A Class ride quality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HotJambalaya

Car
C63
Just wondering how they are, according to a little googling, some people seem to think they're quite harsh?

I'm thinking of getting one for my (very elderly) aunt who has a budget of around £8k. Torn between auto and manual since shes been driving manual for 60 years!

something like this looks tidy?

Used Mercedes-benz A Class Hatchback A150 Classic Se 5dr | Hensons Cars

My other option seems honda jazz, or maybe the Toyota Yaris

Thoughts?

To be honest non of these ride particularly well. If you want a small car that rides well I would take a look at the French manufacturers such as Renault Citroen or Peugeot-- their cars do tend to have their down side tho -which seems to be weak electrics. What about a Skoda Fabia- good ride, easy to get in and out , well built, helpful dealers etc That's if you can get past the badge snobbery thing of course!

Depends what you're comparing it to. I find them very harsh, but i'm sure many small hatchbacks are these days as that seems to be the automotive trend to make cars unbearable to spend time in as long as they can go round the nurburgring 0.1 seconds quicker...

The ride is better than the first generation A-Class. Nowhere near as jittery. If they're not pushed they're not bad. I had an auto A150 on hire several times - I never thought the fuel economy was that good.

The seating position feels a bit higher and more commanding than something like a Jazz.

IMO the Jazz is well built but doesn't quite feel it (TBH I think it feels cheap). The A-Class does feel well built.

If I was choosing between the two I'd prefer the A150 if it had a decent warranty and I wasn't concerned about the fuel economy. But if economy or reliability worries were an issue then I'd go with the Jazz.

Yes, the ride is firm - but acceptable from 2005 on. IMO the suspension was further refined in the post-2008 facelift. Which? said the reliability of the later version has been 'impeccable' - wouldn't go that far, but they do feel v solid and well built. They are also tyre - and tyre pressure - sensitive.

If she's very elderly I'd suggest something easy to get into and out of. If she's used to driving a manual then buy her a manual

What are the bumpers like on her existing car? If they're scuffed as hell, and the wheels are kerbed, then buy a car with black plastic bumpers and steel wheels

If she lives in the country then a Honda CRV might be just the thing

Nick Froome

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Honda crv will be too big for her, she lives in central London, and her current car (a rover 25!) has more then enough dings and scrapes on it!

I don't think I could go with something French, it's either German or Japanese. Think ill take her to a car supermarket to look at the A class, Yaris, and Jazz. Maybe one of the little vaxhall jobs, though I know absolutely nothing about them! -I have to say that I saw a jazz today and didn't realise that the rear seats folded up which could potentially be very usefull!

How about.....

Rover 25 Streetwise
Rover_25_Streetwise_urban_on-roader_2003_Uk.jpg

VW Polo Dune
$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDMbBQSGQeKJe!~~48_80.JPG

We had a peugeot 107 hire car when we went to Madeira and it rode so much better than 168 or 169 a class IMO.
Engine was gutless, but very easy to drive and park and handling was very forgiving.
I believe they are cheap as chips and toyota and citroen do a version of it.

Thanks for some excellent ideas, however, (unfortunately?) the garage called and said her car is fine, so she's going to merrily carry on with her Rover 25 for the time being! I'm rather grumpy about it and have half a mind to sneak out and knobble it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom