopping from ordering with the brokers is that they have quoted me delivery in February next year and I am not sure I will be patient enough for that, If these cars were readily available in the showrooms to buy now I would do after a test drive. But the spec I want with 4matic etc is not built yet.

Would buying from the dealers get me a car the right spec any sooner? Do they get priority over the brokers as in lead times?

Here's hoping lol

15. JBD

Car:
    Mercedes are annual servicing, so yes, it’s definitely a benefit

What’s the full spec and colour you want. I’ll look national now and tell you when the earliest you could get one is

16. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    I posted the spec in my first post if you scroll up you should see it :)

17. JBD

Car:
    There’s one already ordered in the spec, arriving late December. It has the aluminium trim, prem plus and both tech packs, polar white

18. MrRight

MrRight Active Member

Car:
    Glad to hear that it wont affect your warranty , as an insider , how would merc know a vehicle has been abused, does the onboarding computer record and retain all this info even well after the run in period ? ofcourse it is possibly preferable to run all vehicles in . not just for the engine but for other components like brakes etc

Attached Files:

19. OP
    OP
    JohnnyBravo21

JohnnyBravo21 New Member

Car:
    None
    I would love to put my name on that one then when you get it in the showroom I would be very interested indeed!

Please keep me informed of it's arrival.

Thanks

20. JBD

Car:
    That’s not to me! There’s one coming through to the uk, not my specific dealership