A class small screens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s due to the Australian tax system. Germany’s artificially low currency allows Mercedes to maximise profits as it is.

My argument is that cheap Chinese iPads replacing analogue dials that are more expensive should not be sold as a £1400 “upgrade”. I would expect them to be standard.

If I was buying privately I wouldn’t be paying list price anyway. This will be a company car.

I’m sure your company is paying far from list price for this vehicle too, probably less than any private buyer could achieve.

So to clarify, the issue is that your expectation of what MBUK should have chosen as the standard spec is higher than what it is. The solution is that you’re going to have to pay to get the spec you want.

My issue is that the standard screens look cheap and awful. I’m surprised Mercedes allowed them to go into production. Not good for their image.

Reviews and sales figures suggest otherwise

The Australian and other comparable markets get the bigger screen as standard. Mercedes will be paying peanuts for them from China. They will be much cheaper than the older analogue dials. It’s cost cutting marketed and sold as technology upgrades. The “upgrades” are cheap mass produced Chinese components with no moving parts.

My situation is frustrating. CLA with a 1.3 or A220 with 2 phone sized displays which are not flush to the surround. I appreciate others are not in the same situation. If I could order the CLA with a 2.0 I would.

So you would rather have a larger cheap Chinese made part than a small one? Im confused by what you want....

[emoji23] exactly! The standard spec is stronger than the previous model and comparable to competitors entry level. I see a huge amount of standard AMG Line cars and most have LEX Autolease on the number plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as a pointer about other markets, here’s the standard A220 4Matic in Germany, which is interestingly £100 more expensive than the standard AMG Line in the UK!

I think it’s pretty clear who’s getting better value for money

d069798d47d54ff8f7dca6a71aa6d674.jpg

d0960b1ffa127d59565fda8484ab9d8c.jpg

‘German economy is totally different to the uk economy. Standard of living is higher. People earn more and things cost more. I’m shocked the difference is only £100.

‘German economy is totally different to the uk economy. Standard of living is higher. People earn more and things cost more. I’m shocked the difference is only £100.

Sorry, have you seen the pictures? It has plastic wheels. £100 wasn’t the only difference [emoji28]

I’m sure your company is paying far from list price for this vehicle too, probably less than any private buyer could achieve.

So to clarify, the issue is that your expectation of what MBUK should have chosen as the standard spec is higher than what it is. The solution is that you’re going to have to pay to get the spec you want.

‘I’ll just get another car without the worst dash in car history.

Show me a review with the small screens. Every review car has at least £10k of options

So you would rather have a larger cheap Chinese made part than a small one? Im confused by what you want....

Obviously. The large displays look good (review cars), the small ones awful. My point is the new Chinese displays are cheaper for merc to buy than what they have replaced (analogue dials and a screen), so I don’t buy this £1400 upgrade nonsense. It’s a total rip off.

Have a look at this 7 inch screens

If you are not a merc salesman or the type that wears a “I drive a Mercedes” tshirt you would agree.

I like the current merc range. I just think they messed up bad with these displays.

What I have seen happening at the lower end of the market for some time now, is that manufactures 'sprinkle' options on cars to make them look more clever and more upmarket than they actually are. In contrast to the olden days where trim level meant additional features that where in line-with each other. I would say that instead of 'trim level' we should now be referring to 'selected options pack'.

‘I’ll just get another car without the worst dash in car history.

Show me a review with the small screens. Every review car has at least £10k of options

Obviously. The large displays look good (review cars), the small ones awful. My point is the new Chinese displays are cheaper for merc to buy than what they have replaced (analogue dials and a screen), so I don’t buy this £1400 upgrade nonsense. It’s a total rip off.

Have a look at this 7 inch screens

If you are not a merc salesman or the type that wears a “I drive a Mercedes” tshirt you would agree.

I like the current merc range. I just think they messed up bad with these displays.

The small displays are cheaper, which I’m sure will be reflected in the company car tax you pay.

I’ve just had a look at the German configurator for you and the difference is £7,500 when you choose the options to get to the standard UK spec.

This is one of the cheap, Chinese electric cars we will be seeing more of in the coming years. Imagine how much merc would want for this.

Chinese displays are cheap. That doesn’t mean bad. They don’t cost a lot of money. 4B09DCAE-3CEC-4614-B892-0B7951ED15E6.jpeg

The small displays are cheaper, which I’m sure will be reflected in the company car tax you pay.

I’ve just had a look at the German configurator for you and the difference is £7,500 when you choose the options to get to the standard UK spec.

That is the problem with company cars. I pay for the options and get taxed on the price including the options.

The drivers display isn’t so bad but a 7” multimedia screen is awful. They actually look bad too. Really cheap, not flush.

I like the A class saloon. But not enough to look at that dash everyday and not enough to pay £1400 for a 10” tablet.

I’m not saying merc are bad. Just frustrating in my situation.

With regard to my views on the 1.3. Again it’s not bad, but not for me. I’ve just reluctantly sold my Alfa QF and I’m looking at maybe another 911 to replace it. I just prefer bigger engines.

That is the problem with company cars. I pay for the options and get taxed on the price including the options.

The drivers display isn’t so bad but a 7” multimedia screen is awful. They actually look bad too. Really cheap, not flush.

I like the A class saloon. But not enough to look at that dash everyday and not enough to pay £1400 for a 10” tablet.

I’m not saying merc are bad. Just frustrating in my situation.

With regard to my views on the 1.3. Again it’s not bad, but not for me. I’ve just reluctantly sold my Alfa QF and I’m looking at maybe another 911 to replace it. I just prefer bigger engines.

Apologies, I’m struggling to understand. Being taxed on the total price of the car is a problem?

Surely it’s reasonable that you’re taxed on something you’re getting a benefit from?

Personally I’d go A200 AMG Line Auto Executive or Premium. I wouldn’t waste the difference on the 220 or the 4Matic

Apologies, I’m struggling to understand. Being taxed on the total price of the car is a problem?

Surely it’s reasonable that you’re taxed on something you’re getting a benefit from?

Personally I’d go A200 AMG Line Auto Executive or Premium. I wouldn’t waste the difference on the 220 or the 4Matic

Company car tax is expensive to begin with. Being taxed on the value of the car is fair enough, but if I’ve paid for the options why should I pay tax on those too? Thats why I resent paying for options on company cars. I’ve made the mistake to many times.

It’s more frustrating when you need a car for your job too. I once took a car allowance Instead of a company car, but insurance was a issue as you can only use ncd on one car. So I need a company car.

I might test drive the 1.3 and see what it’s like.

BMW have gone mad with the new 1 series. 3 cylinder 118i or 135i with nothing in between.

I fully understand the OP's frustration, though to be honest the UK taxation issue is really our own problem, and not MB's fault.

It will cost them sales imo. Silly to do it in the uk but not USA and aus.

I’d rather have analogue dials. Funny how they save a fortune using cheap Chinese tablets instead, and try sell it to customers as a £1100 “upgrade”. View attachment 89616

The 7” multimedia screen would look pathetic in a Kia, let alone a £34k Mercedes.

IMO that interior looks awful.

While I've railed against MB-UK's packaging of options in the past (and continue to do so), the reality is that they've decided what gets included in the standard car and what you have to pay for as options, including forcing you to take - and pay for - a number of options that you don't want so you can get the one or two options you do want. I don't like it, but that's the way it is so I have two options: suck it up or take my money elsewhere.

If the OP wants to go down the Alfa or VW route purely based upon a dislike of the standard A-Class instrument cluster that's his prerogative, but if it were me I'd at least drive the things before making a decision. There's more to a car than what the speedo looks like...

Y
All I can say is that German car makers are well known for producing no-frill basic versions of their cars where almost every creature comfort is a paid option.
You might be referring to the days hen company cars were taxed on list price, added options were not taxed...cue loads of MB and BMW with cloth interior , no radio, winding windows, steel wheels , flat paint etc etc Back then you could add many thousands to the car without being taxed on that bit :p

I agree, too Tesla-esque, and not in a good way.

My car is still old school but, in my son's Q7 and E53 AMG, the screens are properly integrated into the dash and look quite nice. That A class screen looks like an afterthought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom