A CLass? Or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt32AMG, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Matt32AMG

Matt32AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
    OK guys had this conversation a while back and didn't action anything, however the Space wagon, (the current shopping trolly MPV), is looking like its on its last legs so I could well be in the market for a replacement. Not brand new, (having just spent a reasonable amount on the CLK350 Cab a couple of months back), but I think something 2005 onwards.

So whats the opinion spec wise, I'm thinking LWB but aside from that open to suggestions.

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    I thought I'd prefer the extra torque of the diesels over the 1.5 petrol, but having now driven both a few times, I've concluded that I'd prefer the petrol in basic trim and keep the 'diesel premium' in my back pocket.

I was sniffing around the MB website a few weeks ago, and there were several stickered at around £5,800 and less with a little pre-Christmas-not-to-mention-in-the-grip-of-a-global-financial-crisis discount.

3. blondebier

blondebier Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Ever thought of an Audi A2?

I'd probably get one of these instead of an A class. They're all aluminium so no rust issues. The 1.4TDI is very frugal and is in the lower car tax bracket. (£35 per year I think)

Might be worth a look? Prices look pretty good too at the moment.

4. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

A200 Turbo,

There was one for around 9K with a great spec the other day when I was looking. THey don't do that engine now but with the SLK and CLK thats a nice model.

:)

5. Skintia99

Skintia99 Active Member

Car:
    Hunting for W210 / Saab 9-3 (Company car)
    A-Class would be a good choice IMO, I had a A160 CDI once as a loaner and found it VERY underpowered, other than that it was a nice car and very spacious

6. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    I've owned an A2 TDI (90PS) and can confirm it's a very nice car. Good quality, clever design meaning 2 adults can comfortably sit in the back, 65mpg, £35 tax and service intervals upto 30k miles.

7. OP
    OP
    Matt32AMG

Matt32AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
    Hell no, never occured to me, I'll take a look when i get back to the Uk tomorrow. Cheers ;)

8. Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    I would consider the A2 over the A class too to be honest.... I've been in one, and i actually had space to sit! Which in my C-class is a bit of a challenge :p

And it happened to be a 1.4tdi, which was more torquey than i expected, was really impressed.

9. Spin_bowler

Spin_bowler Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LR Discovery, Audi A4 Avant, Smart For Two
    If you go down the A2 route make sure you get aircon/climate as it was a cost option on some models. When I ran an A6 the dealer used to dish out boggo A2's as (dis)courtesy cars and they never had air and were unbearably hot in the summer months. I guess due to the tall design and large glass areas. Nice car otherwise and interior superior to similar age A-Class IMO.

Tags: