A-Class - Radiator & Pollen Filter Questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TazzyK

Car
A140 Avantgarde
Hi All,

I have a couple of questions - 1 technical, and 1 not so technical. Firstly, having picked up some great information from Lofty's website, I managed to service the A140 today. Everything went great until I came to replacing the pollen filter - I couldn't find it! The car does have a/c, but there's no pollen filter (or the 'draw' to put the filter in) under the scuttle panel as per lofty's site. Is it possible that not all cars with a/c had pollen filter's fitted, or even more wildly, does the pollen filter location vary on some models? Mine is an A140 Avantgarde (2001 facelift).

Second question, and the more technical one, during servicing the car, I noticed the radiator was leaking pretty bad. I need to get this replaced, but I can't find any information on the internet from anyone who may have replaced there's themselves. Can this be DIY'd and if so, can anyone point me towards the corret guide (or give me a run-down). I've never done one before so any advise appreciated.

TIA.

Ok, answered my own question about the pollen filter - I don't know what I was looking at earlier, but I've now discovered by reading Lofty's website again that the wiper arms need to be removed and the complete cover removed to get to the filter - will do that tomorrow after I've done the brakes (all A-classes are fitted with a pollen filter regardless of having a/c or not).

Still need help with the radiator though ....

Ok, answered my own question about the pollen filter - I don't know what I was looking at earlier, but I've now discovered by reading Lofty's website again that the wiper arms need to be removed and the complete cover removed to get to the filter - will do that tomorrow after I've done the brakes (all A-classes are fitted with a pollen filter regardless of having a/c or not).

Still need help with the radiator though ....

Hi tazzy
I've just joined and you pollen filter info is very helpful as I think my filter needs doing but it sounds like a lot of hassle doing it. :wallbash:
Hope someone tells you how to do the rad if you have not already done it :dk:

No problems Bigwill - that's what forums are for. Unfortunately, I've had to work my way through a fair few Mercedes forums and join them as there seems to be a reluctance for anyone to acknowledge let alone reply. I've never experienced any such reluctance on any forum for other makes. Shame really.

I'm fairly sure that the Haynes manual covers changing the radiator.

I'm certain it does - but if I had access to that at the time of the query, I wouldn't have asked here. These forums contain a lot of knowledge and it shouldn't be too much trouble to help fellow members out...

I'm certain it does - but if I had access to that at the time of the query, I wouldn't have asked here. These forums contain a lot of knowledge and it shouldn't be too much trouble to help fellow members out...

Sorry, I was trying to help you. I have an A-class myself, but have never needed to remove the radiator. So rather than give possibly incorrect info I thought that I would direct you to a possible source of answers...

:cool: No problem, have you sorted out a new radiator yet?

Nope not yet... well, at least not how it should be sorted. I just added some K-Seal to the system and it 'seems' to have done the trick for now. Time will tell, but I guess its given a bit of grace at least.

The pollen filter was as black as mud. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been changed since the car was first made - all that work to change a filter? And there was also so much muck and stuff under the scuttle - it was a good job I finally replaced the filter, not only because of ventilation, but because it gave me the opportunity to clean up the area and clear out the central drain which was blocked, and the two side drains which weren't too bad.

The pollen filters are a pain on your model. I changed the one on my wife's several times when she had it - it's worth keeping an eye on the actual wiper arm, near the spindle fitting, as it is not unknown for them to shear here. Happened to me, only time I've known such a fault: I understand that there was a 'Mercedes service - check', or similar, back around 2004/5/6 ish. Not enough for a recall they told me!

It won't help to know that the pollen filter is easy on the newer model.

Radiator: I haven't changed one, but an old pocket service manual states that the expansion tank, windscreen washer reservoir need to be moved aside for access, the bumper needs to be removed (unclip from side guides to pull forward, as well as assorted clips), remove both headlights, detach the front reinforcement panel and lower it, with bonnet lock attached. Remove air intake.

There's obviously the need to drain system (drain plug bottom radiator, + another on one of hoses - near inlet manifold and above drive shaft), usual assortemnt of hoses/connectors and extra coolant tubes if auto transmission.

Also, if Parctronic (PTS) fitted, additional electrical connector to be disconnected on LH and RH foglamps. - The latter might vary, depending whether you have facelifted model with foglamps integral with headlamp unit - don't know answer to that.

Detach air conditioning condenser.

The above is a summary of the suggested method for removing, and doesn't cover all the various clips/bolts etc, but it is certainly not a straightforward job, by the sound of it.

If I was considering doing it, I think I'd be inclined to read the Haynes Manual first.

Good luck, if you haven't already sorted it.

Thanks for the reply Tony.

It seems the car has been neglected in the past, so I'm trying to put things right slowly (most of the worrying stuff has been done).

The car is a facelift with the intergral foglamps (I did for a while think the car was involved in an impact and the incorrect bumper fitted until I finally discovered where the foglamps were lol).

The radiator seems like it will be something best left to someone who's done a few before. For now, the K-Seal seems to be doing a great job, so hoping it will last a few months more before a radiator transplant become absolutely necessary (car is only used locally)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom