A Class Semi Automatic Clutch System Faulty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merowner

Hi
If anyone out there can help with this it would be very much appreciated.

My wifes A Class has developed a fault on the semi automatic clutch system. When you start driving it after a while "F" appears on the gear selection panel and you can not find any other gear.
If you turn the engine off for a while is seems to temporarily fix itself.
My local garage has had the car now for ten days and they can not tell us what the problem is.
They say they can replace the clutch but that will cost £700.00 and the problem might not be solved. It could need a new gearbox.
Any suggestions please?

Take it to a Merc dealer for diagnosois. They see these all the time so should have a reasonable idea and can read the codes.

Packing in of the clutch servo is a good bet.

We have a problem similar to yours on our Smart where it will not go into reverse when cold. MB want to change the clutch plate , but reading the Smart forums tells me that problems with these boxes are rife and very hard to fix - if ever!

I have an A160 auto in my place for a new auto box. Believe me when I say its easier to do a box swap by removing the engine and suspension / sub frame. Horrid, horrid things :D:devil:

WIS says that you can change the box by lowering one side of the engine. Having looked at it (Had not seen your linked thread) I had deduced that it would be easier and safer to drop the engine complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom