A class noisy tappet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi gang ...

Another question ...

Our A class ( w168 A190 ) the last couple of days has had what sounds like a noisy tappet when started from cold over the last couple of days ( not had it before )

It clears after about 2 minutes , but it sounds dreadful while it is noisy.

Going to get the oil flushed / changed as first port of call ( unknown how old the oil in it is ) ...

Any other ideas ? anything to worry about ?

Thanks

H

Various friends have had cars with noisy tappets, the most recent being a Mk1 MX5 (quite common I gather). If the oil change doesn't help matters, as long as it goes within a few minutes I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. It would however make me not use the car for short journeys to save that wear and tear.

I imagine Olly will be long with a more definitive answer.

Trouble is , it's only used for short journeys ( 5 / 6 miles ) , although the times it is used it can take 30 minutes to do them ...

It's usually gone within a few hundred yards of pulling away from my house.

I wonder what has made it start now when it hasn't done it before ?

It had been standing for a few days during the coldest weather ....

Oil change first, maybe a flush.

It's been very, very cold recently, so sludgy thick old oil could take longer to pump the lifters up, if it's a hydraulic tappet issue.

For the cost of an oil change, it'd be my first port of call :)

Will

Wynns make some stuff for Hydraulic Lifters....sling some in with the new oil ....it cleans the varnish and crud from within the lifters and lets the new oil pump up the lifters which is why you are getting that clattery noise on start up...ie its taking time for the oil to pump up the lifters.

When changing the oil, also sling some engine flush into the engine prior to changing the oil as that will also help shift some of the crud and varnish that has built up in the engine.

My partner's A140 rattles for a few seconds on start up but then it is fine. As others have said, an engine flush might do the trick. If you are changing the oil it may be worth removing the sump and checking the oil strainer.

Cheers Vlad

So , put engine flush in BEFORE changing the oil ? mix it with the old stuff ?

Any ideas why it should suddenly start doing it?

I did a Google for noisy tappets and MBClub was the 2nd link! (the forum casts a wide net :) )

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/5676-noisy-tappet.html

That Wynns additive might be worth a try then.

The instructions don't mention the need for an oil change so personally I'd:

change oil
if noise reduces or goes away, excellent
if noise is still there add the Wynns, leave in and monitor.

Last edited:
It is quite normal H.

Do a flush out firstly and see if it gets any better.

Booked it in with local garage tomorrow morning for flush and new oil / filter.

Will let you know.

Thanks everyone. :)

Hi Howard. Have you got your car back?

By unfortunate coincidence my car was also sounding a bit noisy this morning. So I'm now wondering whether to change from 15W/50 to 5W/50 and if Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter is worth a shot.

Thanks.

Yep , got it back , had it flushed , new oil , new filter ....

Seems ok , won't know for definate until tomorrow morning though , after it has sat overnight , but will let you know . :)

I'd keep the oil in spec , but flush it as well as changing it

All AOK this morning , nice and quiet from startup. :bannana:

I would agree about using a lower viscosity oil during winter, maybe a 0/30 or 5/30 perhaps then change up slightly in late Spring/early Summer.

The Forte oil flush is very, very good at clearing sticky tappets and may be worth using if you can get hold of some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom