A class key (transponder??) 'challenge'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

castleby

Car
A 160 LWB & A 160 SWB, manual
I have just bought my second A class, it's an A160 Classic2001 (my other is an A 160 **********e) because I think they are superb!
But It has a few 'challenges' which I hope someone can help with.
Both my wife and I drive both cars, so need to be able to open and use them.

One remote key (and transponder) was supplied with the car, but the blade does not come our easily as it should - is this an easy repair.
The key works and starts the car, but does not open the doors, although the remote does - does this mean the ignition has been changed at some time?
Can Mercedes, or someone else supply a key to open the doors?
Is there actually a 'transponder' in the key which has to be there for the car to start, or am I on the wrong track?
The internal light will not go off (so bulbs removed) - any ideas on the fault?
The alarm set for the first few nights, but now the alarm goes off about three four minutes after locking the car with the remote, any ideas?

Thank you for any help given.

The interior light problem could be a door switch issue and will probably be related to the alarm activation. A test on a Star will find this. The PSE pump for thr CL sysytem could also be at fault. Get it on a Star.

New keys are only available from MB.

Mercedes will only be able to order a key to a lock number on thier system, BUT this will be the locks it left the facotry with unless at any point the car has had a lock set done at a dealer in which they would of amended the system.

A modern MB key actually has 3 'transmitters', iirc;
An rf transmitter for remote door opening
An ir transmitter for convenience opening/closing of all windows/doors at close range, in line of sight
Plus a transponder for activating the Electronic Ignition System

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom