A class small screens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMO that interior looks awful.

‘I agree. Unfortunately that’s the way things are going. These screens are not expensive. Don’t fall for the merc bs. Cost saving sold as a upgrade.

While I've railed against MB-UK's packaging of options in the past (and continue to do so), the reality is that they've decided what gets included in the standard car and what you have to pay for as options, including forcing you to take - and pay for - a number of options that you don't want so you can get the one or two options you do want. I don't like it, but that's the way it is so I have two options: suck it up or take my money elsewhere.

If the OP wants to go down the Alfa or VW route purely based upon a dislike of the standard A-Class instrument cluster that's his prerogative, but if it were me I'd at least drive the things before making a decision. There's more to a car than what the speedo looks like...

I’ve just sold a Alfa qf (best car I’ve ever owned and first car I made a profit on) and I’ve had loads of vw/Audi in the past.

Its more than a dislike of the dash, it offends me. Worst I’ve seen in any car by a distance. The surround and 2 small screens must cost merc around £100. It’s tragic.

I ordered a XC40 inscription T5. Not my kind of car (prefer large suv) but 250bhp, awd and decent spec. No extra for the big, daft Chinese tablet in the dash either. Should be a good daily.

Last edited:
I ordered a XC40 inscription T5. Not my kind of car (prefer large suv) but 250bhp, awd and decent spec. No extra for the big, daft Chinese tablet in the dash either. Should be a good daily.
Hope you're very happy with it :thumb:

Mercedes putting some options into packages is a good idea, a car with Premium or Premium Plus will be worth more than a standard spec come resale, Jaguar and Land Rover have done this for years and it works well.

However.....not allowing you to spec individual options is a ****ing stupid idea.

It is what made me walk away from Mercedes, paying £3000 to add interior ambient lighting was bad enough, the fact it then pushed the car over the £40k mark meaning an extra £1200 in road tax over the 4 years was too much to swallow.

That and not being able to remove all the chrome trim and have a light interior.

Hope you're very happy with it :thumb:

I’ll be getting something much more fun for the weekend. Can’t afford a AMG gtr so unfortunately no merc on the shortlist.

‘I agree. Unfortunately that’s the way things are going. These screens are not expensive. Don’t fall for the merc bs. Cost saving sold as a upgrade.

I don't disagree that option packs are positioned the way they are mainly due to marketing considerations.

Said that, components purchased by car manufacturers and certified for Automotive use are considerably more expensive than those you can order off AliExpress. The prices for Automotive-certified components are probably second only to Aviation or Military use which are even more expensive.

There are various factors at play, including resistance to heat, vibration, and UV, as well as glare etc. Keep in mind that with new car warranties any failure means having the car booked-in, full diagnosis carried-out, and the labour for replacing faulty item - all at the manufacturer's cost. Manufacturers will favour parts with higher MTBF - while the cheap stuff isn't even tested for MTBF and no figures are available from the manufacturers. In addition suppliers are forced by the manufacturers to commit to stock levels and availability, all of which come at a cost. The, the items need to be documented on WIS and EPC by professional technical writers, techs trained, etc, even more costs.

And, more importantly, there are potential safety implications (e.g. of instrument cluster failure while driving).

This, by the way, is the main reason while technology implemented in cars is usually one or two generations behind what you might buy in your PC World PC or iPhone, while costing much more.

The reason that I know all this because I was contracting for a tier-1 automotive manufacture for many years... and I have some experience with aviation and mill-spec as well.

I believe the move to option packs, rather than individual options, is at least in part due to the WLPT emissions regs which require EVERY permutation to be tested...

That is truly horrible. It looks just like one of those home-made DIY mods you see in older cars.

I’m glad someone on here isn’t wearing their merc tinted spectacles :)

I could not look at that monstrosity everyday, and I’d need my glasses to see that tiny nav screen.

I was about to order a A220 4matic as my company car

Thinking of going for a Alfa instead.

I was going to order a cla 200 and found out it was a 1.3.

I’m tempted to order a t roc 2.0 tsi 4motion r line.

I’ve just reluctantly sold my Alfa QF and I’m looking at maybe another 911 to replace it.

I ordered a XC40 inscription T5.

I like a guy with a clear vision :p

I see your point on those about those screens though, not the greatest.

Enjoy the Ovlov, nice cars, my older brother has a 19 plate V60

I’d rather have analogue dials

Volvo is digital though, isn’t it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom