A class small screens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keV.

Car
Amarok
How are the 7” displays on the aclass? From looking at the pic on the website they aren’t even flush with the larger surround.

I was about to order a A220 4matic as my company car but was shocked to find the larger dash screens are part of a £1100 option pack.

How much can they be saving using cheap Chinese 7” screens rather than 10” ones?

It’s put me off ordering tbh. Thinking of going for a Alfa instead.

All I can say is that German car makers are well known for producing no-frill basic versions of their cars where almost every creature comfort is a paid option.

Not my first german car. It’s not a basic no frills version either ( A220 4matic AMG line)

The 7” screens are a joke. They look awful. Worst I’ve seen in any car. What were they thinking? They are not even flush with the huge surround.
US and Aus markets don’t have them at all.

I thought it was bad enough when I was going to order a cla 200 and found out it was a 1.3. Jesus weeps.

Both my previous W203 and my current W204 were bought second-hand with Audio20, then upgraded by www.comandonline.co.uk to COMAND with the larger screen.

I have learnt to keep my expectations low when it comes to MB cars spec (or the UK variants at least, as you pointed-out).

Both my previous W203 and my current W204 were bought second-hand with Audio20, then upgraded by www.comandonline.co.uk to COMAND with the larger screen.

I have learnt to keep my expectations low when it comes to MB cars spec (or the UK variants at least, as you pointed-out).

It's not a bad philosophy. I can't see myself owning a 3 year old Android phone but I often buy 10+ year old cars. You can toss out a radio and replace it, but a giant 20 inch LCD display that acts as your instrument cluster is going to be something that will scrap many, otherwise good cars in the future.

How are the 7” displays on the aclass? From looking at the pic on the website they aren’t even flush with the larger surround.

I was about to order a A220 4matic as my company car but was shocked to find the larger dash screens are part of a £1100 option pack.

How much can they be saving using cheap Chinese 7” screens rather than 10” ones?

It’s put me off ordering tbh. Thinking of going for a Alfa instead.

I believe it is called up-selling..

I believe it is called up-selling..

It will cost them sales imo. Silly to do it in the uk but not USA and aus.

I’d rather have analogue dials. Funny how they save a fortune using cheap Chinese tablets instead, and try sell it to customers as a £1100 “upgrade”. B3975426-0CF9-4664-B3DB-C01C5B9D0C09.jpeg

The 7” multimedia screen would look pathetic in a Kia, let alone a £34k Mercedes.

According to CarWow, AMGline are 'the most affordable CLAs', you have to go up to AMGLine Premium trim to get the larger display.

According to CarWow, AMGline are 'the most affordable CLAs', you have to go up to AMGLine Premium trim to get the larger display.

I think the cla has them as standard as well as leather, but the one on my list is a 1.3! The best part of £35k for a 1.3. What a joke.

The A220 4matic AMG line doesn’t, and it’s a costly option for what is a £200 Chinese touchscreen.

They have lost a sale. The standard dash is by far the worst in class and ruins a otherwise good car. It looks like it belongs in a Dacia. Even then it would be awful.

No doubt they will have to make the large screens standard soon. When you compare the standard version to the standard bmw, Audi and vw offerings, it is embarrassing. Even the new A1 has a significantly better set up.

I think the cla has them as standard as well as leather, but the one on my list is a 1.3! The best part of £35k for a 1.3. What a joke.

The A220 4matic AMG line doesn’t, and it’s a costly option for what is a £200 Chinese touchscreen.

They have lost a sale. The standard dash is by far the worst in class and ruins a otherwise good car. It looks like it belongs in a Dacia. Even then it would be awful.

No doubt they will have to make the large screens standard soon. When you compare the standard version to the standard bmw, Audi and vw offerings, it is embarrassing. Even the new A1 has a significantly better set up.
There's a MB salesman on the forum, maybe have a chat with him about your disappointment, I think he's called @JBD

There's a MB salesman on the forum, maybe have a chat with him about your disappointment, I think he's called @JBD

I don’t think it would make a difference really. I’m just glad I seen the screens before I ordered one.

I’m tempted to order a t roc 2.0 tsi 4motion r line. I don’t like crossovers really, but it ticks the 200bhp and awd boxes that are my priorities for a daily. Has the full virtual cockpit too.

The dash in the A220 would irritate me on a daily basis. Shame as I like the car. God knows what they were thinking.

The CLA gets the exec pack as standard, plus leather and wireless charging which is obviously reflected in the price.

It’s all down to budget, MB could have made the bigger screens standard, but the base price would be higher, like the CLA. Clearly there’s a market for a more budget offering.

You’re forgetting that we’re not like VAG group, we don’t have many brands under one umbrella selling several cars the the same market, like Golf, A3, Leon, so it’s essential to have a competitive entry level model for the A Class, one that sells very well in the company car market.

The T Roc has one of the most disappointing interiors of any car I’ve seen recently. It really looks like a strong offering, but I was very surprised by the hard plastics compared to previous VW’s I’ve driven, same in the new polo. They might have a digital instrument cluster, but clearly there’s always a sacrifice for technology upgrades, one that applies to all brands

The CLA gets the exec pack as standard, plus leather and wireless charging which is obviously reflected in the price.

It’s all down to budget, MB could have made the bigger screens standard, but the base price would be higher, like the CLA. Clearly there’s a market for a more budget offering.

You’re forgetting that we’re not like VAG group, we don’t have many brands under one umbrella selling several cars the the same market, like Golf, A3, Leon, so it’s essential to have a competitive entry level model for the A Class, one that sells very well in the company car market.

The T Roc has one of the most disappointing interiors of any car I’ve seen recently. It really looks like a strong offering, but I was very surprised by the hard plastics compared to previous VW’s I’ve driven, same in the new polo. They might have a digital instrument cluster, but clearly there’s always a sacrifice for technology upgrades, one that applies to all brands

The Australian and other comparable markets get the bigger screen as standard. Mercedes will be paying peanuts for them from China. They will be much cheaper than the older analogue dials. It’s cost cutting marketed and sold as technology upgrades. The “upgrades” are cheap mass produced Chinese components with no moving parts.

My situation is frustrating. CLA with a 1.3 or A220 with 2 phone sized displays which are not flush to the surround. I appreciate others are not in the same situation. If I could order the CLA with a 2.0 I would.

The Australian and other comparable markets get the bigger screen as standard. Mercedes will be paying peanuts for them from China. They will be much cheaper than the older analogue dials. It’s cost cutting marketed and sold as technology upgrades.

My situation is frustrating. CLA with a 1.3 or A220 with 2 phone sized displays which are not flush to the surround. I appreciate others are not in the same situation. If I could order the CLA with a 2.0 I would.

You’re right, but they’re also a lot more expensive in Australia and it’s a completely different market to ours. Would you prefer the list price to be higher and them be included?

I’m struggling to understand your argument here. You’re not willing to pay for them, but you want Mercedes to include them as standard without that being reflected in the price?

Considering that parktronic used to be a £600 option and heated seats £500, I actually think the executive package presents good value at £1,395 including those, the mirror package and the bigger screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine Size is irrelevant unless you want office bragging rights and the executive style chair.

Surely the size of the engine is less important than whether it provides the power and torque to provide appropriate performance and economy. The majority of cars now have smaller engines with some form of forced induction. C’est la vie, due to ever tightening emission regs.

And i happen to think all “smart screen” stye dashboards are an abomination , especially if they incorporate touch sensitive controls.

But at least we still have some choice,

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re right, but they’re also a lot more expensive in Australia and it’s a completely different market to ours. Would you prefer the list price to be higher and them be included?

I’m struggling to understand your argument here. You’re not willing to pay for them, but you want Mercedes to include them as standard without that being reflected in the price?

Considering that parktronic used to be a £600 option and heated seats £500, I actually think the executive package presents good value at £1,395 including those, the mirror package and the bigger screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s due to the Australian tax system. Germany’s artificially low currency allows Mercedes to maximise profits as it is.

My argument is that cheap Chinese iPads replacing analogue dials that are more expensive should not be sold as a £1400 “upgrade”. I would expect them to be standard.

If I was buying privately I wouldn’t be paying list price anyway. This will be a company car.

Just as a pointer about other markets, here’s the standard A220 4Matic in Germany, which is interestingly £100 more expensive than the standard AMG Line in the UK!

I think it’s pretty clear who’s getting better value for money

d069798d47d54ff8f7dca6a71aa6d674.jpg

d0960b1ffa127d59565fda8484ab9d8c.jpg

Size is irrelevant unless you want office bragging rights and the executive style chair.

Surely the size of the engine is less important than whether it provides the power and torque to provide appropriate performance and economy. The majority of cars now have smaller engines with some form of forced induction. C’est la vie, due to ever tightening emission regs.

And i happen to think all “smart screen” stye dashboards are an abomination , especially if they incorporate touch sensitive controls.

But at least we still have some choice,

My issue is that the standard screens look cheap and awful. I’m surprised Mercedes allowed them to go into production. Not good for their image.

The small engines have no top end and sound awful at speed. I’ve read bad things about the 1.3 in combination with the dct. 2.0 4 pot is the smallest engine I could live with as a daily.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom